What Rivalries would make sense in this game?

Glamador: Actually, we *should* expect it. Since when has Ed and Company ever *not* gone the obvious route with alliances? I'm kindly ignoring the brief flirtation that was Shang Tsung, Quan Chi and Raiden in the opening movie of MKD as it only lasted for five seconds before Raiden's kamikaze attack ended it.

I'm not saying I want alliances - I'd be all for the bad guys doing their own thing and even for the good guys operating independently of each other - but I wouldn't be too surprised if we see Batman, Liu Kang, Raiden and Superman (if not others) forming a mini Justice League or if Shang Tsung and Lex Luthor offered up a repeat of MKDA by teaming up to defeat Superman and Raiden (think about it: Ed keeps mentioning Superman's weakness as being 'magic'. Shang Tsung is a sorcerer. 'Nuff said.).

Yea but what you should consider is that character endings and such will be penned by DC writers since they are major story points in the tie-in comic (according to Trash-MKX's source anyway) so I think this game will be considerably less expected. And I think that's a good thing because MK needs a big change.

Glamador: Apologies, I completely forgot about the tie-in comic. And, indeed, we can only hope that DC's writers inject a breath of fresh air into the MK universe. I'd love nothing more than to see the MK crew return to something similar to their MK1 roots, operating more or less independently of each other (Sonya's after Kano; Scorpion's after Sub-Zero; Liu, Johnny, Raiden are there for their own reasons)

Look, guys, I neither assumed or affirmed that there would be any alliances between anyone... I merely posted this question because I wanted to know...
Which characters would form the best alliances in this game?
Just for ...You know, fun :)

And because most of you have wery sound, interesting opinions.

Last edited:
Bloodraven: I don't think anyone actually assumed that you were assuming or affirming anything, sir. Just idly speculating about that which is currently in development. As far as which characters would make the "best" alliances, well... it goes without saying, that's completely subjective.

On the other hand, who would I like to see team up? Hotaru and Superman. The crazed zealot of Order and the classic American good guy - two sides of the same coin. Heck, Hotaru and any of the "good guys" from DC.

kano is one of my all time faves and i could see the story slide with batman but i could see them putting him in there just for conflict between mk characters in general cause if the suposed "confurmed characters" Jax and Sonya =Batman and Robin
then i would asume they would throw him in to be the conflict between J and S and joker would be the conflict between B and R

A few alliances that I would find to be intresting would be,

Superman and Raiden

Batman and Scorpion

Wonder Woman and Kitana

Robin and Liu Kang

Nightwing and Kung Lao

Flash and Fujin

Sonya Blade and Black Canary

Those would be a few.

I don't see how those work at all. Why would Batman go with Scorpion? Kitana and Wonder Woman's only common tie is that they're both chicks. Robin and Liu Kang? Why because Robin is a martial artist like half the roster? Idk, I'm all for alliances but come on, give a reason why.

Glamador: Scorpion and Batman? Really, you can't see it? Scorpion was once a human, before he was murdered by Sub-Zero and became bent on vengeance. Batman was once just Bruce Wayne, before he was "murdered" by the murder of his parents (His life, as it would have been, ended and he began on the path that would lead him to someday becoming Batman) and became bent on justice. From a purely speculative perspective, it's not *that* far reaching of an idea.

Stranger things have happened in the MK and DC worlds, sir. The idea of a hellspawn spectre and a part-time-billionaire / part-time-detective who spends his nights running around in spandex body armor and who has a triple major in chemistry, rocket science, and kicking ass is hardly a remote possibility.

And, may it be put on the record that, circa MKDA onward, Midway was implying that Scorpion was now a "Good Guy" (Or, at the very least, 'Chaotic Good' if I can invoke the Dungeons and Dragons standards for a second).

Last edited:
Scorpion has always been Chaotic Neutral. Sub-Zero is Chaotic-Good. I dunno I just can't see Batman with Scorpion. Scorpion is generally not nice and his only thought is for vengeance and anger. Batman is about justice and making sure nobody's parents ever get killed again and all that. I don't think they would get along AT ALL.

Glamador: I should've been more clearer - I was basing Scorpion on his MK II, MKD and slightly MKA incarnations where Midway was painting him somewhat slightly more as a tragic hero (e.g. MK II: sparing Sub-Zero's life, realizing that Sub-Zero had a younger brother and feeling something akin to pity; MKD: making a deal with the Elder Gods to be their champion but only if the Shirai Ryu are revived; MKA: he gets to the top of the pyramid and, while he wishes for the Shirai Ryu's revival, who's among them but his wife and son. When his son is kidnapped by Quan Chi, he orders *all* of the Shirai Ryu to pursue Quan Chi - that's one dedicated father, as far as I'm concerned).

Heck, even in his ending in MKDA, the way his ending is written seems like Midway's trying to pull sympathy for the devil...

But indeed, I'd like to see Scorpion and Batman for the same reason that I'd like to see Hotaru with any of DC's crew - Scorpion and Batman are both operating from a core of a vengeance but from very different perspectives. It's the whole unlikely partners scenario - the Men In Black films did it, the Rush Hour films did it, and if Midway and DC are considering Scorpion and Batman, then MKVDCU will do it as well.

I don't see how those work at all. Why would Batman go with Scorpion? Kitana and Wonder Woman's only common tie is that they're both chicks. Robin and Liu Kang? Why because Robin is a martial artist like half the roster? Idk, I'm all for alliances but come on, give a reason why.

Alright.

Superman and Raiden: I chose these two because to me there status in both of there respected universes could be intresting on how they will interact.

Batman and Scorpion: This one seems like it would be very intresting, lately I find Scorpion to be more neutral then evil. They both are dark and both seek vengence, one is willing to cross the line in killing someone when the other really feels the opposite. I wonder how these two would correspond with eachother.

Wonder Woman and Kitana: Well both are Princess's of two different worlds, and both fight on the battle fiield then by just sending someone out to do it for them. Could be intresting.

Robin and Liu Kang: Robin/Tim Drake has been trained well in the areas of forensic, criminology, martial arts, acrobatics, escapology, stealth, and disguise. He has learned from other masters besides Batman, them being Rahul Lama/healing arts teacher, DEA agent/Clyde Rawlins, and Lady Siva/whom he got his bo staff from. I really think it would be something is Liu kang met with Robin, I think Liu Kang could teach him even more then what he already knows in certain areas. I feel these two would get along as well.

Nightwing and Kung Lao: To me this seems like a darker version of Liu Kang and Robin. I think Kung Lao and Nightwing really would work very well together when fighting in large group battles, both are tactical which could make things even more entertaining.

Flash and Fujin: I can already see this now, Flash cracking a Joke hear and there and Fujin getting annoyed by it all. But when it comes down to fighting I don't think many people will be able to touch these two, Flash is so fast, Fujin can fly, and they both have moves which can make tornado's and what not. Over all I think this would be a team to reckon with.

Sonya Blade and Black Canary: For the last bunch. I find these two to be very tough women with very different talented ways of fighting. It seems like in any given fight neither one of them would ever give up, if you know what I mean.

Yes I can definitely see how Robin/Liu and Nightwing/Lao have some great parallels that would really expand on the rivalry set about in MKSM.

I still feel Scorpion and Batman would be at each other's throats, plus Scorpion has ALWAYS been Neutral, never evil, never good, always out for himself.

I had forgotten about the warrior princess angle for Kitana/Wonder Woman.

Flash and Fujin make a good pairing. I can totally see that.

Sonya and Black Canary would make a great team...of lesbians.

Yes I can definitely see how Robin/Liu and Nightwing/Lao have some great parallels that would really expand on the rivalry set about in MKSM.

I still feel Scorpion and Batman would be at each other's throats, plus Scorpion has ALWAYS been Neutral, never evil, never good, always out for himself.

I had forgotten about the warrior princess angle for Kitana/Wonder Woman.

Flash and Fujin make a good pairing. I can totally see that.

Sonya and Black Canary would make a great team...of lesbians.

Lol to the Sonya thing. Yah totally agree with you on the Scorpion and Batman thing. If they did form an alliance I think things would start off rough, but it would be intresting to see how things would progress.

Nightwing and Kung Lao: To me this seems like a darker version of Liu Kang and Robin. I think Kung Lao and Nightwing really would work very well together when fighting in large group battles, both are tactical which could make things even more entertaining.

That would be a really good team-up .

Yeah I think the Liu Kang/Robin, Kung Lao/Nightwing alliances would work.

But with theory in mind, I think to get good rivalries and alliances is to take a look at what possibly will be the outcome of the roster.

Reports says there is going to be a focus on 20 core characters, 10 from each side. The way I see it, the ten original characters from the very first MK are going to appear...

1. Liu Kang
2. Johnny Cage
3. Sonya Blade
4. Raiden
5. Kano
6. Sub-Zero
7. Scorpion
8. Reptile
9. Goro
10. Shang Tsung

Now this is only a theory. The groupings of these fighters with their respected DC counterpart is to be thought over very well.

Personally I do see Kano going up against Lobo.

there is at least one character on that list that isn't supposed to be there, seeing as kabal has been confirmed for the game... And I like that Nightwing/Kung Lao thing! It could be interesting...