Are you excited MK8 is getting a fresh start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good grief you people have written a novel! Ever heard of short but sweet? Everybody has differing opinions on which MK is better and it's been debated to DEATH. I like MKII for it's style and characters, I like MK3's story but not it's characters nor it's combo system (possibly b/c I suck at it), I like the 3-D MKs for their fighting system, artstyle, and...not much else. I think a reinvention is exactly what the series needs but it needs to be a balance of what you've mentioned above.

1. Bring the series back to it's roots, give it that good old HP, LP, HK, LK system but UPDATED. The combos are great but it's the major complaint I here from non-fans. Make it more intuitive. Alot of people are put off by MK's combos which require tedious effort and practice to learn all the combos which are generally unforgiving in their execution. I like the Soul Calibur system because it gives each character a defined moveset which allows people to put together combos on the fly without having to memorize exact button combination (with exceptions of course). I think something like that could benefit MK. But it's up to the devs. I play MK for it's story more than it's fighting and as long as they keep that alive (after they destroyed it in MKA) I'll be fine.

MoonEye, you just went up a lot in my esteem.
And to be honest, all this 'I love 2D, 3D sucks, I hate everything MK4 onwards' crap is getting boring fast. It's the equivalent of old people not going to see films because there are too many special effects. Hear that? You're the videogame equivalent of old people. The type who won't go see a doctor or eat chinese food because back in the day things were different.
They should make a forum for people who only like MKII, and leave all the real fans alone here.
MKII was physically a not very good game. For the time, it was ok but I remember playing SSFII and even Body Blows Galactic more than that. MK3 was better in almost every respect. Even the storyline was almost non-existant back at MKII, and greatly improved at MK3.

Oh and Tim, there has been no word whether Street Fighter IV is 2D or 3D.

It'll be interesting to see how the franchise is handled. MK vs. Marvel may lead the way to other VS. titles, but starting over in the MK universe means there are a lot of possibilities. 2D, 3D, 2.5D, any of it could be good, it just takes the right approach, and committing to quality after making your decision.

Hopefully we'll see some more news soon.

Hopefully, The MK series will be new, and traditional at the same time. If not, the MK series will become corny, or even a flop!

The most important thing they need to do is make solid gameplay. If anything, it should play nothing like any previous MK game. The inherent problem here is it takes them several full releases to start fleshing out a system, but even in the case of the "3D" MKs, it never happened. They need to hire an independent source for quality fighting game properties because it is abundantly clear they no longer have anyone working for them who truly knows, or is allowed to have input on what the gameplay should be like.

I emphasize the necessity behind the gameplay because there is no regulation, or standard, etc, as to the graphics. They will be good regardless and they know how to do that stuff, they have essentially mastered presentation, but the last and only good quality MK series in terms of gameplay was MK3, UMK3 and MKT. MK3 was a step in the right direction in terms of quality gameplay mixed with presentation. UMK3 added enough to MK3 to consider it a different game, but it also added incompleteness to the game, as in, a lot of what was there already was removed due to hardware limitations, and fans were upset because oh say, bio pics, ending pics, full finishing move list, but regardless, gameplay was complete and UMK3 still rages on as the most successful MK game in terms of competition, 12 years later while even MKA has been all but forgotten.

So I say, focus on gameplay, give the team time to develope something solid, and don't release a game that I will be able to point potentional broken infinites and concepts before it's even released, because I did that with MKA. The fact that I didn't even play the game and I already beta tested it better than the team is sad. I played MKA on my PS2 until UMK3 was released for 360 and I have not touched the game since.

I agree EWA. They need some fresh minds in there who really want to mix up the gameplay in this release. In the end, MKA just seemed stale in comparison.

The team has grown a lot since MKDA when the fighting engine was developed, so maybe those new people will have their say on this engine. Most there I talked to when MKA was coming out seemed to have a lot of great ideas, but many were to be saved for MK8 which was already in development at that point.

I think with the Unreal Engine we'll get some interesting gameplay. It really frees up development to focus on the gameplay and not worry so much about the Engine. The engine will require work, but not too much.

It would be cool to play around with the physics a bit. I've never seen a fighter with proper physics, all the falls and hits are pre-programmed as to how the character will move and how far they will travel. To implement a bit of real-time gravity and rag-doll physics (Which look awesome now that they are being down right) would add a bit of variety to the game. Another thing that would be enjoyable is (as well as a return to 'proper' fatalities) when the 'FINISH HIM' sounds, to be able to switch to your weapon, should we still have weapons, and dismember the loser in real time. I'm thinking like the Extreme Dismemberment cheat in Bloodrayne. Just a couple of things I'd like to see.

I'd like MK8 to be a real new game that draws me in... Not just an "patched version of MK:Arm" because every computer knowledged person knows the defination of an "patch" or an "upgrade" is "take old bugs out put new bugs in".

I think the new engine is Unreal Engine 3. Hardly played any unreals, so don't know what it really means in detail.

This doesnt mean MK8 will be like Unreal Tournament or anything. Heck, Stubbs The Zombie for the 1st Xbox ran on the Halo 2 engine

Yea, just using an Engine doesn't mean gameplay is the same. Although Unreal is usually a shooter engine...that doesn't necessarily mean MK will feel like Gears of War or Unreal 3. Anyway, all I was trying to say is that MK8 can't possibly be "An updated MK:A" because it uses an entirely different engine. They have to build it from scratch no matter what they do, so why would they bother making MK:A again? Besides, Boon assures us it will be totally new.

Why make such a shitty 3-D fighting game again? I swear if its anything like MK:A...........................

Why make such a shitty 3-D fighting game again? I swear if its anything like MK:A...........................

* 2006 Spike TV Video Game Awards: Best Fighting Game. [25]
* 2006 IGN Awards: Best PS2 Fighting Game. [26]
* 2006 Official Xbox Magazine "Xbox Game of the Year"
* Gaming Target - 52 Games We'll Still Be Playing From 2006 selection [27]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat:_Armageddon

Yeah, who wants to see a succesful 3D Mortal Kombat game again?

Meh, it was all hype. MK:A had the gameplay down pat, sure it did, but that's because it was just a(n) (awesome) rehash of the same engine they've done 3 times over. MKDA really set the standard I say, it had almost everything, a really good re-invention of MK. MKD improved on it in almost every way, only thing I personally didn't like in MKD was the roster selection/character design. Unfortunately MKA took 1 step forward 3 steps back. Step forward? Improved fighting (air kombat). Steps back? No signature fatalities, no endings, no bios. (Basically scrapped the whole story element behind each character). It was MK:T all over again. Same engine, old faces, nothing new. MKA deserved the awards it got for it's fighting, it was spot on. But as a GAME on the WHOLE, MKA is a dissapointment.

But I digress. MKA = Shouldn't have tried to push the envelope. MK8 = Gonna be Awesome.

* 2006 Spike TV Video Game Awards: Best Fighting Game. [25]
* 2006 IGN Awards: Best PS2 Fighting Game. [26]
* 2006 Official Xbox Magazine "Xbox Game of the Year"
* Gaming Target - 52 Games We'll Still Be Playing From 2006 selection [27]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat:_Armageddon

Yeah, who wants to see a succesful 3D Mortal Kombat game again?

please dont get "sucess" & popularity confused with things like quality.

Game critics dont know how to play fighting games. IGN & OXM dont care about fighing games, yet alone know anything about them.

3-d MK = poop.

What I mean by an "upgrade" on MK:Arm that MK8 would end up being more or less the same game, but just better graphics (including that game engine) and a few tweaks to improve over MK:Arm. What I want it s game that doesn't resemble anything like MK:arm at all, aside from the MK logo and the fact its a fighting game and has some of the characters in it that have survived.

I don't want to pick up MK:8 and literally think "You know what... I actually liked MK:Deception better then this" again like I did sort of with MK:Arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.