Do you think they ruined MK with DC?

The main reason I never get too excited about an MK game: there's always a problem with the fans.

Personally I'd have to side with Glam on this. MK is MK folks. I'm all for opinion, but y'all make it sound like the series was made by a bunch of friggin monkeys!

I don't just like MK for the blood n gore, but for the somewhat good storyline and characters. Heck my favorite fighter isn't even that popular. I applaud Boon and the team for commitment to the series, never giving up when all seemed lost.

I grew up with Batman (born the day Batman Returns was released into theatres) and have grown ok with DC. I can't wait for this game. I really don't think MK vs Street Fighter would have worked.

Ah yes I'm a fan of the early artstyle as well. I often argue with my friend swatpointman about it. He favors MK3's more modern look, and I prefer MKII's more traditional eastern look. I was very happy with how they adapted that style for MKSM and they seem to be doing an excellent job of it with MKvDC as well. So I'm pleased.

As for seeing the full extent of Raiden's powers...that'd be sweet. We saw a glimpse of it when he destroyed the Deadly Alliance's palace. But that was a desperation blow, imagine what he could do if he let loose without restrictions.

MK won't be ruined with DC. Midway/MK Team just wanted to try something different. I'm gonna assume that this game is just a side project, eventho it was stated that it is the eighth installment of the series.

The main reason I never get too excited about an MK game: there's always a problem with the fans.

Personally I'd have to side with Glam on this. MK is MK folks.
I'm all for opinion, but y'all make it sound like the series was made by a bunch of friggin monkeys!

I don't just like MK for the blood n gore, but for the somewhat good storyline and characters. Heck my favorite fighter isn't even that popular. I applaud Boon and the team for commitment to the series, never giving up when all seemed lost.

I grew up with Batman (born the day Batman Returns was released into theatres) and have grown ok with DC. I can't wait for this game. I really don't think MK vs Street Fighter would have worked.

Um, no & no.

It really should go without saying but Ed Boon can only make the MK games that he feels are right. It doesn't mean we have to like those games, it literally just means that Ed can only make the MK games that *he feels* are right. If Ed feels that MK Vs. DC is the way to go, then we, as fans, need to make a decision; the decision being whether we're going to pound our fists and whine because the next MK game isn't MK II again or whether we should see if MK Vs. DC has any merit to it. If it does, then great - we have another *game* to play. A *game*. As in "another way to have fun, to kill time, to waste time, etc.". If it doesn't, then we can throw up our hands and say, "Once again, Ed has found another way to desecrate whatever legacy MK once had", and return to our emulators / successfully ported "classic" games and move along.

If he's really out there listening, he's shown little to no indication of making MK games based off of "what the fans want", other than repeatedly giving us characters left out of installments (e.g. UMK3, MK Trilogy, MK Gold, MK Armageddon) or ports / emulations of classic games (e.g. "Arcade Perfect" MK 1, UMK on the DS, MK II on MKSM). And that's fine - MK is his game to do with as he pleases. We're allowed to not like every direction he takes the series in.

Not at all, in fact I think both have more to bank then lose. This game will sell regardless because of the curious casual fanbase(that don't play mk nor dc games) as well as the MK crowd and DC fans who are in desperate need of a DC game that will be talked about more then just a week lol. Besides, they haven't had a fighting game since the SNES/Sega days....and although JL heroes was good, it fell off the map fast.

Think about it, MK needed a revamp and something new....that they did. Honestly, the riddance of "over the top fatalities" doesn't bother me in the least, they're still have finishers, it'll still be dark and have blood(as you can see from the teaser)

As for DC, well lets face it. DC has been DEAD as far as video games that stick out with the DC sticker....being crossover with MK a very popular american fighting game and generally interesting, I think it'll finally put DC on the map in the world of video games.

Why not?

If MVC2 can survive, then so can MKvsDC easily. That's my opinion on the situation. I'm very much looking forward to this game being a huge fan of both series, MK more though : )

:ciao:

Last edited:
I'm a little sad that people are accepting the loss of over-the-top fatalities so easily...I mean I know I've seen threads over at the Midway forums (and a few here as well) saying fatalities are the be-all end-all of MK, which I disagree with, but these kinds of posts scare me far more. Fatalities are part of the magic MK formula that captivates me once a year (give or take) and keeps me coming back. Fatalities might have gotten a little ridiculous sure, but I can't say I won't be deeply dissapointed if these finishers suck just to fit the game into that T rating.

I've posted myself that finishers can be good without blood, and I really believe that, but even if they are how is that gonna affect MK? This game is a mess of emotions with me. On one hand, I like DC and love MK and I've always wanted a crossover. On the other hand, I know both sides are gonna have to be nerfed to fit this all together. MK can't be as brutal and DC can't be "superheroes" if the two franchises are going to interact.

But I must remain optimistic! July is less than a month away and we'll finally see if this game is up to snuff!

Glam: If you know this, then you seem to be ignoring it in your posts- you can be a devoted MK fan and simply not care for over-the-top fatalities anymore. There isn't any secret law handed down from Midway that says otherwise. Personally, while I don't feel that the Kreate a Fatality system was a gift from the gaming gods, I liked the freedom to brutalize my opponent as I saw fit and not be constrained to simply pulling their neck out to a ridiculous length or spinning them so fast that their body was torn apart ostensibly by centripetal force or simply electrocuting them until they exploded, like I had for the past three or four games.

As for how these new finishers are going to affect MK- well it goes without saying, you're obviously gonna have to wait and see. Maybe Ed and company will decide that the changes are the way to go, maybe they'll decide to up their game and make the next MK game even gorier than before. Ain't worth worrying yourself into a frenzy until you see something concrete though.

Sure the no-blood no-fatalities thing would have a negative effect on the mk fans , but i can't wait till i kick some DC ass !
And c'mon , y'all have been playing the series since the '90s , support the game that we all love .

Sub-zero: You actually raised a good point without even meaning to. I've been playing MK since the '90s. I was there when the original MK hit arcades. I've seen all of the fatalities - over the top or gritty quasi-realistic - and I think I'm just all Fatality-ed out, which is why MKA's Kreate a Fatality was so appealing. I don't have to memorize a different motion for every fatality for every character, I can just destroy them with a set of moves I dictate and move right along. Not a perfect system by any means, but I felt it was a good step in a different direction.

The fans can't be whining about how MK is stagnating and then, in the same breath, talk about how Midway needs to keep looking backwards and do what they did in the old MK games.

Let me rephrase that:

The fans need to *stop* whining about how MK is stagnating if *they're* the ones who are insisting that newer games should more closely resemble older games.

If you don't dig the current direction that Ed is steering MK towards, that's cool: just enjoy the classic games and call it a day. It should go without saying btu Midway isn't soliciting opinions and Ed Boon isn't making MK games based off of the fans' demands.

If you don't dig the current direction that Ed is steering MK towards, that's cool: just enjoy the classic games and call it a day. It should go without saying btu Midway isn't soliciting opinions and Ed Boon isn't making MK games based off of the fans' demands.

...and that is the problem.

Capcom does it. Why cant Midway?

Because Ed & comp knows his game will sell, no matter how shitty it is.

Facts are facts, and that is a fact.

i dont think they ruined it at all i hated the idea at first but then i got to thinking about it and now i really have an obsession with it . and to add so far they have had some awsome character and stage designs. and i still check everyday for updates so i think all in all this is what the game needed something new and fresh something other than the ordinary ya know ? im dont get me wrong i love the old mk games but am ready for something new and this fits the bill . I also agree with Tim about the DC characters - mostly if Green Lantern is in the game :)

Well you don't have to check for updates every day (even though I do too). But I am happy that Eddy is giving us small but succulent morsels on a regular basis. Every week or two we seem to get a new render or concept. I liked the way Super Smash Bros. Dojo would update every day with a new tidbit. But what they did wrong was that it WAS every day. That's too much info. Takes away all the surprise. But with news coming every week Boon can keep up interest in MK vs. DCU and give us what we want without ruining it when it finally comes.

I hope they don't go crazy with revealing stuff at E3...considering the embargoes and semi-weekly renders we've been getting though, I think they're trying to keep things somewhat under wraps this time. I like it.

Tim: Take it up with Ed and Midway, man. If we're going the "facts are facts" route, the fact is that there are alot of equally self-proclaimed MK fans who don't mind accepting MKDA and above as part of the MK legacy. I don't know that those games will ever be as fondly remembered as MK, MK II or UMK3 but whatever. Ed has to make his games the way he sees fit and if you view it as "My fans are idiots, they'll buy ANYTHING!", well, whatever floats your boat, man. Stick to the classics as your sig implies you do and be happy. I really don't envision Ed hauling out the blue screen / video capture equipment anytime soon to make the next true MK game, nor do I see John Tobias willingly re-entering the fold to help him.

MK as you prefer it seems to be dead, sir. It lives on in emulators, ports and the occasional homebrew concoction (e.g. MUGEN, Ultimate MK Trilogy).

MK isn't dead so long as they still make games. And all the last games have pushed enough to warrent more. Don't call it dead until its cancelled. MK is Midways biggest earner.

since none of us have played it yet, i dont think we should be saying dc ruined mk. for all you know it could be a better game than deception or armageddon.

Well I'm excited to see how DC does with the story. There's gonna be a comic book tie-in and I would just love to read it. I think MK could benefit from some talented writers. Ever since Tobias left it's been kind of sub-par.

very well put Tim i myself am another person who finds themselves very eager to play this rendition
i find myself checking websites for news and updates almost daily if not hourly:_evil::hmmmm::hail:

Last edited:
You...you quoted me, not Tim. Anyway, I'm still checking this site and Midway boards at least once a day.