New Chat Box

Patrick McCarron

TRMK Admin, Co-founder
Staff member
I installed a new chat box yesterday, this is the place to discuss it. Let me know what you do and don't like about it. I've seen a few complaints, so I'd like to discuss them here and not in the chatbox itself.

1) Can't view the extended history. That's by design, and the reason I picked this chat box. The Live Chat Box is just that, a Live Chat Box. Think of it as a way to talk to others who are CURRENTLY ONLINE not those who were online a long time ago. The old one got abused in this respect, so this is here to fix that. That's why it shows you what users are online on the side bar.

2) Smileys not there, they are and they used the same Icon that smileys use in the Post editor. But since it was hard for most to understand, I switched it's icon to a Smiley icon.

Let me know if you have other issues beyond these, and I'll see what I can do.

As others have mentioned, the fact that when you're trying to scroll up to read older comments you get automatically bumped down to the most recent after about a second is quite annoying. Otherwise, no complaints.

As others have mentioned, the fact that when you're trying to scroll up to read older comments you get automatically bumped down to the most recent after about a second is quite annoying. Otherwise, no complaints.

The problem is that it's refreshing the box, nothing I can do about that. Just hold down on the scrollbar when scrolling up, then no problem exists.

I like the Chat box A LOT better than the shoutout box. And the only way we are "online" is if we chat? is that how it works.

Online should be anyone who is on the forum, I can also make it only online if you chat. But this works better.

The problem is that it's refreshing the box, nothing I can do about that. Just hold down on the scrollbar when scrolling up, then no problem exists.

Actually, even when you hold down the scrollbar, it still does that. But if it's not fixable, I suppose that's a moot point anyway.

Actually, even when you hold down the scrollbar, it still does that. But if it's not fixable, I suppose that's a moot point anyway.

Odd it works fine for me that way. I changed the timeout, it should happen less. But it may make the chat laggy, hard to tell rightnow.

Doesn't matter... I had a problem with the shoutbox that after about 3 or 4 messages it would crash and I'd have to refresh the page to get it working again. Its in fact one of the reasons why I've been so silent for a while. The Chatbox does the same thing to me.

I tweaked the user's colors on the forums because of the chatbox.

All moderators and above now have bold names, and the regular users have blue names. I also made banned usernames pink to be funny.

Awesome. I always wanted to see my name in bold. *sheds single tear*

Now when some little pissant member comes in and thinks he's better than me, I can say, "oh yeah? Look at the thickness of my name, buddy."

Next time we need italics and 50-point font size.

Ha ha, that little bastard's name is pink now.

Now that we've had it for a bit, do most people agree we should go back to the old chat box? I may be able to add the "who's online" to the old chatbox.

Now that we've had it for a bit, do most people agree we should go back to the old chat box? I may be able to add the "who's online" to the old chatbox.

yes. the site has been acting up and I've been having troubles ever since you changed it. (KornKombat has too, and Vixen mentioned something recently too)

The only thing I could really request for the "old" chat box is that it saves your properties (color, font, etc)

other than that, I'm good to go. :mrgreen: