I've just bought MK3...

I cant really move it now, so I'll let you know the next time I have help to move it (no one else is here right now, and that carpet makes it HARD to move.

I looked more closely at the panel, and it is like a hard cardboard like deal. I was thinking it was stickers, but that is the old MK3 I removed cause it was in terrible shape.

Last edited:
I know man, its UGLY. It came as it. Funny story: There is a dead bug trapped where Motaro is. lol YUCK.

See? hehe
100_1251-1.jpg

Okay your new MK2 control panel, the top of that is a metal plate. It's secured by those metal screws to the wood. So remember that when drilling. I'd drill that first separately and then use it as a template.

Okay your new MK2 control panel, the top of that is a metal plate. It's secured by those metal screws to the wood. So remember that when drilling. I'd drill that first separately and then use it as a template.

So I should seperate all 3 (panel, plate & plexi glass), then drill plate and use it to drill the other 2?

Really? it's quite simple, figured it out all on my own YEARS ago when I played at the arcade. I had to help the arcade replace a few bad buttons. The only thing in the cabinets that I wont touch is the Monitor stuff. VERY dangerous, the rest is simple.

1) Flip control panel so you see the bottom
2) Remove white cherry switch (this is actually what triggers the action, label it with a marker) by pushing out one of the two mount pieces. It has two wires that run to the game board.
3) Unscrew the black plastic nut from the base of the bottom side of the control panel. These shouldn't be too tight, I usually have to hand tighten them in most cases now and then.
4) Button should now slide out of control panel.

To add a new button to the board is harder without a proper harness, I can tell you where to buy those pre-made instead of having you do that part. Will cost about $15 and two new Yellow Buttons will be about $3-5 each. I usually buy some parts from Happ Controls since they are local and I used to work there one summer, but another good place for cheaper and custom made/obscure parts is Bob Roberts He has a more manual way to order stuff. From him you'd need these parts:

Code:
1 Jamma *Plus**Kicks**Extra* harness complete $15
2 Happ Microswitch Pushbuttons Y $1.25 each (sale)
2 Happ Ultimate Joys 8-way $8.00 each (sale)

Are you missing the joysticks too? If so get these parts

Code:
2 Happ Ultimate Joys 8-way Red $8.00 each (sale)
1 Set Replacement Cherry Microswitches .187 tabs 10 for $9

It should be about $8 in shipping, you mail him a check and he turns around and mails you the stuff. Little slow, but it's worth it.

I already have these...

1 of 2 Happ comp sticks

4 of 14 Happ concave buttons (just showing 4 to show you)

Last edited:
The blue lines are the kick harness, there should have been another set of blue wires coming from the wires to the arcade board. Connect these two together to make the kicks and run work.

The blue lines are the kick harness, there should have been another set of blue wires coming from the wires to the arcade board. Connect these two together to make the kicks and run work.

Yeah, they are still connected. I disc. them to remove control panel. But i am gonna have to replace it entirely. But cool. I am gonna work on trying to get those holes drilled this weekend, and somehow get ahold of a kick harness. I am so broke right now, so hopefully it wont take too long. Eh.

THANK YOU Pat. You flippin RULE, bro.

You'll also have to show me how to add ROM hacks to my other MK2 jamma too ;)

Yep, MKII Rv4.2, MKII Rv9.1 & The Immortal Challenger hack :-D:-D:-D

Without looking it up, I believe the upgrades are two chips each. They'll replace their corresponding board chips. Basically use a flathead screwdriver to lift the chip off the board, and replace the old chip with the hacked ROM chip.

I may have to redo some chips on my MK2, so I can take pictures of how to do it for you.

Popped in to check everyones machines out. I got ahold of a MKII machine a few months ago, $300 and the guy even delivered it to my house. It was originally a Double Dragon 3 machine. Once the holidays have passed and I'm allowed to spend money on myself I'll be adding as many parts that are similar to the dedicated MKII machines down to the red leather textured T-molding. Hopefully I can get ahold of a MKII or 3 control panel to fit onto the cabinent, I've seen a few pop up on ebay recently. The side art is probably the last bit I'll ad to it (it currently has the small MK3 art with the MK3 logo cut off) since it's the hardest to find and most expensive.

mkIImachine.jpg

So far I've added a custom bezel and have the joysticks, I'm just waiting to get replacement buttons before I switch them out.

Last edited:
You can get all the authentic parts from HappControls.com including the T-Molding and the Joysticks. I redid all my T-molding on mine after I bought it. It's just a red plastic T-Molding, there is no "texture" to it. Maybe up really close, I can look again, but pretty sure it's just a red smooth plastic.