Is MK2 really better than UMK3

Acid Spit

I would like to know your opinion on two of the greatest fighters of all time. Which game really had the most jawdropping fatality, who and why. Personally Mk has been my life. It goes in this order. MK, food, MK, sleep, MK, work , MK. = Flawless is the way of a ninja.

IMO i think that MK2 is better. its more realistic to me than UMK3. i have them both and would play MK2 first everytime. also, i think Johnny Cage has the baddest one where he rips your torso apart.

Welcome aboard to the both of you. MK2 is the Best in the series, and yeah, MK is pretty addictive at times. Not recently though.

I am also an MKII fan. It was a perfect sequel. Improved in all aspects. It had the best most gruesome fatalities. Also it was the most realistic in my opinion. Now I know MK is NOT a realistic game. But MK was at least believable. MK3 was just plain comical. I don't like that.

MK2 is easily the best game of them all. Perfect amount of characters, plenty to work for and discover, awesome fatalities that didn't have six rib cages on the ground like some fatalities do in MK3, and the better storyline. That game was the top of the mountain, and we're waiting patiently for something to surpass it. Deception got close, but not close enough.

MK3 sucked because everyone had three too many fatalities. The animalities were crap, and should never, ever be included unless you're turning Liu Kang into a dragon. Babalities, and Friendships were lame and MK3 gave birth to Stryker AND Sheeva. Ouch.

UMK3 has the best gameplay and balance of ALL MK games, past and present. There have been many debates about "better than" but it really comes down to what you "like more". In terms of pure gameplay, no, MKII is NOT better than UMK3, and that is a measurably comparable fact.

UMK3 has the best gameplay and balance of ALL MK games, past and present. There have been many debates about "better than" but it really comes down to what you "like more". In terms of pure gameplay, no, MKII is NOT better than UMK3, and that is a measurably comparable fact.

I agree with this for the most part, that said however, mortal kombat II had a darker edge to it and was much more about the gore, violence and atmosphere which is the main reason I have always played mk before other fighters. So i would have to go with mk II for those reasons.

Finally we have a decision. MK2. Thanks to Dorn, Zero, Glamador, Mads and Pastmaster for making it official. And i do agree 100% percent, MK2 does represent a lot of MK mythologies and is also realistic in every way possible (3 ribb cages in UMK3 is not a one person fatality) the soundtrack is also a must have for true MK fans. Thanks for everyones opinion. MK2 is the Ultimate winner.

Personally, and apparently I'm the minority opinion here, but I enjoyed Mortal Kombat Trilogy, the extension of UMK3, far more than MK2. I agree with all of you that MK2 did take it more seriously, and to be honest, that is exactly what I don't like about it. It is a difference of taste. I love Mortal Kombat because it is an intently over-the-top surreal fighting game parody. Or, at least it was as MK3 and MK4. Mortal Kombat Trilogy has a sense of cocky showmanship that takes the over-the-topness to a level that you can only get with cocky sarcasm and never with realism, in my honest opinion. The fatalities were far more flashy in MK3. MK2 fatalities were far bloodier, and I suspect that is why most fans like them more. In MK3 Stryker would jump over, strap on a bomb, jump back, plug his ears, then KABOOOM! In MK3 Smoke would let loose a barrage of bombs, then we see the entire world explode! In MK3 Sektor would bring out a huge claw and completely squish the opponent. In MK2, all you get is people split in half and heads ripped off. There is some sarcasm in the friendships, but nothing to the level of sarcasm of MK3. To me, a gory fatality is awesome, but a comical, gory, sarcastic one with showmanship if priceless. MK3 is the latter. MK3 also had far better digitizing of kombatants and arenas. I am not talking about style here, just technicals. The style, just like style in anything, can be debated endlessly. What I am talking about is technically the kombatants and arenas were clearer and had better frame rates. Also, personally, I like the style better too. More surreal, again. More showmanship. The storyline was also more expansive. MK2 was very, in my opinion too, simplistic with its storyline. MK3 is what broadened it and made it more accessible as a true mythology and not just a short story. MK3 is what started the story being more archetypal and legendary, and not simply like old karate movies which is as creative as MK1 and MK2 got with the story. I like UMK3 far better than MK3 and MKT far better than UMK3. MK3 was, unfortunately, still trying too hard for real and not surreal. UMK3, with its new backgrounds and larger story, really brought MK into being surreal. MKT, for me at least, gave it a sense of completeness. Why have every kombatant in the 2D series and leave out five? Raiden, Baraka, Goro, Johnny Cage, and Kintaro. Also, the four alternate kombatants gave the series a sense of completeness as well; as well as a glimpse into the nostalgic past; as did revitalizing the arenas from MK1 and MK2. I am far more a fan of MK3 than MK2. And my favorite version of MK3 is MKT. I prefer it for a more legendary story, better graphics, surreal atmosphere, and better showmanship in fatalities. And I prefer MKT for having all of this plus completeness and nostalgia. MKT is the best 2D MK, and I am talking the non N64 versions. MKT rocks, and that is my take on it all!

Last edited:
It will become abundantly clear once MKII is on PS3 how lame of a game it actually is. There are lot of people I know who will try it and be disappointed, because UMK3 is that much more of a game, which they already play.

It will become abundantly clear once MKII is on PS3 how lame of a game it actually is. There are lot of people I know who will try it and be disappointed, because UMK3 is that much more of a game, which they already play.

People already stand on one side of the spectrum, or on both like myself. I don't think that MKII online is going to change any opinions since "high level" play in the game won't be common. Heck, it was hard enough to find decent players on a typical day on XBLA.

It'll be scrub city for the most part, which bodes well for me since I haven't play VS. matches in MKII since 1996. Let's just hope that the infrastructure is comparable to XBLA's quality wise.

Quite possibly but doom is one of the best games ever made, how many people actually play original doom nowadays. All games should be judged on time of release, not so much on current playability as the technology changes and games become dated.

Ok! Here's my decision:

I like MK2 because of the storyline and how the takes place at. Plus it has the dark feeling that any other MK games don't quite got (except for MK4 and MKD although not alot) with the agony and gore, like the other users posted above.

What they should've done for the PS3, X-Box 360 and Wii is instead of selling just one old game for a new system, put the first 4 MK games into one disc and sell it.

actually in my opinion both re equal because mk2 is better because character designing is better game play is better no annoying fatality but mk2 was slow game play now where umk3is fast game play and easy to performing combos more character.

I believe UMK3 (and MK3 for that matter) are highly underrated and under-appreciated. Aside from the "alities" (unnecessary or otherwise), the gameplay in UMK3 was fast and a lot more offensive than in MK or MKII. The combo system was not revolutionary, but it allowed for good balance between the "skilled" fighter and the button masher.

I will agree with others, however, when they say that MKII was more "serious". MKII and MK:Deception are the most polished versions (2D or 3D) in the entire series, IMO.

I know you want to express your opinion Tim Static, but for future references, don't double or triple post again.

But I do agree with everyone else saying MK2, MK4/MKG and MK: Deception being the most polished games in the series.