Do you think they ruined MK with DC?

Scorpy

I looked at the previews...

DC will sell their characters to anyone! :The_Villagers:

And yes, I'm traditionalist about Mortal Kombat.

Hmm....I dunno quite how to put this. Ruined MK with DC...it seems MK is hurt far more from association with non-violence of the DC comics, no fatalities and whatnot. But to say at this point that either one is "ruined" at all, much less due to the other's presence, I think is premature. We've seen a couple pictures, which by all means look amazing. We've seen one trailer that advertises 2 sweet new fighting mechanics. But even so we havn't seen anything in-game yet nor any of the characters in action at all, aside from a pre-rendered teaser.

I'll wait to see if anything is "ruined" when we see more at E3.

If anything it's probably a step back for the DC characters since it would seem like interacting with Mortal Kombat characters would be seen as kind of slumming by their fans.

I mean, obviously I'm a big MK fan but to have Scorpion and Sub-Zero rubbing shoulders with cultural icons like Superman and Batman is kind of crazy.

If, due to this, we never see another stand-alone M-rated MK game, then yes. Otherwise... probably not quite "ruined".

No. The game needed some type of mix-up, reboot or something to gain interest. I wanted an MK VS for awhile now and I have been playing MK since the first arcade MK was gathering crowds. At this point, fatalities kinda got lame and boring to me, prolly back after MK3 was out. As long as its some type of finisher, super move, etc., that's fine with me. Don't care if there is blood, i'm not 10 anymore, does nothing for me.

MvC2 is prolly one of the funnest, if not the funnest fighting games to play with a bunch of ppl. If MK vs DC is even half as fun, i'll be very happy.

I either wanted a VS game or a new old school 2D style MK game again. One down, one to go.

Well if you don't like finishers and you don't mind a lack of blood....what the hell do you want? A balanced fighting system? HA. No. Fatalities are important. I realized that when I played MKA. I didn't feel like my finisher was worth shit. I didn't have any round-ending satisfaction. Finishers are definitely important. I'm not saying there NEEDS to be blood, but it's got to be brtual and satisfying. Or else a big chunk of MK is just lost. So far all we've got is art. I saw art for MKA and I thought it looked terrific. But that didn't turn out to live up to my expectations.

It's like, you don't know what you've lost until it's gone.

I wish people would stop cursing the game before its released... Hold it off until the date for release is here, once the game is out, then you can critise it to all kingdom come and back again.

(BTW, Kingdom Come was a comic storyline by DC as it happens...)

Well I'm excited to see how DC does with the story. There's gonna be a comic book tie-in and I would just love to read it. I think MK could benefit from some talented writers. Ever since Tobias left it's been kind of sub-par.

I looked at the previews...

DC will sell their characters to anyone! :The_Villagers:

And yes, I'm traditionalist about Mortal Kombat.

Ok, dumb comment.

I'm very excited about playin as the DC characters, even more so than the MK roster.

I'll say it again though, I really wish this was just another MK game, not a VS. I would have really liked to seen what Capcom could do with the license, a la Marvel vs Capcom.

Heck, I'd like to see Capcom interpretation (sp?) of MK. Capcom vs MK through Capcoms eyes would be very interesting, to say the least.

I'm with Trash on this one - MK needs a reboot. Every time we're told that the next MK will be something Earth-shattering, Ed and Company get gun shy and bring things back to where they started. MK3 was a fairly significant step in a different direction - Cyberninjas, No Scorpion, Different looks for returning characters - and two upgrades later, we received MK Trilogy, supposedly the final hurrah for the original MK storyline. MK4 did the same thing - supposedly a new start, but one upgrade later, we received MK Gold and more returning characters. MKDA has Shang Tsung snapping Liu Kang's neck, only to see Liu return in MKD, and only to see everyone return in MKA. Any attempt at depth is retconned, any successful progress in storyline / character development seems to be accidental.

I tried asking this before and no seemed to care, but can't hurt to try again: What makes Mortal Kombat "Mortal Kombat"? How do you define MK? Is it the finishing moves? We've seen other games with finishing moves, alot of them on par with MK's fatalities, so I'm gonna say it isn't the Fatalities. Is it the blood? Same thing - we've seen other games with blood. Best I can figure, it's the characters, the "Existance Is In Trouble" storyline that seems to be in every game, and some derivative of the MK3 engine. That said, if MK has been run into the ground, it isn't because of DC Comics; it's because Midway hasn't done anything *really* different with MK in some time.

To the poster above who said why am i playing MK if not for the fatalities...because of the game play/ fighting style that makes it DIFFERENT from the capcom and SNK fighters. Because the characters and stories were so interesting. The fatality gimmick was cool at first...but come on...how many times can u rip off a head or torso? and have it be new and fresh?

I used to and still hate the fact that MK is just know for blood and gore and finishing moves. Why do you think MK:A had that create a fatality? Prolly because boon and company ran out of ideas.

Never really liked the next generations of MK games - DA, Deceptions, Arm. Just NEVER felt MK to me. I grew up on the 2D MK gameplay and enjoyed that more. From what I played of those 3 games, I NEVER knew any fatalites and never bothered to look them up, but as much as I enjoyed MK-MK3 and I guess MK4, more, I still had fun playing those other next gen MK w/o the finishing moves.

Well you won't hear me say the 2D MKs were legitimately differentiated from Capcom and SNK games, I can't stand those kinds of 2D fighters...I dunno I think it's the way they move, holding back to block always having to juggle...not my style. But I'm just saying, MK is MK because of the way it comes together as a package. MK has good characters, an interesting universe, entertaining gameplay (even if it isn't balanced and glitch-free) and FATALITIES. The blood is NOT a thing that MK can ignore. You will NEVER see me say MK is just about the blood, I gladly took what I could playing MK on the SNES as a child but it was that over-the-top total brutality of it that gave it some of it's charm. Charm is something MK has in droves. Street Fighter doesn't have charm. It lacks any kind of charm. But if you remove a crucial aspect of MK it will be worse off for you having done so. No, MK is not ruined by a lack of blood, but thinking you can preserve that same MK charm without the gore is foolish. And for the record, I still love to do a fatality EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Wrong again. DC approached Midway. Boon said so in an interview. He said they were all gung ho to make MK8 when DC said "wanna do a crossover" and Boon didn't want to let the opportunity slip by.

Hell yeah Galamador, whip some verbal ass!I seen the preveiw and it looks pretty bad ass.Impactive!The truth is MK has slowly been slitting it's forearm for years now.Boonster and the team were totally gonna rock your world with 8 anyway ("Gears of War style!"-Boon.RIGHT!!).Now he done did it anyway, but with a vengance.Not only are the brand spanking new MK characters going to be punching you directly in the face.You can expect a nice kick to the nads from the JOKER!!!!This is only gonna increase profit for everyone.And since the storyline writers are gonna twist the knots together on certain character storylines, we can probly expect to see more dc.

Yeah, apart from we aren't gonna see any brand spanking new MK characters. This is for the well-knowns. Gotta wait for the real MK8 for that one.

Considering the post-MKM track record for new characters...I'm kinda happy we won't be seeing any this time around. Hell, I didn't even like all the MK3 characters *cough*StrykerSheevaSindelNightwolf*cough*. Of all the post MK3 characters, I like Havik, Li Mei, MKA Reiko, Mavado (SORT OF), and Shujinko. That leaves alot to be desired. I say post MKM because I pretty much like ALL the characters from MKM including Quan Chi, Sareena, Fujin, and most of all SHINNOK. Sooooo...yea, no new characters is fine by me.

Yeah, apart from we aren't gonna see any brand spanking new MK characters. This is for the well-knowns. Gotta wait for the real MK8 for that one.

Wether you like it or not, this IS MK8.

I know how you feel. Personally, I'm still waiting for he real MK5.