Any advice on how to perform fatalities in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3?

Indigo

It seems as though no matter how fast I input the button combinations, the charcter just jumps/kicks/etc. rather than perfroming the actual fatality. I'm sure the distance is correct; do I have to hold block or something (I have the MK Armageddon version of UMK 3, BTW)?

Which fatalities are you trying to perform? If you have to press up at some point in the combination, then you do need to hold block, but otherwise, no, it's not a prerequisite. It depends where you're getting your fatality list from, but more often than not, they'll tell you when you need to hold block.

It's a bit difficult to offer you help when we don't know exactly what you're doing, but if your character is jumping instead of doing the fatality, and you're not required to press up, then you're obviously hitting a diagonal by accident (like forward+up instead of just forward). If you are required to press up, then you need to hold block, like I said, but also keep in mind that you have to let go of it before you hit the action button (high punch, low punch, etc.).

Another tip I can offer is that when you hit the action button is very crucial. There should be a slight delay between the last direction you tap and the action button. Let me offer an example of both of these in the same fatality...

Ermac's Telekinetic Slam (down, up, down, down, down, block): From about sweep distance, hold block, then tap down, up, down, down, down, making sure to release block some time after you press up, but before the action button is hit, which is block in this case (which may be confusing, but in this example it will help to make sure you release block initially). After you tap down for the last time, hit block again (don't hold it). Remember, there's a delay here, and my guess is, if you can't pull off this particular fatality, it's because you're either not allowing enough of a delay (like you're hitting down and block simultaneously) or you're allowing too much of a delay.

I think the easiest fatality to perform in UMK3 is unmasked Sub-Zero's lift and shatter one. Block Block Run Block Run. Just mess with the timing on that one (it's pretty fast, UMK3 is the hardest game to do fatalities for I think) and try to emulate that button timing for all other fatalities. Obviously it gets more complicated when you have to hold or release block at some point.

Umk3 gives you so little time...sucks. In MK1 and 2 they give you a number of seconds, at least enough time to input the sequence twice should you mess up the first time.

Yeah, the older MK's MK1-MK4 give you near to no time at all other then a few seconds. That's the challenge of it afterall, but yeah most are easy in UMK3 once you get used to them. I suggest practicing against the CP first(assuming you play online) and want to show off your fatality skills there.

I disagree. Only MK3 gives you no time. 3 seconds I think. MK1 and 2 give like 5 seconds which is, as I said, enough time to try again if you mess up.

I disagree. Only MK3 gives you no time. 3 seconds I think. MK1 and 2 give like 5 seconds which is, as I said, enough time to try again if you mess up.

It's virtually the same, but there might be a slight differences say MK1 vs. MK3 or UMK3 or MK4....still anyone will tell ya the older MK's are much harder to perform fatalities given the amount of time compared to the past 3 MK's which give you a LOT of time in comparison. I have no issues with the time, with me it's usually the imputs of the particular fatality.

Like in MK4, once of Fujin's fatalities is tough as hell. I believe it's the one where he uses wind to rip off your skin til you die

You may have time to try again IF, and I stress this, IF you set up the opponent correctly with your final blow to be at the right distance. If you have to move from close to far for say, Sektor's flamethrower fatality, then you're gonna have time for one attempt period. MKII gives you more time than MK3, that's indisputable fact. Time it yourself.

It's not that big of a difference, I can get off the fatalities just the same in MK3 or UMK3 dude ^...it's virtually the same, not a "drastic" difference is what I'm saying....

Yeah, that one is hard as balls to get off, lol. D-F-F-U-BL (outside sweep) = hard fat :(

Yeah...tough as marbles indeed man lol. One of the few in MK4 that annoy the hell out of me lol

The difference between 3 and 5 seconds isn't that big? I JUST timed it myself. MK2, 5 seconds, MK3, 3 seconds. That's 66% more time to get in the zone, line up your distances correctly, and maybe have time for a second attempt if the first goes wrong. I don't care how good you are at fatalities, I rarely miss myself, but I don't feel rushed in MK2 and that's very important to me. From a PURELY technical standpoint MK2 gives you a VERY noticably longer period to do fatalities. Indisputable, pure, fact.

You guys do realize how ridiculous an argument this is, right?

I personally never noticed there was much of a difference, but let's just let it go now.

The difference between 3 and 5 seconds isn't that big? I JUST timed it myself. MK2, 5 seconds, MK3, 3 seconds. That's 66% more time to get in the zone, line up your distances correctly, and maybe have time for a second attempt if the first goes wrong. I don't care how good you are at fatalities, I rarely miss myself, but I don't feel rushed in MK2 and that's very important to me. From a PURELY technical standpoint MK2 gives you a VERY noticably longer period to do fatalities. Indisputable, pure, fact.

Yeah dude, really it's not that BIG of a difference and no need to go on and on about it....damn dude lol. The fact of the matter is nobody can deny that the older games have LESS fatality time in general, nuff said.:ciao:

I was also seeking some advice on UMK3. I have the version for PS2 that came with MK:Armaggedeon Premium, and for the life of me I can't seem to get Scorpion's Animality to work. I do it after the Mercy, I hold block, then F, U, U, HK, release block. Seems every moves list I look at the sequence is F, U, U, HK, except one which listed it as U, F, U, U, HK, and I couldn't get that to work either. I am standing within sweep distance, and judging from video where I have seemed it performed, this seems to be where I should be. Can someone tell me what I my be doing wrong? I have gotten other animalities to work, just not Scorpion's. Also, if this is not the place for this question, I apologize. This is my first time on any forum whatsoever, so if my etiquette is off and this should be a new thread please let me know.

it's cool no problem, but the only real advice i can suggest is that as soon as you press the final up button you let the block go and press HK . and sweep distance is normally about two characters away from each other so you know where to be. if that is hard just sweep kick during battle to determine the correct spot to be when trying to execute the fatality.

I have been trying to pull off ermac's slam fatality for about three days now i always fail. I know its (D U D D D BL) and if i do it too fast nothing happens if i do it slower my opponent just falls. I think I'm in the sweep zone i have done it enough to be in it at least once. I even hold BK for the D U then let go and then D D D BK and nothing happens or the opponent has fallen by then.
Some one please help this is driving me mad! >:D

thanks nora