Quan Chi is underrated

ThePunisher_02

He is probably one of the coolest villians MK has, he's just as sinister as Shang Tsung and twice as cunning. He's probably more powerful than him too, plus I love that "green skull" move he does.

He has an interesting storyline with Scorpion. His fatalities are usually lame though (except that leg beat fatality on MK 4)

I liked Quan Chi before MKDA. They changed his look and personality. They made him taller and more slender and his outfit was just terrible. I always used his alternate. I personally prefer Shang Tsung every time. Quan Chi may be a little more powerful but there's no way he's more skillful or more cunning. Shang Tsung steals SOUL for god's sake.

I think I made a thread comparing Shang to Quan Chi...you should look it up.

I agree, he is definitely one of my top 5 favorite MK characters of all time. I wish his role would have been switched with Shang Tsung in MK history.

Quan Chi isn't as cunning? He was the one that tricked Shinnok into believing he had the real amulet. He was also the one who came up with the whole Deadly Alliance thing with Shang Tsung so Shang Tsung could get more of his souls. If Shang Tsung was so clever he wouldn't have trusted Quan Chi so easily.

Theyre both pretty evil. I see Quan Chi as being more intelligent and Shang Tsung being the villian who never comes out on top. Kindof like Shredder in the old turtle cartoons.

You should rename this thread Shang Tsung vs. Quan Chi and see where it goes.

I'll choose Shang Tsung every time. MKM Quan Chi is badass and he did trick Quan Chi into believing he gave him the amulet...but he didn't trick Quan Chi into the alliance. The alliance was real but each of them being betrayers they both planned to betray the alliance. Quan Chi has lived behind the scenes for a long time and he doesn't really "Never come out on top" as he was the ruler of the MK tournament for centuries. Shang Tsung has only really ever lost that once to Liu Kang in the beginning. Since then he's just bided his time until he can sieze power and he did manage to successfully ambush Shao Kahn even if it was just a clone. He also managed to kill Liu Kang with minimal help from Quan Chi.

I still hate that Quan Chi "beat" him in the beginning of Deception since it was technically him that defeated Raiden there. He's the victim of bad circumstances not a lack of skill. The man steals SOULS for god's sake!

I don't really like Quan Chi. Not a huge Shang fan either but to me he is definitely more cunning and possibly more powerful.

Quan Chi is one of the best in my opinion. Did anyone else find that in MK4 the CPU had no answer at all to the teleport stomp? Leg rip was one of the best fatal's ever. His presentation in major storylines and the ill-fated MK-Conquest were good too. Who says you can't have a random from after MK2-3 in? He was involved in MKM after all.

There are a few shining stars from post-MKM but that's the point from which all the crappy characters started showing up. Quan Chi, Fujin, and Shinnok all came before the crapfest. I just like Shang Tsung more is all.

IMO, i like Quan better, but I bet they're about dead even if we asked all MK fans, maybe a small towards Shang.

There was only room for one sorcerer in this game and Shang has more experience.

Quan is definitely cooler IMO then Shang, but I also feel that he's not the only one. Smoke and Ermac are easily more popular and underrated as oppose to Reptile, Cage in this point in time....hopefully if there's an MK vs. DC 2 we'll see Quan, Ermac, Smoke next time around.

Quan is definitely cooler IMO then Shang, but I also feel that he's not the only one. Smoke and Ermac are easily more popular and underrated as oppose to Reptile, Cage in this point in time....hopefully if there's an MK vs. DC 2 we'll see Quan, Ermac, Smoke next time around.

Smoke is somewhat popular, yes. But Ermac is not that popular at all besides the occasional fan on each forum who obsesses over him. Hes one of those characters that you dont like nor hate. IMO hes beyond boring. His moves suck. He story and background are weak

Theres a ton more characters that i would say are arguably more popular than Ermac:

Kung Lao
Reptile
Baraka
Sektor
Cyrax
Quan Chi
Noob
Smoke

Smoke is somewhat popular, yes. But Ermac is not that popular at all besides the occasional fan on each forum who obsesses over him. Hes one of those characters that you dont like nor hate. IMO hes beyond boring. His moves suck. He story and background are weak

Theres a ton more characters that i would say are arguably more popular than Ermac:

Kung Lao
Reptile
Baraka
Sektor
Cyrax
Quan Chi
Noob
Smoke

Actually, Ermac is very popular and much more popular now then most of that list. There's three other sites where I've made/seen polls asking about the ninjas and Ermac winded up being second highest fan fav second to Sub then Scorp. Those were the top three.

MKD Ermac on has had a lot of attention and arguably the best revamp story wise and costume wise out of the past few games. Easily out of the ninjas I'll tell ya that much.

Sektor, Cyrax, Noob, Reptile and Quan are not more popular then Ermac. The robot ninjas aren't nearly as popular as Ermac and the regular ninjas.

Sektor-just got really interesting of late but isn't nearly as popular as Smoke or Cyrax overall.

Smoke-was more popular oldschool MK but of late is always someones "pawn" being reprogrammed and never doing anything for himself or deciding for himself...

Kung Lao-just another Liu Kang with a Hat

Reptile-lost lots of popularity over the years, he's always doing the same thing being Kahn's *****, trying to free his realm...and failing constantly.

Baraka-again just another tool of Kahn and the bad guys, but somewhat cool I'll admit

Noob-similar to Ermac with MKD/MKAstory he was never really that popular because of his story, then once it was revealed that he was the original sub-zero(glowing blue eyes) he became more popular.

Quan-Chi-at first was cool but not as cool as he used to be, he's been harrassing and pissing off Scorpion since MK4(even before that if you want to get technical) and pretty much betrays everyone he comes in contact with. He's cooler then Shang I'll give him but power wise he's just another sorcerer.

Ermac-was always popular and cool from a "powers point of view" but lacked in story, was yet another pawn of Kahn however it wasn't his choice unlike some of his counterparts, Rain, Reptile, Baraka etc then once Kenshi freed him in MKD he chose to redeem himself and being good. He also had the best revamp in storyline and costume by most MK fans when he was announced, I remember out of the ninjas Ermac and Rain were talked about the most with the recent MK games alot more then any other ninja by far.

Last edited:
I think you're pretty far off-base MKF. Any poll that ranks Scorpion lower in popularity than Ermac has something very clearly wrong with it. And Ermac/Rain were so hotly talked about from MKD onward because they were being revamped and revisited for the first time since MK3. The increased conversation was not necessarily indicative of their popularity but rather how "in the now" they were. Noob had been spied in MK4 and MKTE so he wasn't the talk of the town anymore.

On a personal note, I like most of those characters listed above more than Ermac. The cyborg ninjas far outclass Ermac IMO. The idea that you can have any scope on the widespread popularity of any MK character just from perusing a few fansites is laughable.

When it comes down to it, those descriptions you've listed are simply how you see the characters and frankly, they're pretty base-less reasons to put them below Ermac. Several of them have the nostalgia factor going for them, like Baraka and Reptile. Kung Lao is NOT just Liu Kang with a hat. I'll give you that the cyborgs are not nearly as popular is Scorpion, Sub-Zero, or Reptile but even judging from the people I know and perusing the same forums as you I glean that they are more popular than Ermac. But as I've already said, that's not a good point of reference.

I'm currently a statistics major taking classes every day talking about this sort of thing and really, you can't say with even 20% confidence (and that's pitifully low) that any of those characters are any more popular than any others.

I think you're pretty far off-base MKF. Any poll that ranks Scorpion lower in popularity than Ermac has something very clearly wrong with it. And Ermac/Rain were so hotly talked about from MKD onward because they were being revamped and revisited for the first time since MK3. The increased conversation was not necessarily indicative of their popularity but rather how "in the now" they were. Noob had been spied in MK4 and MKTE so he wasn't the talk of the town anymore.

On a personal note, I like most of those characters listed above more than Ermac. The cyborg ninjas far outclass Ermac IMO. The idea that you can have any scope on the widespread popularity of any MK character just from perusing a few fansites is laughable.

When it comes down to it, those descriptions you've listed are simply how you see the characters and frankly, they're pretty base-less reasons to put them below Ermac. Several of them have the nostalgia factor going for them, like Baraka and Reptile. Kung Lao is NOT just Liu Kang with a hat. I'll give you that the cyborgs are not nearly as popular is Scorpion, Sub-Zero, or Reptile but even judging from the people I know and perusing the same forums as you I glean that they are more popular than Ermac. But as I've already said, that's not a good point of reference.

I'm currently a statistics major taking classes every day talking about this sort of thing and really, you can't say with even 20% confidence (and that's pitifully low) that any of those characters are any more popular than any others.

I don't think so, and you have to realize those polls one of them from MKO within the past year that has TONS of nutty MK fans, Scorpion is cool I like him but a lot of his fans turned on him you have to realize...the other sites where from a year+ ago where Ermac few years after MKD came out he was third(MKO he was second but it was close with him and Scorp) Point is Sub, Scorp and Ermac raped everyone else in terms of popularity on those sites I'm referring to. Scorpion has lost some popularity over the years, not "a tremendous amount" but a little bit, Reptile a lot lol. Let's face it, popularity in most cases of MK characters are based off storyline and powers...Reptile is always doing the same thing, Smoke is always being reprogrammed by someone(even though I like him honestly way more then Reptile, Noob and Rain) Noob wasn't interesting til MKD.....Rain is the same coward and tool for Kahn and Baraka the same. And I doubt you check out the same forums I speak of, MKO is only one I haven't told you the others one was Kami way back.....but I don't go there anymore.

He's more or less been doing the same thing, always hunting someone in story or acting out of rage etc. He's a cool character but his story leaves a bit to be desired....tad bit over time.

Sub is always the #1 fan fav when it comes to ALL the ninjas, that's a nobrainer and some will even argue Scorp but like I said Ermac compared to everyone one else(in terms of ninjas) reigns superior easier. His story is cooler, better and his powers are just beyond badass since UMK3. TK is always an awesome power. Kung Lao more or less is just like Liu Kang, he's his "friendly rival" yeah...but they're two characters not very different from one another, thus their little "friendly rivalry" look at MK:SM, with the exception of special moves.

You have to realize people will only like Reptile, Baraka and kung because "they're oldschool" characters but Ermac isn't exactly a new character, he first came to be in UMK3 and has always been that rumor since MK1....which I'm guessing you're not aware of?

From a gameplay point of view Ermac has always been popular, that's without question...in UMK3 he's one of the best characters, period. Same in MKD and MKA. I should know since I use him well in all those games hehe.

I'd find it really hard to believe if Most MK fans were disappointed if Smoke and Ermac made the cut in MK vs. DC as oppose to Jax and Kano....again, both of those guys are only in there due to their age and being in the first two MK's otherwise, nobody really "loves" Jax and Kano as much anymore....you're telling me you'd rather have Kano and Jax over Ermac and Smoke? Especially when it comes to "powers" against DC's best? Come on now...

MKguy. I think youre going way over board and using your oqn opinions rather than facts or even arguable facts for that matter to make your point.

Ermac is not popular.He is average at best. Using MK forums and their opinions as rational behind your reasoning is not showing much validity.

Take the average MK fan who does not visit forums; he most likely has never heard of Ermac. But he knows who Jax (the black guy) is or who Kano (the guy with the eye) are. If i were to ask any of my friends who do not play the MK games regularly, they would name off all characters from MKI and MKII. What characters has Boon and company decided to put in this game?

What are you talking about fans turned on Scorpion. Like they were friends or something and Scorpion deceived them. This isnt the NBA, Scorpion didnt just rape a chick and lose the fans respect because of it.

And you cant use polls on random sites to justify your opinion. Most likely 98% of MK fans did not participate in those polls, let alone visit these sites.

Popularity is not based off of storylines and powers. Its based off of who looks the most badass, who has cool moves, whos been around the longest, and sometimes even who has the coolest fatality. You have to remember that most MK fans do not visit forums often and only play the games. These fans dont dig deep into the understanding of storylines, so even if Ermac has a cool story line, which he does not, most MK fans could care less about it.

Sub is the #1 when it comes to ninjas is very arguable and Sub is my favorite so im not being biased at all.

All the stuff you said about Ermac is arguable and opinion based as well. I would say the complete opposite of everything you said. His storyline sucks. TK powers are bowing. His look blows. Hes a rip off of all the other ninjas and is at the bottom of the list when it comes to ninjas.

"From a gameplay point of view Ermac has always been popular, that's without question...in UMK3 he's one of the best characters, period" - i could not disagree more, so it is with question, and he's not one of the best characters at all.

Honestly, i think Ermac is one of the worst characters ever created. hes up there with all the D characters, Grahmin, Darrios, Dairou, Daegon. I would take cage, kano, or jax before him.

So again, you cant take a few MK nuts and their opinions and assume the whole MK world feels the same way.

Here is my ranking of characters, i would assume most people are about the same as me, with the obvious changing of a few positions here or there. But the top 20 are almost everyones top 20, with maybe everyones favorite being different, but generally all the same. As well as the bottom 20. There are few guys like Stryker, Cage, Liu Kang, and Kano who some people either love or hate and could be anywhere on the list. But for the most part, there are those guys in the middle that noone cares about like Ermac, Fujin, Shinnok just to name a few that the vast majority of fans would not even notice, nor care if they were included or excluded from any game:

Scorpion
Subzero
Reptile
Goro
Shoa Kahn
Kintaro
Raiden
Baraka
Liu Kang
Sektor
Kitana
Kung Lao
Mileena
Smoke
Noob
Quan Chi
Shang Tsung
Kintaro
Kabal
Sonya
Rain
Jax
Havik
Cyrax
Motaro
Kano
Shinnok
Cage
Nightwolf
Chameleon
Khameleon
Frost
Reiko
Jade
Sheeva
Fujin
Sindel
Kenshi
Onaga
Hotaru
Ermac
Li Mei
Jarek
Daigon
Shujinko
Hsu Hao
Nitara
Dairou
Kira
Moloch
Darrios
Kai
Mavado
Drahmin
Kobra
Meat
Mokap
Ashrah
Stryker
Tanya
Taven
Blaze
Bo rai Cho

I tried so say this before MKF but you obviously weren't reading for comprehension. Statistical analysis cannot be done from such a skewed sampling of fans. Trying to use your own opinions to extrapolate reasons why people might not like some characters or vise versa is perfectly fine but you can't try to pass that off as fact or anything close to it. The distribution of MK fans that visit forums is in no way a normal distribution and any polls taken from the sample space are completely invalid, statistically.