The best MK2 rumors you tried or almost beleived...

Trash-MKX

This goes out to the players old enough who were playing MK2 in the ARCADE when it first hit the scene...way back in those prehistoric days when having internet access in your house was considered new and rare :)

Out of the fake FAQs and rumors that were hitting the arcades I visited back when a new revision was released, these seemed to be the most popular:

Kano transformation - 2 different versions of this rumor. One was of course a Kano morph using Shang Tsung.
And the other was just morphing into Kano to do his fatality.

Never really anything big on Sonya, but one comes to mind - While playing on Khan's Arena, if you do Sonya's MK1 fatality movement right in front of where she is being chained up, your charcter did her Kiss of Death fatality.

People always claimed there traveled to "arcade xx" and that arcade's best player beat them so bad because he could morph into Goro.

Shang Tsung's "Ceiling Walk" move - making him un-hittable as he shot fireballs from above.

The armory stage had a stage fatality - the floor opens up and you could knock your opponent into a snake pit. Or pick up a background weapon and use it as a finishing move.

The Lui Kang looking guy on fire in the background of the Pit II was playable and/or fightable.

Baraka's Blade Spin move was always said to be put back into the game after a new revision.

Prolly one of the biggest going around - Animalites. Sub-Zero turns into and giant polar bear and smacks your head/torso off. We all know that rumor became some big, it actually became true. A game later.

And the one rumor that so many ppl claimed they saw - Nudealties.

Anymore you remember? Post away...

Oh man, there were so damn many...

An alternate Dead Pool fatality in which you could knock an opponent onto the hooks. Actually, for a while I was convinced that it was at least possible in one of the MK2 hacks on MAME.

A Living Forest stage fatality in which you could knock someone into the mouth of a tree if you timed it perfectly.

Of course there were also plenty of bullshit lies that friends told me because I was so trusting and gullible-- I doubt they even went as far as being actual rumors. One was that you could make someone explode after hitting the ground in the Pit 2 fatality.

I can't think of anymore at the moment, but I'm definitely gonna revisit this topic when I can. All this stuff was so incredibly exciting at the time, it really brings back memories.

This game caused so mnay rumors, I dont think I could even remmeber them all.

Nudalites & Animalites were the biggest 2 rumors, but just diferent fatalites, such as Jax breaking you in half, and another with Jax were he sticks his arm up your ass and removes your organs and such. Yeah ****ing right.

But yeah, on the Pit 2, that burning dude is calld Hornbuckle. Fighing him, the flying priests, Jade, Smoke, Kano, all that shit.

This was the golden age of MK. I'm glad I was apart of it, and not just a part of it, but I worked at an arcade, and I was there for all 5 MKs. Best times of my life, for sure. :)

Oh man, there were so damn many...

An alternate Dead Pool fatality in which you could knock an opponent onto the hooks. Actually, for a while I was convinced that it was at least possible in one of the MK2 hacks on MAME.

A Living Forest stage fatality in which you could knock someone into the mouth of a tree if you timed it perfectly.

Oh yeah! I forgot about the hooks and the living forest stage fatalites. My arcade had one of those hack versions and you could punch them on the dead pool stage and they would float above it, almost looked like they were on the hooks.

I think that hack had Jax's super fast grab-n-smack, Cage's red shadow kick, you fought hidden characters, Kintaro, and everyone out of order. And after finish him/her, you got a longer timer and were able to do things before the fatality or time ran out. You could fight smoke on any stage toasty popped up in a 1-player game, Noob after a few wins.

Last edited:
The good old days. I guess the hungry trees and hooks became reality in MKSM. It's difficult to think of any rumors that weren't already posted. I remember gathering as many of the magazines as I could before this game came out, the eye candy was nice for the time. I still have those somewhere around here.

I think I was around 13 when I finally saw the machine, at some bowling alley or skating rink if I remember correctly. Shame I didn't get to play it but a couple of times that day, since everyone was pretty much summoned to it. I still remember something I believe I saw. Maybe it was just an early version or I was too hyped about the game to bring any logic to it, but I thought early Reptile had a spear. I could have almost sworn I saw someone do a finishing move, screen distance, where Reptile threw a spear aimed at the neck which decapitated the opponent. Of course I can't find any information on that, so I have to assume it was my imagination running wild, or was in a very limited version release which still lacks any documentation available. Since I own the arcade boards for 1,2,3,3U,4...I keep checking for beta Roms.

Oh yeah! I forgot about the hooks and the living forest stage fatalites. My arcade had one of those hack versions and you could punch then on the dead pool stage and they would float above it, almost looked like they were on the hooks.

I think that hack had Jax's super fast grab-n-smack, Cage's red shadow kick, you fought hidden characters, Kintaro, and everyone out of order. And after finish him/her, you got a longer timer and were able to do things before the fatality or time ran out. You could fight smoke on any stage toasty popped up in a 1-player game, Noob after a few wins.

Yes, its the Mortal Kombat 2: Immortal Challenger hack.

I am making a cab that features 4 different versions of MK2. Rv 3.1, Rv 4.2, Rv. 9.0 and The Immortal Challenger hack.

Plus, I am having a UMK3/MK2 tournamnet at the bowling alley I work at ( www.PalaceLanes.com ) on July 26th & 27th here in Columbus Ohio. You all are invited.:)

Most of the rumors actually became reality in MKSM. Fighting the floating priests was one of the ones they showcased. Fighting/Playing Ermac was another one. That was in MKSM as well. So was fighting Kano etc. etc. etc.

MK II arcade, eh? I think I had people telling me that Kano and Sonya could be freed if you did Baraka's impale fatality on an opponent who was was right in front of Sonya / Kano (supposedly Baraka's blade would slice through the chain). After that, the story would vary: "Once they're freed, Shang Tsung can morph into them and they have all their moves from MK 1 and a few new ones" or "Once Kano / Sonya is freed, he'll / she'll perform another fatality on your opponent after they slide off of Baraka's blade."

Additional rumors included a red female ninja palatte swap ("Ruby" or "Skarlet"), ways to consistently perform Cage's red shadow attacks, and the odd one that you could enter some sort of code using the joystick (similar to the Contra code). The effects of said code generally were either access to the Audits screen, to a special version of the Audits screen that allowed for extra secret characters / attacks / free play, or that would make Baraka slice up the screen after a victory, similar to Wolverine on the Capcom fighting games.

Alright, this is a great thread.
Shang Tsung on the ceiling happened on old revisions as a result of doing his friendship on the Kombat Tomb stage.
Armoury floor dancing after Reptiles Fatality led to the rumour of the floor opening.
Most others were wishful thinking.
Hornbuckle was a programmer I think, whom Jade and Smoke would randomly appear and mention. Many took it to either be the burning dude (now accepted as blaze) or the green palette swapped Liu Kang.
Kano transformations were listed in the statistics screen, as a joke by Boon and Tobais to keep people playing.
Many used to say you could stay as Kintaro after the Shang Tsung Fatility, again, wishful thinking, rumour mongering.
Thanks for the invite Tim, sorry, but suprisingly I don't think I'll make it from where I live.

Didn't the rumor about the hooks in the Dead Pool stage start from an edited photo in EGM or some other mag? I seem to remember seeing a photo claiming to be of that in a magazine.

Man back when my friends and I were young and hormonal we used to spent much time in the hot summer days discussing MK, specifically nudalities. Mostly, we started and spread rumors of their actual content. For instance, Johnny Cage would take off his pants and shoot his wing-wong like a missile. That was my personal favorite.

However, the current curiosity filling my mind like a basin is WHY DID SOMEBODY BUMP A 2 YEAR OLD THREAD!?

However, the current curiosity filling my mind like a basin is WHY DID SOMEBODY BUMP A 2 YEAR OLD THREAD!?

No I think Tim said it best. It's an existing thread, I'm okay with a bump if it's on topic. If it's not on topic, report it to the moderators so we can remove the post thusly de-bumping it.

Im not puzzled about anything. God does everyone have a dick up their ass on this forum or what?

jka sorry about that, some people are a bit uptight and I ask that you don't let them get to you.

Anyone remember when EGM ran the pic of the character Nimbus Terrafaux in MK?

I do remember this. If I get in the mood sometime I'll dig through all my old issues and get a pic of it. I know I have the issue with the original Ermac picture. I was a subscriber at the time.

Thanks a lot too for this thread it brought back a lot of cool memories. I remember when they first got that MK2 machine at my bowling alley. I was flipping out! My friend and I came back later to play it more and he actually got sick because he was so worked up and ended up laying on the bathroom floor. There was ALWAYS a crowd of 5 or more people around that machine.

Last edited:
I remember a kid I went to school with swearing up and down he saw a female version of Goro back when MK2 first came out. Nobody believed him but when MK3 came out it was questioned again.