Need guidance on making an Arcade Stick for the PS3

Jinko

I need some help on [starting] an Arcade Stick for the PS3.

What I have planned so far is the Art and the Button Placement.

I've also figured that I will be using 1 PS1 controller and one cheapy PS3 controller (for the Home button).

Can anyone assist me as to where to start? Where I can buy the parts (pref. cheap but good).

EDIT: I'm thinking of something like this.
92665138.jpg

1. Joystick
2. Buttons
3. Start/Select
4. Home

Also, I forgot to mention that this is a 2 Player Arcade Stick, if you haven't figured it out yet.

EDIT 2: Oh man... So expensive... I might make 1 Player instead.

Last edited:
Right now, I just need to fully understand how to wire it up. This could influence on what parts I should buy. Also, do you know any good Australian sites? I hate the conversion crap and that I have to pay for more postage too.

Or you could just buy my P1 Mortal Kombat Arcade Stick, and later on you can drill more holes and turn it into a P2.

Playing SFIV on my PS3 sucks, the DS3's dpad sucks. So I found an adapter and will be using my old PS2/Xbox/Gamecube arcade stick on the PS3. Now to make the stick suck less, I'll be ordering a new joystick and maybe new buttons.

3313318293_655e6cb153.jpg

Sorry KK, it just isn't what I'm looking for.

I've decided to make 2x 1 Player Sticks instead. So I had to change the art. What do you guys think?

arcaderyu.png

arcadeken.png

As of now, there are no home buttons. Unless I buy the PBC where pressing Select + Start will trigger the Home button. But that would cost me an extra load of money.

EDIT: Wow Pat. That looks nice. I like the buttons. You know the buttons? Are those the types where you can put a picture IN the buttons? Like, a green paper circle to make the button green, etc. If so, I might reconsider adding the Home Button. Might have to look for a good Sony Logo.

Last edited:
EDIT: Wow Pat. That looks nice. I like the buttons. You know the buttons? Are those the types where you can put a picture IN the buttons? Like, a green paper circle to make the button green, etc. If so, I might reconsider adding the Home Button. Might have to look for a good Sony Logo.

The buttons are staying for now, they seem to work okay. The joystick itself needs to go. i need to get it out first (red cement like goop on bolts right now) and once I do, I can measure if I want to put a Happ or Sanwa stick in there. I think a Sanwa will work since it's already an "inset" hole cut out for it in the wood top, and not mounted to the full wood piece like Happs are mounted.

Here is a picture of the old joystick, this style is no good and has to go! I've ordered some new replacements from LizardLick, hopefully they are in less demand than the other parts they sell.

I also have to find a decent working PS2->PS3 adapter, I found one sold on Shoryuken Forums, but he's out of stock currently.

Attachments

• IMG_0661.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
What about the Happ ones where the center is a square block?
il_eurojoystick_r.jpg

I really want that stick because the whole stick is red AND the dust washer is red also. Since Ken and Ryu are red, I plan to make the buttons and Joystick red. I also prefer the bat style sticks.

What about the Happ ones where the center is a square block?
il_eurojoystick_r.jpg

I really want that stick because the whole stick is red AND the dust washer is red also. Since Ken and Ryu are red, I plan to make the buttons and Joystick red. I also prefer the bat style sticks.

I prefer the feeling of the Happ Competition sticks, it's what is in all Midway fighter cabinets. It is what I have on order to put into my controller. The old one is currently ripped out. I too am using the Red because it's also the color of the MK sticks. I'm going for a RED/WHITE/BLUE button colors as well to match the early SF2/MK arcade color setup.

I also have a better PS2->PS3 adapter ordered from laugh over on shoryuken.com, but like LizardLick the parts are on backorder a few weeks. I am also using a $10 Madcatz Retro Arcade Stick for the Xbox 360 to also adapt this stick for use on the Xbox 360. This will be a nice project once I complete it, may do it in stages.

you bought an inPin?

have you gotten it yet? How much are they again, total after shippin?

Yeah I ordered an InPin, it's a few weeks out yet but I'm on the waiting list since I paid already. It cost me about $25 maybe.

I had ordered a PS2->PS3 converter from Amazon for the same cost, didn't even work with the Dual Shock 2. So I returned that.

The delay in order processing allows me to work on other parts of the stick build out anyways, my parts from LizardLick are also delayed for now. I can take parts from my two arcade Control Panels if I wanted to, but not that far in the project yet. First goal is to get the new Xbox 360 pad soldered up and placed in the housing somewhere. Going to probably rewire the whole thing somehow.

LizardLick seems to be so expensive right now. Have you tried AkihabaraShop.jp? I could get the parts I want AND have express shipping for lower than what I can get at LL.

Pat, or anyone I'm going to need some of your help here.

question.png

Am I able to solder 2 wires to 1 ground? Is that how it always has been?

Also, for example, the O button has the black U and n parts. I've noticed that they don't actually touch. Will anything happen if I solder a wire between the U and n black parts? I mean, it's so hard to just solder on one of the black bits. It's just too thin.

Pat, or anyone I'm going to need some of your help here.

question.png

Am I able to solder 2 wires to 1 ground? Is that how it always has been?

What do you mean by that exactly? You can share or daisy chain to one ground if the pad is common ground, which I believe it is. Basically you solder a single of wire to ground, and run a ground wire all around the joystick from button to button.

Also, for example, the O button has the black U and n parts. I've noticed that they don't actually touch. Will anything happen if I solder a wire between the U and n black parts? I mean, it's so hard to just solder on one of the black bits. It's just too thin.

You do not want to connect those two sides. See the U and N as you call it are only connected when the button is pressed down. You just need to solder a wire onto the non-ground side of the pad.

As far as prices goes, I ordered iL parts from LL which I don't see at that link you gave me. Also shipping from Japan is likely far more $ than the difference in prices.

I am now doing a Clututu MC PCB instead of convert my PS2 to PS3, and also wiring in a Mad Catz retro stick PCB for Xbox 360. I'll then eventually have one USB cable for either system with a switch to change between the two. Then I also have the ability to add in all other consoles back into the joystick when I decide to.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I might just need help on soldering. Does solder get hot enough to burn the green plastic from the PCB?

As much as I regret it, I won't be getting the Red iL stick. Buying from 2 different places is too much of a hassle right now. Instead, I will be getting the LS-33 from that Japanese site. And yes, everything overall is cheaper at Akihabarashop.jp.

Thanks for the help. I might just need help on soldering. Does solder get hot enough to burn the green plastic from the PCB?

As much as I regret it, I won't be getting the Red iL stick. Buying from 2 different places is too much of a hassle right now. Instead, I will be getting the LS-33 from that Japanese site. And yes, everything overall is cheaper at Akihabarashop.jp.

But they don't sell iL/Happ parts, which are the only good ones that work with wood control panels. Japanese/Sanwa parts are meant to be installed to sheet metal panels, not wood. So they are of no use to me.

I already ordered from LL so I'm just waiting another week or so for my parts. It's a few days off still.

Also this will help you a bit, best video I've seen for soldering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4