Shang Tsung or Quan Chi: Who's the better Sorceror?

Who is the better sorceror?

• Total voters
quan chi is more like a necromancer than a sorcerer. he can summon skeletons, throw fire skulls an do more things.
i personally like shang tsung more, and i think hes stronger.

When it comes to fighting skills Quan Chi is definetly better.
But since we are talking about magic & who's the better sorceror, from my perspective it's hard to say. First of all just like the user above me said, Quan Chi is a necromancer not a sorceror. It's still magic but it's something totally different. 2nd, Quan Chi dosen't need souls to live forever. Unlike Shang Tsung who would age & die without them.
In a battle between these two my money is on Quan Chi nontheless.

Personally speaking I like Quan Chi more. I think he is better.

Last edited:
I believe Quan Chi is a better sorcerer, since he has a darker personality than Shang, and for me, sorcerer need to be dark! Since he also has very cool magics, I believe he is a better sorcerer than Tsung.

Shang tsung was the original ass hole plus he can shapeshift. That's why he's better. My logic is flawless. I like Quanchi aswell, but there's no substitute for Shang tsung

I would take his stomp over shangs morphing
I'll take Shangs morph, and oh wait I'll morph in to Qchi and take his stomp as well OMG!!

Last edited:
Quan Chi all day! His appearance is much more unique and twisted, I would take his stomp over shangs morphing, I like the cool green skulls better than the fire balls, and Quan Chi's past deeds are way more devious; he is more manipulative than Shang Tsung based on each of their back stories. Oh and Shang got owned by Quan in a head up confrontation!

Also let's not forget that it was Quan Chi who made Shang Tsung's dream of killing Liu Kang a reality. If he didn't interfere in the match between Liu & Shang from the beggining of DA then Shang would've got his ass kicked by Liu Kang again.

Also let's not forget that it was Quan Chi who made Shang Tsung's dream of killing Liu Kang a reality. If he didn't interfere in the match between Liu & Shang from the beggining of DA then Shang would've got his ass kicked by Liu Kang again.

Yes, and also lets not forget Quan chi couldn't have resurected the Dragon kings undefeatable army with out Shang tsung.
The question was who's the better sorceror.
And keep in mind Quan chi also relies heavily on an external means of power, the amulet, without which he's most likely a pushover.

Quan Chi is much more badass then shang tsung, but shang tsung probably has more skill in kombat even tho he got his ass beat in MKD intro lol. Shang tsung looked pretty kool in that intro amd is probably the better sorceror, because without that thing on Quan Chi i think he is nothing

This thread has been an interesting read. It's a pretty tough call for me on this one. Considering only their sorcerous powers, I would say Shang Tsung is the more accomplished sorcerer. Yes, his soul stealing ability is also his means of metaphysical sustenance so it could be seen as a weakness I suppose, but I mean, when is he going to run out of souls? Never. It’s implicit I think that he can only take someone’s soul once he has defeated them in kombat or they’re severely weakened, so his next recharge would depend on his fighting prowess.

As I understand it, Shang Tsung is a human mortal who achieved his longevity by learning to take souls from Shao Kahn. I’m interested to know whether anyone here is so certain about Quan Chi’s nature/origin. Is he human too? Has it been established anywhere in the story that he is immortal? He states in Baraka’s ending for MK4Gold that he is “already dead” and therefore can’t die (though I’m not sure how canon that statement is). So does this mean he is a spectre like Scorpion?

One other thing – I can’t pretend that aesthetics don’t influence my decision. I have only liked 2 of Shang Tsung’s iterations. The frail seeming old man of MK1 and his appearance in MK3. I HATE they way he looks from MK:DA onward, whereas I think Quan Chi’s designs have been consistently cool.

Agreed! Hail Quan Chi!

I think there are different types of sorcery. The sorcery made with hands, as Shang Tsung's, and the sorcery made with magical objects, as Quan Chi's. They are different types of sorcerers and this make it more diffucult to judge and choose one that is better. So let's see what are their special skills to judge.
Shang Tsung can:
- Steal souls
- Morph
- Shot fireballs
- Teleport
Well, I hope I haven't forgotten anything about him.
Quan Chi can:
- Shot skulls
- Make skull walls (proven in MKD intro)
- Teleport
- Summon skeletons
- Ressurect and take life from people (MKDA ending and I guess it was him who ressurected Sindel :p )
I hope I haven't forgotten anything about him either.
So let's see... About sorcery, the powers are different (Only teleport is common) and this makes it get harder to see who's better IMO.
But I do believe Quan Chi is a better sorcerer, because:
- He's smarter. He manipulated the (jester) Elder God Shinnok, he stole his medallion (which made him become a true sorcerer) and he also made Liu Kang's death be possible, as my lovely dear MK_Scorpion said :love:. He also kicked Shang Tsung's ass in the MKD ending, proving he was smater than him, not only stronger.
- Quan Chi has a better desing. He's darker, just like the way a sorcerer should be, while Shang Tsung... Well... Let's compare:
Quan Chi, looking like Kratos with the white skin, bald head and so many red tatoos :laugh: But, yet, looking badass as he's always been.
1539898-quanchi_bio_middle.png

Now Shang Tsung, With his best desing (Thank God I was fair and didn't use the GAY alternate costume from MKDA)
shang_tsung_final.jpg

This is the picture which Shang Tsung looks more like a sorcerer than like a fag. But see, Quan Chi's desgins were ALL badass. Shang Tsung looked like a sorcerer only in TWO designs. MK1 and MKSM were the only games he had this design. Shang, however, looked good in the MK movie.
-Quan Chi has a darker personality and, being a Netherrealm sorcerer, he IS darker and more BADASS than Shang. This is a truth IMO.

Sorry for such a long post! :oops:

Quan Chi is a necromancer. That's why he is so pale looking & has a darker personality then Shang Tsung. This is tipical to all necronacers.
Shang Tsung is a sorcerer. It's hard to make a comparison between these two since they use different tipes of sorcery. But nice review my dear.

Quan Chi is a necromancer. That's why he is so pale looking & has a darker personality then Shang Tsung. This is tipical to all necronacers.
Shang Tsung is a sorcerer. It's hard to make a comparison between these two since they use different tipes of sorcery. But nice review my dear.

Ah :p So they really ARE different types of sorcerers XD Thank you honey!

quan chi!!!!!!!!!!! shang tsung has been nothing but fail (like someone posted earlier) quan chi gets things done. shang tsung tries and tries to kill lui kang over and over again and keeps failing. as soon as quan chis there bam! lui kangs dead. quan chi DOESNT NEED to morph (i know he cant) to other people to win. he can win by himself with his own abilities. it wouldnt matter wether shang morphs into scorpion, goro, or whoever, or even quan chi himself, quan chi would beat whoever shang tsung is. quan chi's powers more than make up for a soul steal and a morph. and well quan chi is just cooler. (MY FAVORITE MK CHARACTER!!!!!)

quan chi!!!!!!!!!!! shang tsung has been nothing but fail (like someone posted earlier) quan chi gets things done. shang tsung tries and tries to kill lui kang over and over again and keeps failing. as soon as quan chis there bam! lui kangs dead. quan chi DOESNT NEED to morph (i know he cant) to other people to win. he can win by himself with his own abilities. it wouldnt matter wether shang morphs into scorpion, goro, or whoever, or even quan chi himself, quan chi would beat whoever shang tsung is. quan chi's powers more than make up for a soul steal and a morph. and well quan chi is just cooler. (MY FAVORITE MK CHARACTER!!!!!)

Very strong point. I agree 100%. Quan Chi FTW!

I think there are different types of sorcery. The sorcery made with hands, as Shang Tsung's, and the sorcery made with magical objects, as Quan Chi's. They are different types of sorcerers and this make it more diffucult to judge and choose one that is better. So let's see what are their special skills to judge.
Shang Tsung can:
- Steal souls
- Morph
- Shot fireballs
- Teleport
Well, I hope I haven't forgotten anything about him.
Quan Chi can:
- Shot skulls
- Make skull walls (proven in MKD intro)
- Teleport
- Summon skeletons
- Ressurect and take life from people (MKDA ending and I guess it was him who ressurected Sindel :p )
I hope I haven't forgotten anything about him either.
So let's see... About sorcery, the powers are different (Only teleport is common) and this makes it get harder to see who's better IMO.
But I do believe Quan Chi is a better sorcerer, because:

quan chi also has that power where he steals the other persons weapon out of their hands. he like commands it with his hands. hes like a freakin jedi of mk.
oh and not that its really a necromancer thing, but he also does that slide move.

Last edited:
Alright,

how bad was the can of stomp-ass that Tsung handed players in MK2? It was borderline unholy...

Quan Chi was pretty easy in MK4...

But raw strength belongs to Quan Chi, and the brains belong to Shang Tsung.

I believe Quan Chi is a better sorcerer, since he has a darker personality than Shang, and for me, sorcerer need to be dark! Since he also has very cool magics, I believe he is a better sorcerer than Tsung.

ima have to disagree with that,quan chi is a beast,but shang steals souls shoots soul,morphs into other characters with all their abilitys,create wicked mutations,bring dead queens back to life and is the one responsible for earthrealm in the state its in now

i always found quan-chi as a guy i love to hate. he's so manipulative and he's the center of my favorite rivalry (sub-zero vs scorpion)

ima have to disagree with that,quan chi is a beast,but shang steals souls shoots soul,morphs into other characters with all their abilitys,create wicked mutations,bring dead queens back to life and is the one responsible for earthrealm in the state its in now

I do believe Tsung has a great potential. But IMO Quan Chi could have made much worse things if he was in Shang's place.

quan chi also has that power where he steals the other persons weapon out of their hands. he like commands it with his hands. hes like a freakin jedi of mk.
oh and not that its really a necromancer thing, but he also does that slide move.

Oh hell yeah. I forgot that he had this weapon stealing thing in mk4. And the slide. Uh! Add it to the list :laugh: