The Good, The Bad, and Everything Else...

jeary

I know you all missed me. I left right when Dark Kahn screens were posted because I did not want to be spoiled at all. I hoped and sortof expected something crazy to be added or revealed in the past month and I would be in shock when I actually played the game. Besides what Dark Kahn looks like, it appears I have missed nothing.

Here is a list of the good, the bad, and everything in between from my opinion.

The Good:

1. Story mode videos - simply amazing. Graphics looked great from sub-zero's breathing to the veins popping out of muscles.

2. Graphics - Every character looks great before during and after fight mode.

3. Transitions - I was very glad to see them transition right into the fight rather than a loading screen in between.

4. Uniform Damage Retention - Huge plus to see these guys take damage for once.

5. Sonya Glitch - When I defeated Sonya with The Joker, half of her top turned into her skin color. I thought I saw nipple for a second.

Good/Bad/Had Potential:

1. Klose Kombat - I liked it alot, but seems that it is done very rarely.

2. Falling Kombat - loved this, except for the fact that I would get 4 hits in, then it would be reversed and my opponent gets credit for 25-30% damage. It is like my 4 hits in the beginning never took place.

3. Dark Kahn - While, he was decent, I still feel cheated a bit; like they could have done so much more with the potential of Darkseid/Shao Kahn combining.

4. Fatalities - Classic MK ones were good since they had to keep it T, but the Brutality crap was just repetitive and boring.

The Bad:

1. Endings - While some of the stories are cool, the one picture with a brief description is pretty weak. With the awesomeness of the story mode videos, they have these as endings? Seriously?

2. Kombo Challenge - Whos idea was this? These are beyond hard and while they can be accomplished with practice, the average fan will give up after a few tries. What the hell is with the brief pause crap? Huge fail here Midway.

3. Story Mode - While the story was decent, you only get to play as 7/11 of the characters from each side.

4. No Unlockables - No concept art? No video bios? All we get is Kahn and Darkseid, which I'm happy about, but still they could have given us a reason besides trophies to keep playing.

5. No mini-game or anything similar - Chess/Puzzle Kombat/Conquest/Kart - These were all small and very unnecessary additions (besides conquest) that extended the play of the game by hours for most people.

6. Joker Fatality - I go away for a month thinking they pushed the T rating with the sick Joker fatality that was released earlier to find out it sucks now.

7. Quan Chi - Why was he not in the game? Besides the little Green lantern martian people and Deathstrokes random victim, he was the only character we saw that was unplayable. Kano was virtually useless. Quan Chi should have replaced Kano. Hell he had more video time than Kano anyways.

Overall, even though my grade counts from shit, I would give it a C+ or a 7/10. Seems like yet again they rushed this game onto shelves and used the marketability of Batman/Scorpion/Joker/Superman/Etc... to sell copies. So much potential with so much left on the table....

It is about 24 hours since I picked up the game and I already beat the story modes, went through arcade a few times, and I feel like I am basically done with the game. Online and the possibility of going after every trophy is the only thing that might possibly call me back to the game.

The Kombo Challenge is more frustration that it is worth, so unless it is to get amazing with one fighter, I probably wont attempt these.

From what I have read online seems like it failed.

There is no reason to go through the story mode twice unless I feel the urge to watch the videos again, which I would frankly rather watch without fighting in between.

Thanks to the short story mode in which you fail to play all the characters, I have no clue what it is like to play as Baraka/Deathstroke/Kitana/Catwoman/Kano/Kahn/Darkseid and whoever else was unplayable in story mode. So unless I go through arcade or online with these guys, I probably wont ever play as them. The average fan who bought this game will not go through arcade with every fighter, so they most likely will never play as those characters either.

Here is to hoping they get the next MK game correct..........

Last edited:
I agree with most of that. I also think the gameplay is lackluster. But man, it's still a good game. I'm enjoying it. And while I probably won't play it too much, I'm an MK fan and I'm not sorry I bought it. The story mode was the best thing about the game.

"KAAAAHHHHHNNNNN!!!!!" (I lol'd so hard)

I'm GLAD there is no mini-games afterall; I spent more time on that racing game in MK:Arm then fighting.

When mini-games are mor enjoyable then the actaul GAME something is wrong. ^_-

I could pretty much tell this game was going to not be worth my cash, that's why the MK franchise hasn't seen my money since MK Deception. Maybe I've just grown out of the basic choose a player and fight type of games but when that's all MK can dish out, I'm disappointed.

I'll look forward to a future MK RPG till then I may stick with other titles.

Anyone watch the Bonus DVD. Its incredible!

But it also shows that they spent way too much time and effort on the presentation of the game (which they nailed perfectly) but had to sacrifice content and overall gameplay.

If only they waited another 6 months to spend on adding to this.

WTF? The gameplay is a hundred times better than any MK since UMK3. Yes its harder, but that doesnt equal bad.

The content thing is fine by me. The KE had plenty of extra content on the bonus disc, and like Angel said, the mini games were better than the actual fighting game.

I do agree they shoud have tested this game for a couple more months, but this is a HUGE step in the right direction after the worst 2 games in the franchise, Deception & Armageddon.

Okay then maybe your right on that note. If you take away the Adventure Games... Even MK4 wasn't thatbad I suppose.

WTF? The gameplay is a hundred times better than any MK since UMK3. Yes its harder, but that doesnt equal bad.

The content thing is fine by me. The KE had plenty of extra content on the bonus disc, and like Angel said, the mini games were better than the actual fighting game.

I do agree they shoud have tested this game for a couple more months, but this is a HUGE step in the right direction after the worst 2 games in the franchise, Deception & Armageddon.

I think you're right here. This is a huge step in the right direction. Now we can assume they have basics down for the next generation consoles and for the next game they can focus on gameplay and extras rather than presentation.

And the fact that Deception was one of the worst games is very very arguable.

So how is the feel of this game. Is it very similar to the past few (DA, deception, armageddon) as far as the gameplay, or does it go back and pick up some of the old style 2d type play from the originals, or just a completely new fighting engine all together?

Seems like since V they've tried to hard to make it into a horrible Tekken with weapons. (I love Tekken btw, so no offense toward it :) ) Since V the gameplay to me has just not been there. I guess I'm just old school, but I even thought MK 4 was like a zillion times better than anything released since it, and at the time of it's releasedI thought it by far to be the worst MK. I guess what I'm getting at is this. If I completely hated MKV and everything since, would anyone in their honest opinion think I would enjoy MK v DC?

So how is the feel of this game. Is it very similar to the past few (DA, deception, armageddon) as far as the gameplay, or does it go back and pick up some of the old style 2d type play from the originals, or just a completely new fighting engine all together?

Seems like since V they've tried to hard to make it into a horrible Tekken with weapons. (I love Tekken btw, so no offense toward it :) ) Since V the gameplay to me has just not been there. I guess I'm just old school, but I even thought MK 4 was like a zillion times better than anything released since it, and at the time of it's releasedI thought it by far to be the worst MK. I guess what I'm getting at is this. If I completely hated MKV and everything since, would anyone in their honest opinion think I would enjoy MK v DC?

From the sounds of what you are into, you should love the game.

The 2D aspect is there, but there is an option for sidestepping as well, which takes away from the 2D.

It is a similar look to DA, Deception, but Armageddon (with the obvious next generation console upgrades); but there is more focus on super moves and creating your own combos while fighting rather than having them at hand already like the 3 games mentioned had.

The game has the next generation look with a very 2D fighting feeling if that makes sense, but then throws in the extra stuff like falling kombat and klose kombat which you may love or hate.

Overall the fighting is decent in the game, but besides a short but good story mode, there isnt much else to it. But there was far less content in the old games like MK1-MK3 and those were all amazing, so I probably have just been spoiled with all of the extras from Deception and Armageddon and feel like this game is lacking when in reality it is still a pretty solid game.

Exactly man. I am totally, 100% on that thought and point of view.

But trust me when I say this...this is the best MK since MK4, maybe UMK3. Its pretty tough, but dont let that scare you. Its tough in a good way.

A must buy for old school MK fans, even though the 3d element IS there. Its bascially 2.5d. With no weapons ;)

Except for Baraka and Deathstroke. Personally, I don't think this game is that much to write home about. It's for the fans, and while it's a step in the right direction, for any non-fan I'd say just rent it. After all, we're pretty much agreed that it's short. Definitely short enough to beat in 5 days.

Except for Baraka and Deathstroke. Personally, I don't think this game is that much to write home about. It's for the fans, and while it's a step in the right direction, for any non-fan I'd say just rent it. After all, we're pretty much agreed that it's short. Definitely short enough to beat in 5 days.

I think the KC will take me years, lol

:mrgreen:

They should give the person able to pull them off a million $$$s as a prize from what I keep reading about them.

Are they really THAT hard? o_O