Opinion on Endings

Angel

Can't play but can see the endings. My opinion - stop cribbing about the still frame endings. They've been a tradition for a while, 3D endings take longer to do even though they look better. They also limit the chace of a artist doing some good work.

But the one thing I am bored with is seeing the final boss blow up.

Okay MK team, that;s been around since MK2, nows the time to end that overused routine and come up with something new please?

I completely agree (again, I don't have the game, but I've seen videos of these things). I'm perfectly content with the traditional MK endings; especially comparing them to what we got in Armageddon. I'd say that, all things considered, fully animated endings are a bit overrated. They could be great if done correctly, but judging by the endings in MK4 as well as more recent in-game cut scenes, we're better off with a well-written synopsis that forces you to use your imagination than an extremely cheesily animated and acted cinematic for every character in the game. Seriously, has anyone revisited the MK4/Gold endings lately? Yikes.

And yeah, the 'boss got 'sploded' thing is a little worn out. I'm not sure what else they could do, but even a throwback to MK3 would make for a nice change of pace.

I agree somewhat.

It has been a tradition to have these type of endings, but would it have killed them to make them like deception where there was at least more than one picture. And IMO the endings (story wise) are very weak. Kahns is the only one I have seen so far that is decent and somewhat creative.

On the other hand, we have the unreal technology and we've seen its capabilities from story mode. This just shows the potential they had to make sick cinematic endings.

I think again they just put all of their effort into the presentation of the game and simply did not have enough time to focus on things like additional content, lack of creative endings, and the awful impossible Kombo Challenge.

Both are throwbacks to the early games, which is fine with me.

Too much work spend on cinematic endings could have made gameplay suffer, so I'm glad they know were their priorities had to be.

I dont play games for endings, I play them cause the gameplay makes me keep coming back.

I give it the SC comparison.

SC2's text endings were rubbish, we got a single image related in no way (for most of the fighters) to the text. SC3s endings on the other hand were great, in my opinion brillant and even without the push-button bits are fine. However when we get to SC4... Too short and too generic.

I've only seen Kitana's ending (because she is AWESOME in this game) and I wasn't pleased nor displeased.
I find it ironic though that characters I didn't like in previous MKs such as Kitana, Raiden and Shang Tsung are actually really good in this game.

regardless of pictures or video the endings are LAME, it's not a mater of graphics it's a mater of having an ending that says "bobby won, and now bobby is a winner! GO BOBBY!"

there's no story to the endings, and it's ONE picture now? what happened to at least two? they're a sad excuse for a classic concept. it should just say "You win!" and leave it at that if they're not even going to try

Not much to them really. DC characters become MK-like and MK characters become DC-like.

I though for sure beating Dark Kahn would result in some sort of sequence where you would see Shao and Darkseid splitting apart but instead we got a cheesy "inflate and explode" routine.

Also Raiden's ending is just infuriating. It's just completely against both the character and the story of pretty much every MK game ever. It's the first time I can recall being actively pissed off at a character's ending.

I can recall being actively pissed off at A LOT of the endings in MKA. But I suppose that's anomalous as MKA endings were horrible. Thus far, I'm not greatly disliking the endings, they're ok, but I would prefer one more picture. As for the explosion, I too find it getting rather old.

Raiden ended up with a Reverse Superman. I tried to fit Superman's ending with the MK side, but the only one I could think of was Jax getting cyber implants. Jax's ending however only bare a simulairity with Cyborg of DC, so I PRESUME we were meant to have cyborg in the game to go against Deathstroke (seriously, Dearthstroke is out of place in consideration), instead of Robin/Nightwing who a lot of people were guessing.

Like someone else said, even Mortal Kombat 1 has TWO pictures on the endings. The endings just seem weird, like it's unfinished. Almost like there should be at least one more sentence.

The reason people get upset about things like that though is because it ruins return play. If you beat the game with someone, after all that work and get a lame ending, you probably won't want to beat it with anyone else.

Just a little bit more is what I would have liked.

Considering Raiden's ending in MK was just "he won, invited other Gods, destroyed the world, have a nice day" the MK Vs. DC ending is more in-depth and it certainly feels like they wanted at some point to do a MK Vs. DC 2. I'm not bothered by endings, beating the game is enough for me but then again I've played beat 'em ups for a while now and I've seen a LOT of endings by now for a LOT of characters. Endings for Beat 'em ups lost their charm about ten years ago for me so they can say what they want and it will be cool with me.

Okay guys, here's my only beef with the text endings...Considering this is Mortal Kombat vs. DC UNIVERSE, I was REALLY expecting to see a comic-book formatted ending. You know? Individual panels, yellow screens showing "Later" and so on and so forth. That's what I wanted to see in this game. As for text endings in the other MK games. I kind of liked it, the art was cool.

Okay guys, here's my only beef with the text endings...Considering this is Mortal Kombat vs. DC UNIVERSE, I was REALLY expecting to see a comic-book formatted ending. You know? Individual panels, yellow screens showing "Later" and so on and so forth. That's what I wanted to see in this game. As for text endings in the other MK games. I kind of liked it, the art was cool.

Yeah, that idea never crossed my mind. Great idea...:)

Thing with DC though is outside the comics they don't like their stuff to be seen as a comic. We wouldn't have seen the comic-book scene endings... DC has been trying to be upmarket for the last few decades (hence the movies). Same with Marvel, difference is Marvel plays a different ball game to DC when it comes to how it handels itself (and may have just considered that style of ending).