Marvel = Better Superheroes but DC = Better Villains

I like DC more, but one of my problems with it is the apparent lack of communication between writers. I blame Didio. Morrision said in an inteview last week that he came up with Final Crisis when 52 was starting, and that he considers DOTNG and Countdown apocrypha. Boy, that pissed a lot of people off.

You make a good point, but I wouldn't be a true comic book fan if I didn't point out that Galactus first appeared four years before Darkseid. No worries though, Kirby created both of them, so you can blame him for any similarities.

Good point concerning Darkseid and Galactus, my mistake concerning the years...the rest I know the DC characters came way before, but admit sometimes tend to get those two confused concerning which appeared first since they both appeared around the same time.

I remember the huge controversy when Sentry was made up.....lol Can you say blond Superman?:bs:

I also still get into arguments to this day with one of my closest friends, huge marvel guy and I'm more for DC but we always get into it conerning Hulk vs. Superman, he still doesn't get why Superman would win lol. :-D

Well...Hulk is unfathomably strong, heals quickly, great durability...Superman is unfathomably strong, doesn't need to heal, invincible durability...Supes wins.

Half the cast of DC is way overpowered, but the other half are pathetically weak, they just look impressive.

Marvel is more balanced - no one is WAY overpowered, everyone is JUST overpowered. XD

OK ok.... You all have given me license to become nerdy-er than I've ever been. I thought having Star Wars as my prime fictional interest was bad enough but, hell.... ya'll had to start me on comics didn't 'cha?

As a Star Wars fan I play Star Wars Galaxies... my old Sith master, who has retired, knighted me (Sokarr <--ingame name) Darth Venom. So that's the source of my current username, although I'm certain some have noticed that my current avatar depicts "Venom" of the Marvel 'Spider-verse'.

Just to throw my own opinion here: I do not do DC. When I say this I mean to say I don't read any DC comics... EVER. Why? Well it started when I was young... sorry to say, I just couldn't, can't, and won't read another DC comic ever. Had something to do with a Superman I read when I was like 7. I'm not completely sure though, like written in stone... I mean someday I may finally buy another Batman comic... sometime before I die. LOL. But this is for real... I can only enjoy Batman. In fact, when it comes down to it, if you can't enjoy Batman you can't enjoy reality. That's what partially makes Batman worth his oats. Batman is a MAN... just a man, fighting with everything he has against SOME who do really have 'powers' and some who are just brilliant/skilled lunatics.

EVERYONE has to love Batman, IMO. And following my opinion it stands to reason that anyone can count Batman foes as memorable. No offense to anyone who's posted about Batman's "rogues" but... you all had to say it, because YOU GOTTA LOVE 'EM. None of you had a choice in those posts. Batman's great, and has great villains. He is the entire DC universe to me, and without him it is nothing.

Now otherwise.... SUPERMAN BITES. I'm sorry to all Superman fans and these Superman Vs. Hulk people, but all of you are wrong, again IMO. First off Superman is invincible, thus Superman Vs. Hulk is a bad fight because we already know the outcome, and this also makes Hulk (much as I'm not a huge Hulk fan even) the better hero. WHY? Because he's NOT friggin' invincible. He may be dumb as a rock, but he IS human (heh... well human/mutant). Superman isn't. Superman is a camp idea, a concept that captured little kids imaginations when comic books were crawling in the huggies that brought them to their current standard. Let's be honest... if Superman were never created, and just this month some A-hole at DC decided lets make a Super hero with so many powers that the Grim Reaper himself couldn't kill the f'er, EVERYONE would jeer at it. Why? Because that story SUCKS. I'm sorry it's just not good. You can't give that sort of power to a hero. A villain? Yeah you can do that, in fact for SOME villains you almost have to, otherwise you can't get around killing/eliminating that villain, which not good for profits... or so one would assume.

So we get to Marvel, MY universe. When I was young I cared about Marvel... but I hated reading... Mostly because school makes u read stuff u don't want to. So I'd buy the comics, but not read... or if I did read, I didn't understand complex story lines........ man am I rambling. I'ma bring it to a close here. NOW, I can read and appreciate the story lines to these great old heroes, and I must say that I appreciate them now even more than I had as a child.

Better heroes? Hell yeah, Marvel gots 'em. Spider-man and X-men forever yo. X-men in fact are the Batmen of Marvel to me.. if the X-men end, Marvel ends. Marvels got a lot of characters I love but most of them fall into the Mutant continuity. And villains? IDK, as a non-DC reader I can't make a good comparison... But all the DC villains I know of are Batman Villains, none of which could even handle Spider-man (who IMO is one of the overall weakest heroes in the Marvel Universe, albeit my second Fav hero after Wolverine).

Ok, I'm tired... going to bed... lemme just say this though....

Magneto, Apocalypse, Mastermold.

Yeah, Mags and Apocalypse been mentioned already, but they're great Villains to me. Specially Mags...

I don't care... throw it up, who's a more intriguing and beguiling villain than Magneto? A villain so hero-like that he actually makes you wonder whether he's the antagonist?

Well, I did already mention Magneto, he is very awesome. And the actor that played him in the movies kicked ass. As for "these Superman Vs. Hulk people" I've already said I don't like Superman. He bores me. Same old story every time. He's too powerful, same as you said.

But I object to Master Mold. From what I understand of him he is extremely generic. Nothing I havn't seen before. A synopsis: Supercomputer thinks he knows better than humans, thinks he should rule because he's better than us. Now where have I heard that before? The Outer Limits? Countless Sci-Fi books? THE MATRIX.

However, I will give you the Sentinels. They're design is cool, they're powerful, and they're numerous. I know it's kind of hypocritical to call Master Mold generic and not the Sentinels, but for some reason I just like the Sentinels.

Most places you talk about DC or Marvel, but dare not both. Lol. :p

Supergirl usually is better then Superman, she tends to get the less generic "Beat'em senseless" stories. Lets see, right now Superman is fighting Brainiac (attempt #247 according to Brainiac) in Action Comics, but this so far as been just dull. Artworks nice. He got a bid in as Clark too for half of it.

However the current story is... disappointing. http://jcbaggee.wordpress.com/2008/04/06/supergirl-is-probably-an-idiot/

Unfortantely Supergirl gets used as just another Superman cape sometimes in the comics. This is a habbit of DC - putting everythign in Sueprman and Batman.

Although Superboy did end up on one of the most amusing DC covers ever. Evil beware - we have sponges. http://www.legionwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Image:TheLegion31.jpg

@the Venom kid, well that's your preference man. Personally, I hate the Hulk and feel he has no originality...some scientist that turns into the Hulk in order to fight....wow...sorry but to me it's very dull. Personally, when it comes to Marvel the only deep character to me is Spider-Man and Wolverine out of most. Magneto is pretty cool too, but I just don't see much depth with Marvel as oppose to DC honestly. I'm also an oldschool guy. Never forget Justice League/Legion>X-Men/Avengers. I mean even Stan Lee has come out and admitted in several interviews that he was inspired by DC's JL when he made the X-Men, initially called "The Mutants" but that name wouldn't sell nearly as well as "The X-Men"

But back on the Hulk/Supes topic. Superman is way better, more original and has a hell of a better, deeper past and storyline overall compared to most characters even. At least to me.

Yes, I'm a DC guy and a JL guy but still Superman is like the NY Yankees....most people love them or hate them, there's no grey area and most of the time the "haters" hate them for the dumbest reasons from what I've read honestly in general being a huge fan of both. They're both hated for their popularity and success more then anything....hmmm I smell envy:rolleyes:

Superman more ORIGINAL than the hunk? Dude I think not. Superman is the ultimate NOT original. He's an alien, been there done that. He's got every BASIC superpower any 2 year old has ever wished he had. Flight, superstrength, x-ray vision. He's BASIC. The Hulk? As much as I dislike his story, which I find boring, his origin and powers are VERY original. He was blasted by gamma radiation and turns into a green thing when he gets mad. He didn't do it on purpose, it was so he could fight, his story is all about running away from the military because they want to use him as a weapon. I mean, I understand you're a DC guy but at least be informed when hating on the opposing side.

Here's the thing, when u get down to it, for every super power ever imagined (at this point) there are likely MORE than one hero or villain that has been given that power. I mean you see this in the Marvel Universe just on it's own, and you know that it must logically apply across the board. So with that being said it's almost humorous to use the word original in discussing any particular power, unless you're actually sure the character in question was the first to use it. As for story lines/origins and what not, you give to each his own. Hulk I don't personally think does have the most original story. If you look at his in a broad view he's a victim of circumstance, a "frankenstein" as many heroes/villains have been, and a fugitive... these are all themes that are pretty common place in the comic's world. But it's more so the details and more specific aspects of a story like this that hold us captive. It's like "we've heard this story.... but let us hear your version" type thing. I won't question Superman's background because I don't know enough about it to even render an apt opinion, but what I meant by 'Hulk beats Superman' is that the Hulk ,as ridiculous as he is in strength and size, is the more believable character. A character with Superman's kind of strength is a much better candidate for villain, because thats what you want in a villain, someone annoying that can't be gotten rid of and is extremely menacing in his presence.

My point being that a good analogy for Superman is having a deer chained to a tree while a hunter with an ak47 shoots it repeatedly at point blank range, and when the thing dies everyone cheers as if it were a big accomplishment.

Last edited:
On Superpowers, the manga "One Piece" has some very interesting powers...

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Devil_fruit

When it comes to to it, most Superheroes are reusing the same old stuff, not being creative enough.

-Hulk; Superstrength (Hercules, Atlas), changing/metephorsis (Werewolf/Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde)

I initially was attracted to One Piece because of its awesome and interesting powers. But I was driven away by the ridiculous drawing style and the slow as hell paced storyline with so much filler you would think Naruto was going at light speed. One Piece is fun and interesting, but the ONLY thing fun and interesting about it are the powers and the FIGHTS. But 90% of the show/manga is chatterbox characters with tears drenching their clothes almost constantly with no originality in the plot.

If this was an OP thread... I'd add a little spice to that argument.

But we're discussing Marvel and DC. :p

ok, a few people are making this thread sound stupid.

Superman isnt invincible. Little thing called kryptonite.

Give Bruce Banner Lex Luthor's phone number, and Hulk would destroy Superman (only w/ the green crystal.)

Hulk is one of my all time favorites. I mean, he gets stronger the more he gets angry. Who hasnt been pissed off in real life and want to turn into a monster and beat the shit outta someone? I think most, if not everyone can relate to that aspect.

So start a One Piece thread! I wanna discuss this.

No. :p

@Tim Static; Superman has survived the strength of Gods and beatena few senseless, before you say "Hulk smash cape man!" tell me if he has done the same and I'll think about accepting that claim. Yeah... That just proves the aging statement made earlier about Superman being overpowered... ^-^'

Here's the thing, when u get down to it, for every super power ever imagined (at this point) there are likely MORE than one hero or villain that has been given that power. I mean you see this in the Marvel Universe just on it's own, and you know that it must logically apply across the board. So with that being said it's almost humorous to use the word original in discussing any particular power, unless you're actually sure the character in question was the first to use it. As for story lines/origins and what not, you give to each his own. Hulk I don't personally think does have the most original story. If you look at his in a broad view he's a victim of circumstance, a "frankenstein" as many heroes/villains have been, and a fugitive... these are all themes that are pretty common place in the comic's world. But it's more so the details and more specific aspects of a story like this that hold us captive. It's like "we've heard this story.... but let us hear your version" type thing. I won't question Superman's background because I don't know enough about it to even render an apt opinion, but what I meant by 'Hulk beats Superman' is that the Hulk ,as ridiculous as he is in strength and size, is the more believable character. A character with Superman's kind of strength is a much better candidate for villain, because thats what you want in a villain, someone annoying that can't be gotten rid of and is extremely menacing in his presence.

My point being that a good analogy for Superman is having a deer chained to a tree while a hunter with an ak47 shoots it repeatedly at point blank range, and when the thing dies everyone cheers as if it were a big accomplishment.

Interesting post and I do agree with you on other Marvel characters being way more original then Hulk...by far, I do disagree however : P with you on Hulk/Superman, it's like you said though dude, you said youself you're not aware of Supes history so how can you judge then man?

I'm not a "Hulk fanatic" but I know a good amount of info about him, I can't see how a scientist that has an incident at a lab to turn him into the Hulk is more original then Superman:a guy that is the last son of Krypton, lost his parents and his family except for Supergirl, gets sent off to another planet called Earth, has powers there is all alone until the Kents adopt him. He grows up feeling like an outsider, and if you watch Smallville I think that's a great show that gives us an idea what it was like for Clark growing up. He has a choice, but is confused does he uses his gifts for good or for evil? I'm also adopted myself so believe me, feeling different and afraid of being accepted is a hell of a lot more interesting then anything Hulk can throw on the table overall. To me the Hulk sounds more like something out of a sci-fi show rather then a solid comic book character honestly.

Superman more ORIGINAL than the hunk? Dude I think not. Superman is the ultimate NOT original. He's an alien, been there done that. He's got every BASIC superpower any 2 year old has ever wished he had. Flight, superstrength, x-ray vision. He's BASIC. The Hulk? As much as I dislike his story, which I find boring, his origin and powers are VERY original. He was blasted by gamma radiation and turns into a green thing when he gets mad. He didn't do it on purpose, it was so he could fight, his story is all about running away from the military because they want to use him as a weapon. I mean, I understand you're a DC guy but at least be informed when hating on the opposing side.

Like I said above, just read why Superman is indeed more original then Hulk. I see the idea of Hulk but it's not that deep, emotional as Supes backstory is. Not by a long shot. lol, when you say he's an alien been there...done that, you do realize he's the first bigtime, popular comic book character that happens to be an alien ever created right? And indeed is original BECAUSE it was never done before, since that time both DC and Marvel have created COUNTLESS characters that are "aliens" so it's not really a been there done that scenario since Superman was the first ever bigtime comic book character that happened to be from another world.

BTW, you might want to do a little more research next time before you post about Supes(no offense but he's the first bigtime comic book character, you're acting as if the idea is "old" yet Supes was created in the 1930s.....)

On the contrary, I'm very imformed on judging (not hating, there's a big difference) the opposite, Hulk is not original to me. How is a guy that's a scientist, gets into a incident at the lab thus making him "The Hulk" when he gets pissed and large more original then Superman's deep past? I definitely disagree. You have to realize that ones personal preference is fine, you like the Hulk, I like Supes but there are also facts about both characters none the less.

Last edited:
You misunderstand me. I'm saying that anybody who's ever been younger than 15 have imagined having Superman's powers exactly. He's not original because EVERYBODY wants those powers. Not unoriginal in that he's been "done before" in comic book world, but because he's so easy to think of. Now take a character like Omega (I think that's the guy), the son of Darkseid that got traded to the New Gods in exchange for one of their own as part of a treaty that keeps their worlds from going to war that rides on a scooter that shoots lasers and travels via "Boom Tube". Those are the kinds of origins that take a lot of thought to think. Superman may be the original comic book superhero, but he's not got one original thought put into his creation.

P.S. I HATE THE HULK. I thought I said that?

You misunderstand me. I'm saying that anybody who's ever been younger than 15 have imagined having Superman's powers exactly. He's not original because EVERYBODY wants those powers. Not unoriginal in that he's been "done before" in comic book world, but because he's so easy to think of. Now take a character like Omega (I think that's the guy), the son of Darkseid that got traded to the New Gods in exchange for one of their own as part of a treaty that keeps their worlds from going to war that rides on a scooter that shoots lasers and travels via "Boom Tube". Those are the kinds of origins that take a lot of thought to think. Superman may be the original comic book superhero, but he's not got one original thought put into his creation.

P.S. I HATE THE HULK. I thought I said that?

Ohh nah dude I understand you fine, just going based on what you said and how it sounded man. ; )

He's very original because of story, as for powers that's matter of opinion. Hulk in comparison is hardly original, quite boring actually and predictable.

He's very original compared to most characters:-D

But we all have our personal preferences I suppose.

How is Hulk un-original?

I must have missed all the other comics about a scientist who survives severe gamma radiation and becomes a huge green suprememly strong raging monster when he becomes very angry.

It's cool man, everyone likes someone different in comics especially.

I guess it's all a matter of personal taste, I'm more of an oldschool dude honestly. I like the boyscout types like Superman, Spider-Man over characters that turn into monsters when they get mad.

Last edited: