Official What We Know Thread

Patrick McCarron

TRMK Admin, Co-founder
Staff member
STORYLINE

- An "event" happens that causes the DC Universe and the MK Universe to combine into one.
- DC Comics writers Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray are collaborating with the MK team on story lines and dialog.
- Character endings will be "paintings" with a narrative storyline and subtitles.

CHARACTERS

- We are currently expecting to see 20-22 characters, which half of that number from each franchise. Usually will be the most popular from either.

Confirmed characters are:
Mortal Kombat
Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Sonya, Shang Tsung, Liu Kang, Jax, Kitana, Kano, Raiden, Baraka, Shao Kahn
DC Universe
Superman, Batman, The Flash, Catwoman, Captain Marvel (aka Shazam), Joker, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Deathstroke, Lex Luthor, Darkseid

Sub Bosses
Shao Kahn
Dark Seid

Final Boss
Dark Kahn - The combination of Shao Kahn and Dark Seid

GAMEPLAY

- No weapons
- No fighting styles
- Online Fighting Modes

- Fatalities!
Mortal Kombat and DC Villains will be able to perform fatalities. DC Heroes will not have fatalities but some type of "big finish" at the end of a victory.
Developers are shooting for 2 per character.
(Glowing Eyes) - Indicates "Rage" is taking over the player and causing them to do something they normally won't be doing.

New Features:
- Klose Kombat
A new close-quarters fighting system that causes the camera to zoom-in tight on both characters. The player who instigates this mode becomes the aggressor and is on offense. The other player is considered on defense and will be able to block and counter attacks. Includes character specific special attacks in this mode.

- Freefall Kombat
During transitions between areas in the arena, players can fight and land blows in the air while falling. There is incentive for the player to be on top of the opponent before they hit the ground as the player underneath receives a substantial damage hit when landed on. Includes character specific special moves in this mode.

- "Pro Moves" (tentative name)
During a special move, a certain button and joystick combination will allow a secondary attack for the more skilled players.

- "Test your might" (mid-fight minigame)
Certain levels will contain "button mashing" minigames that will increase the damage factor to your opponent. For example, in the Metropolis stage, you can back your opponent onto the wall of a building, which enables the "Test your might" sequence. Jamming on the buttons will cause the animation sequence to run the characters through the walls of the building. Depending on how fast you tap the buttons will determine how much damage you inflict on your opponent.

ACHIEVEMENTS

View Achievements Here For Now

ENGINE

- Uses Unreal Engine 3
- Each character has 20,000+ polygons
- 60 Frames Per Second
- Character Damage
- Torn clothing

ETC

- Special "Kollectors" edition will feature a limited edition comic book, written by the MK Team and illustrated by none other than Mortal Kombat co-creator John Tobias.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feel free to reply with what I have missed, and mod staff feel free to edit directly. This I imagine will grow over time as more on the game develops.

I notice you've said torn clothing. Now, if that doesn't work in with character damage, then I'd also like to remind that in the GameTrailers interview he exclaimed things like "shattering masks" and stuff. So if that goes in with character dmg then just ignore it.

I don't think the absence of fatalities is set in stone quite yet. Ed has only used the word "probably" with his talk of no fatalities and the T rating. There's still the very slim outside chance that we'll see them or even get an M rating.

I don't think the absence of fatalities is set in stone quite yet. Ed has only used the word "probably" with his talk of no fatalities and the T rating. There's still the very slim outside chance that we'll see them or even get an M rating.

I sure hope this paragraph of a statement comes out in favor of the M rating and Fatalities.

You guys think there will be 2 fatalities each? I hope so. I might get tired of seeing Toasty all the time. Also! We want the CPU to do fatalities too! Not just a strong punch or something.

You guys think there will be 2 fatalities each? I hope so. I might get tired of seeing Toasty all the time. Also! We want the CPU to do fatalities too! Not just a strong punch or something.

Yeah that Fatality got old after UMK3, then MK4 made it funny and now its just old.

Hopefully 2 fats each, maybe bring back Friendships too :)

What do you mean "All the time"? We havn't seen a proper TOASTY since MK4. He had it in MK1, 2, 3, and 4. Then they thought the same thing you did. And we didn't see a hint of TOASTY at all in MKDA, MKD, or MKA. We saw a version of it in MKSM but come on, that doesn't count. What I saw in the trailer looked terrific and it's time for TOASTY to make a return.

What do you mean "All the time"? We havn't seen a proper TOASTY since MK4. He had it in MK1, 2, 3, and 4. Then they thought the same thing you did. And we didn't see a hint of TOASTY at all in MKDA, MKD, or MKA. We saw a version of it in MKSM but come on, that doesn't count. What I saw in the trailer looked terrific and it's time for TOASTY to make a return.

True, but I liked his harpoon fatality in MKII so much better. :)

IGN just showed the game on livewire.

- Catwoman is a villan and will have a fatality.
- Each character will only have 1 outfit, but an alt color if you both pick the same character.
- The select screen had 20 slots only.
- DLC may be used for new characters/levels.
- They are trying to give each character more than one fatality/brutality, but time may be against it.
- Boon said flash owns from the DC side and Scorpion owns from the MK side.

Oh yeah, when boon was showing the game for IGN livewire he did say there were 20 characters, a BOSS, and maybe hidden character.

Yep, Sheeva's fatality from MK3. Of course she had more arms and half the MK3 fatalities sucked anyway. They could have done worse, that's all I'll say.

Yep, Sheeva's fatality from MK3. Of course she had more arms and half the MK3 fatalities sucked anyway. They could have done worse, that's all I'll say.

Half?

lol, damn near all of them sucked.

The suckage out weighs the awesome in MK3/UMK3/MKT fatalies for sure.

I miss the best fatalities of MK1 and 2. But MKSM did a great job in mixing old fatalities with new ones. Scorpion's jugular cut was great. I doubt the fatals in this game will be that high quality though because it's T rated.