The MLB Playoffs

El Chupacabra

Yeah yeah. The NFL season has started, College Football is underway, the NHL is locked out (who cares), and the NBA is a few months away ... but the sports event you should be paying attention to is the Major League Baseball Playoffs.

I don't think the MLB season could have been any better than it was this year. Fan response was high and baseball is once again climbing up in popularity. Why shouldn't it be? Major blockbuster trades like A-Rod to the Yankees, rumors of Randy Johnson also being traded, intense rivalries, amazing records such as Ichiro Suzuki's, Barry Bonds and Ken Griffey both getting milestone homerun #'s (700/500), and now an action packed playoff.

For you baseball fans: This thread is about the season and current playoffs. Who do you think's gonna win? Who's not? Who's better? Who's cursed? Thats what we are here to debate.

Have fun and post away.

I think the Cardinals are going to win it this year. They have been doing great all season (almost record high winning season score), and they've won the first game in the playoffs, which means they haven't lost their touch.

The Yankees are doing great too, but we saw them get slaughtered by the worst team in baseball before. They have great games and not-so great games, and they are doing average in the playoffs (1/1).

I think we'll see a Worlds Series match between the Astros and Cardinals, and the outcome will be the Cardinals if they played good.

Go Marlins in 2005! ;)

Wow. WHAT A GAME between the Twins and Yankees. It doesn't get any better being at Yankee stadium, down 1 run in the 12 inning, and having the bases loaded.

You can't say that not taking out Nathan was a bad call. He pitched a hell of a game and due to the lack of warming up other pitchers, it was hard to just yank him out. It really didn't matter who was pitching in that game with Hideki Matsui bound to hit with men on 2nd AND 3rd ... the guy is just pure clutch. I can't recall how many times Matsui has pulled the Yankees out of some losses with his clutch hitting. He is a power hitter but also a smart hitter. He tends not to chase bad hits and he is very hard to Strikeout. I think these japenese guys just have another level of thinking, through meditation ... as they ALWAYS connect with the ball. Ichiro is the same way.

I called the Yankees before this series with some confidence, but watching this game shook me up some. Had they lost, they would have gone out. They were not going to beat the Twins 3 straight. But, hard to count the guys out as they are a come-from-behind team ... as they just did in this game (although they did blow the lead). Yankees take the next 2 and repeat the 3-1 victory like they had last season.

Angels/Red Sox - This should be a pretty dynamite series. High scoring. Shilling's about the only safe bet you can make to hold a team to less than 3-4 runs. Pedro just hasn't had his A-Game the last few weeks of the season. I've watched a few games towards the end with him pitching and it just wasn't his best. I think the Angels will make this series tough, and do have a shot at winning it, but I think the Red Sox better all around pitching and powerful line up will pull them through to meet the Yankees in the ALCS.

Braves/Rockets - Well. As always Braves have arrived in the post season. As always they will go out in the first series they play. Although the Braves have been playing well and have pretty good/suprising starting pitching ... they are against a team that IS NOT losing right now and WILL NOT lose - the Houston Astros. No one is gonna stop this freight train in the NL. I think the Cardinals were lucky not to play them in one round because the Astros just seem to have their number ...

Cardinals/Dodgers - Disapointed San Fran didn't make it. Oh well. They wouldn't fair any better against the base team this season - the Cards. Cardinals have sorta been playing sleeper-baseball the latter end of the season but game 1 was impressive. If they keep that style of play up for the playoffs, they won't lose - to anyone - but if that was just a big 1 game and they don't post up 7-9 runs a game, then look for the Astros to give them some trouble in round 2. Dodgers won't. They have nothing to stop the red chubby birds.

I call Yankees over Sox in 7.
I call Astros over Cardinals in 7. (Although I may change this to the Cards based on how they perform tomorrow).

World Series? Wow. I'm rooting for the Yankees to win but it's hard to make a call against the Cardinals or superhot Astros. I want to bet against the Astros but the way baseball pans out - the HOT team wins the World Series. Not the best.

If it's Yanks/Astros I will say Yankees.
If it's Yanks/Cards I will say Cardinals. I guess. I will make a better call when it arrives ... assuming these are the teams at all. Watch it be like Braves/Twins and everyone falls asleep.

Anyway. Interesting ride. Thanks for reading this long post. I'm known to make them.

I absolutely hate the Yankees, they are my least favorite team in any professional sport, although i do like A-Rod and have since he was a Mariner(Mariners being my favorite team), but i think the cardinals will win it all, and i think the twins have a great chance, especially when Johan Santana pitches, hes unstoppable.

but my World Series prediction is The Twins or Boston against the Cards, with the Cardinals winning it all.

Kryptonite said:
I think we'll see a Worlds Series match between the Astros and Cardinals, and the outcome will be the Cardinals if they played good.

The Astros and Cardinals are in the same league and therefore cannot meet in the World Series.... moron

Anyway, the Houston Astros will destroy all.... go Astros!!

I'm not going to write a Chupacabran-esque post (lengthwise) on my picks for this year.. but Red Sox over the Cards in 6. GG.

"Who's your Daddy?"

Thats all Pedro heard tonight in Yankee Stadium. I was laughing in the 6th inning after he gave up the bomb to Olerud. You could tell on his face, during the massive "Who's your Daddy" chants to different sports arena theme music, that he VERY MUCH regretted saying that stupid line.

Thing is, he pitched a very solid game. Unfortuate for the Bo-SoX that Lieber pitched an even better game ... and a guy named Rivera lurks in the 8/9th.

Very good two games though. I got nervous in game 1. The clutch-hitter himself, Hideki Matsui, dominted that game ... all except his botched field attempt late in the game to give up 2 runs. The hit before that to left field was uncatchable. That one, however, was not.

Red Sox better pray that Bronson (...Brandon right FOX?) can bail them out in Fenway ... if he doesn't, bring out the brooms.

Cardinals/Houston game was action packed. I had the Yankees on most of the time but flipped between. I will say Berkman CRUSHED that bomb. I mean he sent that thing into orbit. Thats gonna be a high octane series though. Cards should win.

DUDUDUDUDU - "Who's your daddy?" - DUDUDUDUDU - "Who's Your Daddy?" - DUDUDUDUDUD - "Who's your daddy?" - DUDUDUDUDU -

Yea.. only Yankee fans can take a corny catch phrase and make it even worse, and I'm not talking about just for Pedro. I could literally see my wit cringing when those smiling yankee fans did nothing but chant the phrase over and over, thus proving that the only good thing to ever come from New York was our very own raidenfighter, and I'm not sure about even that.