Worst MK release???

Tim Static

Since there are some strong opinions for the best, whats the worst MK release? Worst character? Worst move/combo? Worst finisher? BTW.... Special Forces & the GameBoy MK releases dont count in the worst release category. :)

For me, in the straight series MK has just got better and better with every game, so naturally MK1 is my least favourite. I remember that I was mortified at the lack of Scorpion in MK3, But when I got hold of MKT (I didn't play UMK3 til later) it all went right again. So it's a toss up between 1 and 3 for me.

Well I thinhk MK Gold was a bit fruity, The worst character would probably 70% of the ones in Deadly Alliance and or Deception. Worst Finisher would probably be Quan Chi's neck stretch fatality.

Hmm, MK4, Bo Rai Cho, worst move was the omission of Kitana and Scorpian from MK3, and yeah, the neck stretch tanked, though Fujin's MK4 wind rip looked craptacular.

worst MK release? the MK3's (MK3, UMK3 & Trilogy) Worst character? Pre-DA is Jarek & Post DA are Kobra & Drahmin. Worst move/combo? Ermac's UMK3 combo is uber cheesy and gay. Its so easy it requires no skill or talent! Worst finisher? Liu Kang's uppercut, Cyber-Smoke's End World, Shang Tsung's Spike Slam, Classic S-Z UMK3 fatal and any fatality from MK3, UMK3 or Trilogy that left floating arms. All the Animalities were dumb as hell and helped further ruin the MKA movie.

worst MK release? the MK3's (MK3, UMK3 & Trilogy) Worst character? Pre-DA is Jarek & Post DA are Kobra & Drahmin. Worst move/combo? Ermac's UMK3 combo is uber cheesy and gay. Its so easy it requires no skill or talent! Worst finisher? Liu Kang's uppercut, Cyber-Smoke's End World, Shang Tsung's Spike Slam, Classic S-Z UMK3 fatal and any fatality from MK3, UMK3 or Trilogy that left floating arms. All the Animalities were dumb as hell and helped further ruin the MKA movie.

You have an incredibly warped sense of reality. You made a thread and responded to it yourself 2 days later, spewing the same garbage you did in other threads. Congratulations. I would have banned you from ultimatmk by now, but not before making an example out of you.

I love you Shock. You are the UMK3 master.

I just didnt know what I was talking about when I first got here.

Any chance we can make amends? ;) lol

I love you Shock. You are the UMK3 master.

I just didnt know what I was talking about when I first got here.

Any chance we can make amends? ;) lol

Haha, as you can probably tell I blast people only when they make blatant offenses, we're cool now. I was reading over this thread just now and noticed that Goraka was somehow "mortified" that Scorpion wasn't in MK3. Mortified basically means being embarassed to the point of abnormal lingering anxiety. I don't see how that applies. Perhaps just simply disappointed?

Someone needs to go back to school... Ah! I don't know American school grades. 5th grade? I don't know, but whatever it is, they need to go back and retake it. Or at least get a dictionary. One of those things I should dig up as an aid sometimes... Lol.

Back to the topic of worst MK releases....

The port of UMK3 on the PS2 SE of MK:A is ****ing terrible. As is all MK3 port on the Midway collections too. Yuck.

Lets See

Worst Game: (Edit) MK3, No Scorpion & No Johnny Cage = BAD

Worst Character: Motaro

He was WAY TOO HARD! on MK 3, Even on Novice

Worst Fatality: Liu Kangs Arcade Machine Fatality

Just WTF Was it about?

Last edited:
Lets See

Worst Game: Without a Doubt, Mortal Kombat Special Forces

Worst Character: Motaro

He was WAY TOO HARD! on MK 3, Even on Novice

Worst Fatality: Liu Kangs Arcade Machine Fatality

Just WTF Was it about?

MK: SF doesnt count as a MK game. We disowned it.

Motaro isnt really all that hard.

That Fatality was kinda stupid at first, but over time I learned to enjoy it. However, Nightwolf's friendship was better ;)

I have not played MKD, but I have owned just about every other version at some time. The only ones I have now are MK1 TV games and MK1,2,3,UMK3 roms for variouse systems. and MKA for XBox

Anyway, the worst in my mind is MK3. I first had it for PC WAY back when it first came out. I hated those finishers so MUCH. After the greatness of 1 and 2, they just seemed so lame. I loved the characters and how they looked, but those finishing moved sucked and still do.

Worst game: hmmm, MK3, but UMK3 and Trilogy too.
Worst character: I really don't like Hotaru. Kobra should betterbe in Street Fighter. Mokap it's useless
Worst Fatality: Quan Chi's neck fatality in MK DA. I was disappointed when i saw it.

Edit: I wrote wrong at Worst game. MK3, but not UMK3 and Trilogy too. I say MK3 becuase it's bereft of some characters. Like Johnny Cage or Scorpion for example.

Sorry for my english

Last edited:
Worst MK release?
I so badly want to be defiant and insist on the Game Boy MKs and Special Forces, but if we're ruling them out to begin with... Hmmm.... MK Gold seemed to fall as a 'meh' on everyone's MK radar, but it's still MK4 at its core, so.... I'll go with MK3 - the tone of the game felt different, the beginning of He's-Dead/He's-Alive with Johnny Cage, the completely uninspired Animalities, the 'Mercy' system, the continuation of Friendship / Babalities... Yeah. MK3.

If we're including ports, I think MK Advance is the obvious winner (When you say 'Gameboy MKs', I naturally assume you mean the original Gameboy MK / MK II / MK3 and not GBA) but the Sega Genesis UMK3 is pretty atrocious too.

Worst character?
Stryker, Kai, Kobra, Kira, Fujin and Reiko all seem pretty uninspired.

Worst finisher?
Multi-part tie between Liu's MK1 drop (Amusing the first few times but, come on, Ed - I think MK is fine without meta referencing), Smoke's Bomb-ageddon, Quan Chi's neck stretch, UMK3 Kitana's kiss, Kabal's Dig Dug head pump, MK3 Cyrax's Predator-inspired hara-kiri / Fatality, Sindel's hair wrap 'n spin, UMK3 / MKG Mileena's nail swallow 'n spit... Hell, most of the finishers in MK3 / UMK3 / MKT seem pretty lame all around.

Because Reiko was supposed to be Noob Saibot in MK4. Just like Tanya was supposed to be Kitana and Jerek was supposed to be Kano. Didn't you notice how they're so similar? It wasn't until MKA that Reiko got some good character development. MKA Reiko is a totally different Reiko to me than MK4 Reiko.

Daby:
Tim didn't really specify what he meant by 'worst character' - Worst as in useless in actual kombat? Worst as in plot arch? Something else? I nominated Reiko because, well, what exactly did he add to the MK-verse as a character? "That guy who wore Shao Kahn's helmet"? "That guy who looks like George Clooney in a ninja dogi"? "That ruthless soldier guy that Shao Kahn occasionally admires because he's ruthless, or something"? Just felt like the MK4 team wanted to swap Noob Saibot out for someone new and they were strapped for ideas in a hurry.

I might say the same thing of Baraka, that he's just the Tarkatan poster boy but, circa Deception and Shaolin Monks onward, Midway seems to be making efforts to make Baraka into a credible threat, into something other than "Bald, pointy teeth, blade man." I can't say that of Reiko - hooray, he's a glorified foot soldier.