So what would you keep/change for MK9?

Seeing Raiden in MKvsDCU with his classic pose was an awesome sight. Though, that would mean all the ninjas would have the same pose. Hmm.. What do you guys think?

Ya' know what I think would be funny? When Baraka wins a fight and gets to do a fatality, he starts playing a triangle bell and yells "Feeding time!". Then a group of hungry Tarkatan munchkins start devouring the other guy like rabid piranhas. Then Shao Kahn's voice echoes "Baraka wins! Munchkinality!"

Before I say anything about the game I'd like to say first that I'm happy to see people hyped up about MK9.
I know people who are already criticizing the game negatively and it hasnt even hit the stores yet. Oh well, **** em! LOL

I read alot of good stuff on this thread.

These are things I would have

-Freefall kombat
-The fighting system MCvsDC had only with major improvements. (No bs flash combos) LOL
-Have a balanced character roster of classic characters as well as new ones.

Ill add more in a future post.

Most of the stuff i want has been said but there is one thing really important:

The characters need ALL of their original moves.

I would keep:

1. Gameplay Engine
-The gameplay felt the best out of all the 3D MK games, so no need to waste time coming up with an all new engine. Just tweak the one already there, and just apply polish anywhere needed to make it run smoother.
2. Freefall Kombat
-This seemed to fit in well during transitions, and I don't see the harm in making that part interactive as opposed to not.

I would change:

1. Make it darker.
a. Gore:
-I know it was going for a T rating, but this time around I want it to be dark, edgy, gritty, and shocking. MK used to set the standard for violence and edgy themes. What's considered "dark" and "violent" has changed since almost 2 decades ago, so it's time to ramp it up. I want to see dead bodies throughout levels. I want to see blood used in all kinds of ways, but only where it's effective, not just for the hell of it. Dead animals, dead children, dead babies, severed limbs, people hanging, skeletons, crap, vomit...I mean anything. Make it make sense though. No 10 torsos sitting in a room for no reason other than to be "scary". I want to feel bad about playing this game.

b. Levels:
-I want the level design to be creepy and dark. I almost want to say the word "distracting" to descibe how they should be. Environments that make me want to look around as I figh. I want it to make me feel nervous, uncomfortable, and eary just looking at the background as I battle my opponent. I want slaughter houses with dead animals, prisons where the inmates are spewing curse words and throwing fecal matter, insane asylums where they are killing themselves or sitting in corners talking to themselves, morgues with dead bodies and an incenerator, battle grounds with piles of bodies on fire, wastelands with skeletons of animals and people etc. This is some creepy shit. A graveyard with a moon shining down and some tree silouettes just doesn't cut it. Not to say you can't make something like that creepy, but they are way too clean and bare to make it truly unsettling.

c. Fatalities:
-I want to see some really ****ed up stuff along with what we normally get. I recall seeing Reptile eat someone's face off in MK4 and thinking "That's creepy." More of that please. Kano ripping out someone's heart, and then either eating it himself or shoving it into his opponent's mouth. Tearing someone's jaw off. Cut their tongue out. Not all have to be that disturbing, but have them at least be brutal. Such as Quan Chi ripping his opponent's leg off, and then going on to beat them with it. That's not as shocking, but it's vicious. More anger and brutality in their fatalities. Have Raiden grab the opponent by their junk and electrify them, only for them to fall on the ground and then have the MK cabinet fall on them. That sounds a bit childish, but the MK team usually likes that kind of potty humor, but IMO it gives a very torturous feel to it. Another example is have Baraka slice off each limb 1 by one, and then cut of the head and put it on his blade and show it to the camera. That's a dick move, but it's a battle to the death, and Baraka is an evil asshole with a lust for blood, it just seems right he'd want to make his opponent suffer more. Make the player feel like these guys really just want to destroy their opponent.

d. Attires:
-I thought the attires in MKvsDC were a step in the right direction. Most of them felt a lot more realistic and dark. They looked a lot less cartoonish/plastic like, and came off gritty. Keep going in that direction and just do everyone's model/attire like that. No more showy or flashy designs, only for alternates if they desire, but everyone should have a serious gritty appearance for at least their main attire. This also means no more sexy unrealistic battle attire for females. MK should be pushing the M rating it's fullest, but not because they want to give the girls skimpy attires with realistic boob physics to give all the nerds somethin to picture during their lonely nights. I'm not saying put a sweater on 'em, I'm saying no more bikinis, bras, thongs, or high heels etc.

2. Better Levels.
a. Too empty:
-The level designs in MKvsDC seemed so empty. I want more destructable stuff within the arena they fight in if it makes sense, such as inside environments, so it seems much more realistic and it's just visually interesting to break through stuff. MK:Deception did a great job in some of it's levels with this stuff such as in Beetle's Lair.

b. Death Traps:
-Stage Fatalities were great, but I just don't see how practical or plausible they would be in a 3D environment, with that being said...I thought death traps were a fun addition to levels, and offered a nice visual both in the background as well as the animation of someone being killed by one. Obviously there were some dumb ones that were silly and didn't fit, but then there were others that were just plain awesome to see. The human grinders in the Beetle Lair was very fun to see your opponent get knocked into, as well as the steam roller one in MK:A's armory. These should come with an option to be turned off, as I understand they aren't for everyone, and another option for them to actually end the match rather than just the round, and they should be harder to be knocked into requiring the victim to actually be closer to the zone than previously, thus making it more rewarding when it happens.

c. Weapons:
-I really enjoyed when the stages had weapons, it was another thing that could completely change the way the battle was played. Of course I am one of those people that can't help but spend half the match trying to manuever my way over to grab the weapon, regardless of the fact that I usually get my ass kicked in the process, but that's all part of the fun. Everyone loves options, and if people don't like the weapons, they should just be able to manually turn off all weapons, or just individual weapons for certain levels.

d. Interactive and Diverse Environments:
-I stated before that I would love to have all those gritty, dark, and disturbing places as level environments, but that doesn't mean every level needs to be that way. I would love for some more diverse levels with some actual interactions between the fighters and the environment itself. A field where there's tall grass that you actually can't see the fighter's bodies from around the waist down(I believe Tekken had a level like this in the dark with moonlight, definitely a stunning visual). How about a level that was previously supposed to be included in I think MK:DA, where the fighter's are fighting in a small shallow pond/swamp of sorts, and from the knee down it's water, and have it be morning with some fog and trees/bushes etc. in the background. Those are just a couple of ideas for interactive levels.

e. Changing Levels:
-I was a HUGE fan of the concept of the Falling Cliffs level from MK:D. I just loved how you had to constantly be aware of the outskirts of the arena, and if you were on the outer parts of the circle you needed to manipulate your way to the other side of your opponent, if not you would fall to your death. More stuff like this where the level can morph and things can change and possible open up more parts of the level, or certain parts become dangerous at times like an avalanche, falling rocks, cars, animals etc. that go through part of the path and can hurt or kill you.

3. Modes/Features:
a. Test Your Might:
-There's really no reason not to have this in the game. It's a classic fun little battle, and now with the likes of online, it would be cool to have this as a pre-battle option for some fun friendly competition, and I am sure the MK team can work some sort of reward or advantage for the winner, if not...simple bragging rights will do.

b. Konquest:
-This is the best way to tell a story, and it really lets you live the story, rather than just reading it. MK:D had a great Konquest mode that not only let you learn more about every MK character, but also let the story unfold right in front of your eyes. It also provided a great mode to gain practice and training, as well as a vessel for many unlockables and secrets to be found and earned.

c. Unlockables:
-It seems like Unlockables have been an after thought the past couple of games. While I know MKvsDC had a few, and MK:A had more, but it seems like they are missing the ball on the replay value it offers. Why give us 50 characters off the bat in MK:A, when you could have made us work for them and unlock them in one by one or in packs? My idea before the game came out was to have them unlocked in sets according to the game they debuted in, starting out with just MK1 characters, and beating it with them unlocks the MKII, so on and so forth. I love having things to work for and earning them always makes me want to play as them or check it out if it's an attire or item etc., but it's as if for the MK team that's not the case. I'd love to see more stuff to be unlocked and earned in the next game.

d. Kreate-A-Fighter:
-This is something that should remain in the game from here on out. It's ana wesome feature that if built upon and polished it could be even better. Add more depth to the customization such as in Wrestling games, and add in more items etc., and you have yourself something that expands your roster and pleases many fans of custom content as well as those who's favorite fighter doesn't make the cut. Though I would like for something like this to be earned through beating the game with each fighter, thus forcing players to still use the fighters in the actual game. Fatalities can either be created from an easy part by part creation system, or you could just go the simple route of having players choose from fatalities already in the game.

e. DLC:
-This is obviously what the MK team plans to do, as they already were going to release Quan Chi and Harley Quinn for MKvsDC before the Midway ordeal. So it doesn't seem to farfetched that we will see some characters and possible alternated released as DLC this time around. Hopefully they keep the price reasonable, about 5 dollars for 2 characters doesn't seem bad. It would be kinda cool for them to take a poll as they did for MKvsDC to see who is high in demand to be put into the game, otherwise I would hope they just put in extra characters that fit in with the story.

4. Characters:
a. Roster Size:
-I would stick with about 22 characters, it seems to be a decent number of people to have, and they all end up feeling more complete and diverse when there isn't so many packed into the game.

b. Alternate Attires:
-If there is only 1 alternate attire, make it really well done and have it make sense. If there is a second costume, have it be classic or have it go along with the timeline/story. Though, if there is 2 alternates, a joke costume isn't too upsetting since you have 2 others to be pleased with. One alternate should be unlocked by beating Arcade with that character, and if there is a second, have it be achieved through Kombo mode or some sort of other accomplishment witht he character such as 25 wins in Versus or Online mode etc.

c. Fatalities:
-I already discussed how I want the fatalities above, but to touch on them a little bit more...Each character should have 2, 1 classic and 1 fresh. If a third fatality be thrown into the mix, a Friendship would be a welcome option, or another classic would be pretty decent. A lot of the old favorites have some really awesome fatalities to choose from. Hara Kiris would be a welcomed addition as well, as I felt they added to the experience and were almost as fun as the fatalities to watch.

d. Weapons:
-These would be nice to have, but I wouldn't be disappointed if they don't include them. If they do however, I would like for the weapons to be drawn by button combination as in your typical special move, like how they did it in MK4.

5. Online
a. Individual Records:
-I would like a record system that also shows how many times you have won/loss against each person. This would be nice when facing friends for bragging rights, as well as against individuals online so you can tell if you seem to just not be as good as a certain person but never remember their gamertag.

b. Tournaments:
-I think tournaments firs MK perfectly, and it would be cool to just set up lobbies, public or private, and have tournaments of 4-16 people. You could also have it set up so that you can watch each match and everyone can talk and have fun with it, or you can just have everyone play their respective match at once and the losers can choose to watch or leave. It would also be nice to have more options for private matches such as time, rounds, fatality time, handicaps, level select etc...just stuff you normally could change in the regular options or cheats on the classic versions.

c. Team Battle
-It would be set up like Endurance mode, where it's 2 on 2, and when one person is beaten the other player comes in. You could have 2 humans vs 2 humans, or you could interchange them with regular A.I. So if you want to just have fun with a buddy, you and him could play against the computer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Well those are my desires for MK9 or even the next game. I think this would be my close to perfect MK game, but obviously I don't expect all this for MK9. Though, I would hope to see this stuff in the future.

I'd keep the Unreal Engine 3 and the wear-and-tear feature of MKvsDC and the rest i'd:
get rid side-stepping (old schools fans AND the rest of the fighting fanbase hates this in MK so... the majority is saying get rid of it, GET RID OF IT MK team!)
change the quick dash backward as 1+2 and just make it back,back.
get rid of all DC characters obviously
and get rid of the Rage (but I did like the unlimited breaker system)

so-so on:
I'd like Free-Fall Kombat, but make it complex, not a lucky button mashing competition.
Klose Kombat, same thing.

Fatalities: I want something totally disturbing than any other MK fatalities from the past. I mean, I want more fatalities like Kung Lao's Hat Slice and Buzzsaw. I want to see more female characters to be more sadistically disturbing like Rayne from Bloodrayne and Belladonna from Thrill Kill. I'd want Mileena to eat her victims from the groin and up to the face as she rips out her victim's organs and I'd want Jade to ultimately shove her Bo inside through her enemy's rectum. I want each character to have at least one nasty fatality that would involve such sexual humor. Even if it's just Kitana's Fan Decapitation. If she were to do that again, I'd want her to add some kind of low blow attack before in the fatality before actually slicing the victim's throat off. Tanya or another female character should also start using Tonfa Blades in a more disturbing way like what Bloodrayne does such as slicing a foe vertically in half. :laugh:

Weapons: This should return to only a few characters who really have weapons. They should be taken out by simple button combinations as special moves. Also, weapons should able to be picked up from an environment such as an iron pipe.

Environment: Weapons should be able to be picked up and wielded. Not only that but also, some weapons should be just thrown or kicked at an opponent such as a couch. Something like Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects.

Last edited:
I came up with a Kitana fatality a few years back that involved a fan in the crotch. Is that nasty enough?

I'm not a fan of nasty necessarily...I've developed a stronger stomach over the years but I'm still not a turned on by "disturbing" things. Actually, as you may have guessed, they disturb me. I want a fatality that I can cheer on. Like the guys in 40-year Old Virgin.

I'm not a fan of nasty necessarily...I've developed a stronger stomach over the years but I'm still not a turned on by "disturbing" things. Actually, as you may have guessed, they disturb me. I want a fatality that I can cheer on. Like the guys in 40-year Old Virgin.

I understand how you feel but I want all characters to have at least one fatality each that would be nasty as Kung Lao's Buzzsaw fatality and Johnny's Nut Punch fatality from MKSM so fans like me can be satisfied enough to play as our favorite characters. Yes, fatalities should be more like MKSM's with all the graphic detail and anatomy of body parts. I really want my favorite characters (Jade, Kitana, Mileena, Nitara, Sonya, Sindel, Tanya, Li Mei, and a few new females from the game) to have such nasty fatalities. The rest of the characters, I really don't care about.

Conquest definately; behind the scenes, secret character(s),change death traps till final round

I would focus more on realism until they had it right. I'd like to see the characters display a much more realistic physique and appearance. It's one thing to be a muscle bound brute and I'm not saying those don't exist, but Scorpion evolving to look more and more like a gold knight on steroids instead of a well built and sleek ninja is just annoying. Keep their designs simple and believable. MK has some REMARKABLE characters, you don't need to make them look super complicated. MK1 was awesome for this. Yes, it was 2-D, but the character designs were pretty sweet and their simplicity made the experience all the more believable, which made characters like Goro SO FRICKIN Shocking!

Fatalities... they should be as realistic as possible as well. Ripping off someone's head isn't exactly realistic, but it's way more believable than Jax growing to 100 feet just to stomp on them with a giant boot. Imagine ripping out someone's guts just to wrap them around their neck like a noose and sweeping their feet out from under them to strangle them to death. That's way cooler than melting people with a laser gun or blowing them up with bombs coming out of your chest. When I see a fatality, I want to think, "Man, that's not exactly believable, but with the right amount of training, someone could conceivably do that in real life..."

Fighting styles. The inclusion of weapons and multiple fighting styles was a HUGE mistake. Honestly, it makes me feel like MK is trying to compete with Soul Calibur and Tekken by simply overdoing the selection of fighting styles and weapons. Narrow it down to one fighting style. Take the weapons out entirely. But I have no qualms with them giving each fighter their own unique style, but damn, instead of skimping 3 styles into a mishmash of blocky game play, make each style comprehensive and unique. That IS what makes 3-D fighting games so damned awesome is because each character introduces a way of playing that fits a plethora of playing styles. Jax should be a grappler for example. Jui-Jitsu for one of the ninjas should make them predominantly reversal intensive. In fact, Scorpion would be down right scary as hell with Hapkido only while still being able to institute his teleporting punches and spear. One fighting style for one character a piece. If you're going to do a 3-D fighting game, then LEARN and observe what makes the heavy weights of 3-D fighters so damn awesome. It's not a huge conglomeration of gimmicks like free fall combat, close combat, and stage traps, but a perfect blend of comprehensive fighting styles that caters to different kinds of playing styles.

Honestly, because of the game mechanics of the other 3-D MK games, there was no need for different fighting styles because it didn't seem to change the way the player would approach the game. Hapkido didn't feel any different from Jeet Kun Do because the goal of the game was not different styles, but incorporating old mechanics from the previous MK games in a different way. An uppercut is an uppercut in MK, it doesn't matter how you animate it. I just felt like each of the styles were purely aesthetic and didn't do much for gameplay at all.

Have a collection of Earthrealm and Outworld stages. That might be interesting. If you fight in Mortal Kombat in the Earth Realm, each stage would reflect that while if you fight MK in Outworld, it would reflect that. This isn't that important to me though.

Kreate a Fighter is fine as long as when you finish designing the fighter, you can't tell the difference graphically from a created character from the original ones. Even Soul Calibur failed at this IMO.

Lower the fighter roster so that you can focus more on character development. A roster of 12 or 16 is easier to flesh out than a roster of 20 or 30.

Stage fatalities should come back unless you really want death traps. But if you manage to knock your oppenent into a deathtrap on round 1, guess what? There's no round 2. Death is death. I'd like to see the game treated as such.

Hardcore arcade mode: Going back to the death is death idea, if you're going to be able to continue in the game, it would be cool if your character selection was limited based on the previous fights where fatalities happened. If Sub Zero was killed by your hand on the first fight instead of knocked out, then when you lose and you go to select another character, you can't pick Sub Zero. Of course, this would only be if you want it to be more of a hardcore mode, while you could still play regular arcade mode.

Then again, I've been wanting to see this kind of thing happen in MK since MK4. o_0

deathcoreryknow, thats a cool idea for a kitana fatality! a fan to the crotch. i thought of more to it. what if after that she twists the fan and cuts them upward, then grabg them with one hand so they dont fall down and shoves the fan up in like the chin through the top of their head, then you kinda just watch them shake, then lets go of them and pulls back the fan pulling their face off and they fall over!! lots of blood!!! then she like whips the blood off her fan. now is that nasty enough??

i really think they need more violent fatalities. i also agree that once someone is dead they should stay dead. and no more of this crap where characters change allignment. if their good they should stay good and if their evil they should stay evil. i hope that the blood on the ground doesnt dissappear after like a few seconds. they need a few hidden characters like on mk2. not like where u just unlock them in a conquest mode. i agree get rid of death traps and bring back stage fatalities. i dont know what everyones problem with this is but bring back the run button. i dont mind if theres "some" rounded arenas but i want to see some that arent. they need a few bosses, not just one, hell mabey even a female sub boss. they need some new characters that dont seem like filler material for the game. make new rivalries , not the same people fighting it out every game. and yes of course dont make like a too big roster.

i got like this sick ass idea for if they were to bring back the dead pool stage. ok for starters there should be no roof but somehow still have the chains with hooks in the level. it should be at night so its dark and not so easy to see. there could be lightning flashing to add to the scary look. as for the deadpool fatality they need to work on that a bit to. when u do the fatality the character shouldnt just fall in the acid and pop out a second later like a skeleton. when they fall in it should show a struggle. like it should show them yelling and screaming and show their skin and flesh melting. hell, it should do a close up and show their eyes melting. finally they go under and when they pop up as a skeleton there should be some chunks of burnt flesh still on the skeleton. i think that would be some sick stuff. what do u think?