So what would you keep/change for MK9?

Personally i would like to see MK take a page out of Street Fighter IVs game and make it a 2D fighter. They can still make it look cool, and i think the game would play better if it werent a 3D fighter.

QFT.

Amen. The worst thing about the gameplay is the 3d elements. GO BACK TO 2D ED!!!! :mrgreen:

I agree Patrick.

Polish this gameplay more, which I think there doing.

Make the game dark and gritty with awesome lighting.

Dont make the arenas round, make them realistic.

I dont want deathtraps but stage fatalitys is a must.

We need gory but realistic fatalitys.

Id like to see Animalitys return but this time make them realistic and not glowing.

Story or Adventure mode should be like a polished Shaolin Monks gameplay...but if they leave adventure mode out to have time to work on polishing and completely the gameplay, thats ok too, we can get an adventure game next.

Id like to see a "Grid" type game too. They could call it "Grid Kombat" or "Unreal Kombat" and it would be an arena shooter game like "the grid", but featuring only MK characters. This would be easy to do using the unreal engine and would be alot of fun to play. Id rather get this shooter mini game rather than a mini adventure game.

This is a tough one...

Stage Fatalities, original Fatalities (especially Liu Kang's MK1 Arcade drop, only tweaked with other Mortal Kombat Arcade Stands), Friendships, Animalities, and Characters that DON'T stink.

However, I think there should be a Humilialitiy (humiliation) attack, in which the winner gets to embarrass the loser of the match with a technique derived from their person (examples are Shang Tsung's Morph into an embarrassing version of the opponent, Cyrax morphing into the Dancing Banana, and Jade sticking her pole right up...you get the idea).

Examples of the Morph Humiliality:

Kobra as Ken Masters;
Stryker with the "Kick Me" sign on his back;
Mavado with a burnt face (since he's a Kabal clone);
Kabal as Ozzy Osbourne (or with extreme plastic surgery ala Michael Jackson);
Johnny Cage limping (because of the Ball Buster move);
Noob Saibot as Classic Sub Zero with Scorpion's Spear within his chest;
Sub Zero as a Cyborg;
Himself as his MK1 form (What's wrong with the cranky old man?);
Shao Khan as Reiko;
Tanya as a Tarkatan Male (In reference to Jade's ending);
Kintaro as Tony the Tiger;
Havik as an Order Knight;
Hotaru as a Chaos Cleric...

If anyone has any more, well...I'm out of ideas.

I've read the comments in this thread. There are ideas that I like, and some, not so much.

What would I like to see for MK9?

A return to simplicity. I don't agree that the "bulkiness" of the characters in MKDA and MKD was a bad thing, because I think that what they were going for was a more realistic feel to the fight, and really, how many fighters do you know in real life who can constantly jump 10+ feet in the air with the greatest of ease? I'm also torn between making the arenas fully 3D (no invisible circular boundaries!), and applying the SFIV 2D approach to the next game, which could work. Maybe the two don't even have to be mutually exclusive. :hmmmm:

The darker, grittier feel we were promised with the release of "the next MK title after Armageddon". Well, it didn't take with MKvsDC. I mean, I was expecting Gears of War-type d&g when they announced the Unreal 3 engine would be used, but given the characters involved in the crossover, I suppose that wasn't entirely feasible. Here's hoping MK9 will correct that...

Deathtraps!... I've had problems with the way they've been implemented in the MK franchise. Example: The Deadpool. In MKII, it was a fatality. When they brought that same stage back in MKD, it was a mere deathtrap, and if you got knocked into one in a non-decisive round, the fight would continue, and if it was in a decisive round, it wasn't regarded as a fatality. That just came off to me as lazy, or bad design on the part of the MK crew. So this is the system I think they should use instead: depending on how many rounds the fight has (adjustable in gameplay settings), if there's only one round to the fight, enable deathtraps; if there's more than one round, make it so that deathtraps are available only after the first round, and when somebody gets knocked into one the fight should end RIGHT THEN AND THERE. None of this MKD/MKA crap where they pull themselves up off the spike they've just been impaled on and continue as if nothing happened. And, since I think deathtraps should end the fight, it should also be regarded as a Fatality.

I also believe the MK crew should bring back a *small* handful of past characters, and build a new generation of MK off of new characters. I tried to write my own story for this, continuing off of the events of Armageddon a long time ago, but I faltered when it came to actually creating new characters. Hopefully the Chicago crew doesn't have the same problem I did. :mrgreen:

Oh, and if Dan Forden hasn't been as involved with the music as he used to be, he should be again. He made some classic fight tunes.

That's all I could think of off the top of my head.

I can write a really long description in what I'd like to see, but for speed here is a small list.

Stay The Same:
- Story Mode Cinematic Blend into a fight. But less corny "taunts" before the fight but more physical action maybe someone coming up from behind you or gets in your face to provoke a fight, you shove back before the fight starts. More realism here, but it was a great start.
- Kombo System is good, just needs more balancing for online play. Move more towards MK3 style juggle/dial mix than it is today.

Remove:
- Removal of the 3D element. It's barely used effectively in MKvsDCU, so I say remove it all together and get a more 2D fighting game with a 3D environment.
- Rage Mode, doesn't fit to the story so should go.
- Test Your Might, I hate button mashing.

Change:
- Something other than the 3D "circle" for the fighting arena. If the 3D element is removed, I'd love to see what SFIV does plus a mix of more Y-axis 3D movement.
- More realistic looking clothing and costumes. MKvsDCU looks more "cartoony" still, I'd love to see the style and look of how everything in MK2 looked. Also see the MK movie and MK2 TV Commercial for other examples of this look. Make it look gritty similar to Gears of War 2 as well.
- Klose Kombat and Freefall Kombat should stay, but could take some tweaking, for sure make it work with reconfigured button layouts (arcade sticks) without having to revert to the default ABXY. Also have ability to disable these in online matches.
- Maybe re-add the Run button, it worked well in the MK3-MK4 series.
- Kombat Kodes need to be readded, and made more simple. Before a match, select what options you'd like to use. Like disable throws, klose kombat, blocks, etc.

If I come up with more, I'll add another post.

if its gonna be all 3-d, i hope they keep deadly alliance in mind. If its gonna be all 2-d i hope they keep in mind 2 and 3. and that falling shit is dumb.

More death traps, please. They are really awesome. I loved how many different options you had for combos in the 3D games; you could use the combos given in the commands, or improvise your own different methods. For instance, one of my favorites is popping someone in the air (in Armageddon) twice with Fujin, then whipping them into a tornado that brings them down, pops them back in the air and then performing a 3-4 hit combo while in the air.

Free fall is an excellent idea, but I think it was executed very poorly. It was very difficult to do anything with it, and so improving the controls would really polish the idea. I also hate the rage system with a passion.

I still really like the Fatality structure they had in Armageddon. The fatalities in MK vs. DCU were absolutely horrible, and I still really like the idea of the player dictating how he/she will finish off an opponent. There are/were many possibilities with that system, and I'd hate to see it shitcanned just because a few people got all butt hurt about it.

Still really enjoy everything about the 3D graphics. There is no need for Mortal Kombat to revert back to 2D; Mortal Kombat is NOT Street Fighter.

I'm with Pat McCarron on getting darker arena's for ring out fatalities...as well as bringing back some truly gory brutal fatalities that are better than Quan Chi's neck pull from DA...I was some hot ass violence!

oh yea...and real gory horrid gut wrenching death trips...i really liked the subway runover, the pit spikes, and wouldn't mind seeing something like head first impale or long head first fall

Well, that's pretty normal fare for deathtraps. In fact, I think I saw all of those in MKA. But I'm no fan of deathtraps. I prefer stage fatalities. Deathtraps feel like ring-outs from Soul Calibur, but the gameplay isn't designed to handle that kind of one-shot win and still be balanced. Keep arena transitions, that's classic, but change all the deathtraps to stage fatals, please.

I agree with that sentiment. I would always prefer to wait until the end of a match to knock my opponent into a death trap anyway, but considering the variables of having to maneuver the other fighter towards the red line, lining up your character just right, and finally connecting with an attack heavy enough to the deed, it's just too much of a pain in the ass. Bring back stage fatalities.

The few they implemented in MKD onward were really good too. The new belltower stage fatality was terrific with the mice dragging off their leg...I loved it. And you could only do it at the END of a match! Unfortunately with 3D arenas you could only have stage fatalities like the new belltower, that is to say punching through a flat surface. Because otherwise you'd run into exactly those same issues of alignment only this time with a time limit. I'm not sure how the awesome stage-edge deathtraps from MKD could work in that setting.

2.5D movement.
Fatalities that only last 3-5 seconds.
No deathtraps. Only Stage Fatalities.
Klose-Kombat and Free-Fall could stay with some few tweaks.
The new kombo system is fantastic. Definitely needs some balancing.

I'm not sure about you guys but I think that when executing a fatality, the camera angle shouldn't change. Something like Jokers groin crusher but replace that with a fatality. I believe it could give you the back-in-the-old-days arcade feel.

I enjoyed the gameplay of MKvDC and the style, however there are definately things that need to be tweaked.

-Keep-
Free-Falling Kombat
No Weapons
The simplicity of special moves
The gameplay - (It's not really 3D which is kool, because this isn't Tekken. Yet not 2D because this isn't Street Fighter) So to keep the same gameplay is aight in my book.
The story mode - I don't wanna play an adventure game. The story mode in MKvDC was cool because you got to play as everyone in one cohesive story. I don't wanna run around looking through chests and talking to people.
Keep it simple and don't add dumb ass kart games, chess games, or anything else that has nothing to do with fighting.

-Change-
Fatalities (Scorpion has had the fire breathing fatality for well over a decade), I understand nostalgia but what about evolution
Free-Falling Kombat (People love to wait to press buttons)

-Add-
More Characters
Bloodier Fatalies
Background fatalies (a la Pit, deadpool) but where you can only activate it in the deciding round when it says finish him. However, only do like three, make it special. Also, everyone has a background fatality code not just a glowing red band in the area.
Shang Tsungs morphing ability (10 seconds each morph), yet have the moves he pulls off in those morphs to be weaker than if the actual character was pulling them off. That way it gives the player an incentive to always choose Shang.

I personally prefer the adventure/RPG style Konquest from MKD, but that's me. I wish they'd bring it back, but I know that would take a lot of time they don't have. As for Scorpion's breath fatality...I simply never get tired of seeing it no matter how long it's been around. It's one of my favorites and it will stay that way.

But I can see him not having it. I just think the skull beneath the mask is one of his best features. It was so surprising back in the day when we were first learning fatalities in MK1...we were all amazed and freaked when he pulled off his FACE for the first time. That feeling never goes away for me. And really, I don't need the flame breath fatality so much as I need the skull to be there in some fashion. For instance, it was his alternate costume in MK4 and MKDA. It's also been used in Specials Moves in MK4 and MKA (I think).

Any of those options could work. But it's interesting you said "evolution" since you can simply apply that to the breath fatality itself. Think of this: He breaths flame onto his spear, super-heating it, then starts whipping it around like the spear kata from MKSM burning flesh and clothing with every swipe. It's not the same by any means but it utilizes the flame breath in an unorthodox manner.

what i would change? that lame ass story mode in mk vs dcu ,the story mode should be like he one in MORTAL KOMBAT DECEPTION , that was the most epic story mode ever made , and yh i would prefer by far a roaming story mode like MKD and MKSM

I too preferred the lengthy story in MKD's konquest. But the MKvDC story done so much better. The acting, the plot...just didn't have anywhere near as much depth or length. But MKvDC was a last grab at some cash before Midway inevitably went under. Unfortunate.

Bring back the guy who'd pop up from the corner of the screen and say something like "Whoopsie!" every time someone was uppercut in the air. I don't know his name but I'm pretty sure he was in the first three games. He's gotta come back! :grin: