Shang Tsung or Quan Chi: Who's the better Sorceror?

Who is the better sorceror?

• Total voters
What does it matter what he's like in MKA? This is a lore discussion. Gameplay doesn't even come into question as far as I'm concerned. Besides, have you ever played any game other than MKA? Tsung's been a boss, sub-boss, and all around powerhouse in prior games. Plus I don't think he's so bad in MKA.

What does it matter what he's like in MKA? This is a lore discussion. Gameplay doesn't even come into question as far as I'm concerned. Besides, have you ever played any game other than MKA? Tsung's been a boss, sub-boss, and all around powerhouse in prior games. Plus I don't think he's so bad in MKA.

I like Shang Tsung a lot too but he is one of the low tiers in the game along with Kai.

Way to revive an old ass topic.

Shang Tsung > Quan Chi. Shang has much more personality, and whooped ass for 9 straight Mortal Kombats.

Normally, I'd yell at you for such an old topic bump. But it's MY old topic, so I'm O.K. with it. Shang will always be better as far as I'm concerned. He's just gotten really unlucky that's all.

If by unlucky you mean running into the Quan.Quan Chi for you and me, everytime those douchers meet up Quan Chi knocks Shang's textbook on 'How to turn people into chickens' on the ground and punches him in the face until he cries and soils him garments.Quan Chi-Respectfully.

Quan Chi hands down.

Shang Tsung is great, but he's more like Tanya, "evil because I have to be." Quan Chi is evil by nature. You'll never catch him aligning with his enemies, plus he kicked Quan Chi's ass in Deception.

Also, Quan Chi is highly skilled necromancy as well as sorcery. His "flying skull" may look like crap, buy if you were to rewatch the MKDA intro, Shang Tsung got his ass kicked, and Quan Chi took Liu Kang down with one blow. Without it, Shang Tsung would not have killed Liu Kang.

Best of all, Quan Chi is independent. While Shang Tsung has pledged his soul to Shao Kahn and served him for centuries, Quan Chi spent centuries having Shinnok believe he was loyal. Quan Chi doesn't need anyone to be powerful, like the soul-stealing Shang Tsung. He is powerful on his own, never forming alliances, only false promises.

He's my favorite MK character anyway,so...

Last edited:
There are a lot of parallels between them actually. You say Shang Tsung pledged his soul...when did that happen? And I maintain that the only reason Quan Chi defeated Tsung in the Deception intro was because Tsung had just had the crap kicked outta him by Raiden, then drained all his energy taking Raiden DOWN.

Plus I've already admitted that I believe Quan Chi to be the stronger fighter. But I made this topic to discuss who was a more powerful SORCERER. Shang Tsung drains souls, mimics other people perfectly, opens portals, and if you notice he can summon skulls fireballs too. THREE of 'em.

What magic has Quan Chi been observed using? Bone walls, a skull fireball, opening portals, and what? What else? You say he practices necromancy? If so then why couldn't he revive the dragon king's army without Shang Tsung?

Plus, you'll notice that Shang Tsung pulled the exact same trick Quan Chi did against Shinnok when they together killed Shao Kahn's doppelganger.

In the MKArmageddon bio, Shang Tsung states that his soul went straight to Shao Kahn when he died, because of his pledge.

Also, with Shang's betrayal of Shao Kahn, it's not as if he was aiming to do that for a long time, like Quan Chi was with Shinnok. Shang Tsung only did it because he had help. Also, it's cool that he can steal souls, but without it he's nothing. He needs those souls to survive. Quan Chi can live without being parasitic. Also, Shang Tsung shoots out three skulls because that's how much he needs to take someone down. Quan Chi only needs one.

Shang Tsung does more because he needs more. Quan Chi can rid folks with very little effort, because he's that powerful.

I'll grant you all of Quan Chi's moves are more powerful. But have you considered that's all the amulet's doing? In MKSM before he had the amluet he had none of the moves we know him for from MK4.

Also, I continue to consider MKA non-canon. There haven't been any follow ups to it and let's all be honest, MKA's story was an atrocity.

Yeah Quan Chi... Reallly great power than Shang Tsung... I don't like Shang tsung way for getting more power, He steal soul of human...that slick, that prove that he don't have any power without soul of humans...

I'm going to have to make a quick point about the first post in this topic being about how the people at TRMK are more mature and more educated than those at the Midway boards, and yet most of the posts have been. "I like tang stung betr, he shots fire!" "nu, quan chi is betr fiter, he kills u ded."

This is mostly the first page I'm laughing at, but a few posts on the second are the same. Glamador, need I remind you that your own question was who is the better sorcerer, and that will clearly go to Shang Tsung (as you yourself pointed out)

Consider it like this, Shang Tsung is the book smart kid who gets straight a's in school and can probably lecture to his teachers, but that's all he is. Nobody likes him, nobody listens to him, because they know he can't do much else besides solve every single equation thrown at him. Quan Chi is the clever kid who can manipulate/beat up everybody into doing what he wants. He's not an idiot, he's smart enough to know how to manipulate people and beat them up, and probably even does pretty well in school on his own. He's not as smart as the other kid, but he's a lot more feared and respected.

It's true, nobody respects Shang Tsung. Shao Kahn treats him like a toe rag, he's always getting beat by Liu Kang, and the only major accomplishment he has to his name is winning the Mortal Kombat tournament before Liu Kang got in the fray.

As opposed to Quan Chi who has his own league of netherworld assassins, an amulet which grants him immense power, and a place at the side of the most powerful enemy in the MK franchise, Shinnok. But wait! All those qualities are stolen, borrowed, and riding entirely on his remaining affiliated with other parties. Quan Chi has not done ONE THING on his own in the entire MK franchise. So yea, I'd say the manipulative bully persona fits him. But deep down, aren't all bullies kinda pathetic? After all, it's the nerds that get to be CEO later in life.

Shang Tsung can steal souls and shapeshift, good for him. But he did not make himself younger that was Shao Kahn (read the MKII comic book) and the only reason he steals souls is because of a curse and it's necessary to sustain his life - it's a weakness not a strength. Quan Chi opened a portal to the Heavens so Tsung wouldn't be a vertiable junkie vampire and could retain some dignity. Quan Chi can travel the realms undetected by the Elder gods (as per MKM: SZ), something that if Tsung could do, Kahn would have taken Earthrealm years ago. Also Quan Chi had the balls to steal the Amulet from Shinnok and the ability to keep it hidden from him during the events of MKM: SZ, MKI, MKII, MK3 and MK4 where he used it to destroy the fallen Elder god. Don't forget Tsung was altogether 3 times unsuccessful in taking Earthrealm. The only way Kahn was able to finally invade was by resurrecting Sindel and that was only possible, in the end, because of Quan Chi (MKM: SZ). As for his ability as a sorcerer Quan Chi's fighting prowess (which was enough to kick Tsung's ass in MKD) comes solely from his deep understanding of sorcery (MKDA Konquest). Not to mention the words that came directly from John Vogel's mouth, "Quan Chi is the oldest and most powerful sorcerer." I rest my case.

I'll grant you all of Quan Chi's moves are more powerful. But have you considered that's all the amulet's doing? In MKSM before he had the amluet he had none of the moves we know him for from MK4.

Also, I continue to consider MKA non-canon. There haven't been any follow ups to it and let's all be honest, MKA's story was an atrocity.

I couldn't agree more that MKA''s story wass an atrocity. I know it's taboo to say, but MK9's story is shaping up to be even worse IMO. Don't forget that before Quan Chi had the Amulet he freed Shinnok from the Prison of Souls and helped him defeat Lucifer after a centuries-long war. That has to count for something.

There are a lot of parallels between them actually. You say Shang Tsung pledged his soul...when did that happen? And I maintain that the only reason Quan Chi defeated Tsung in the Deception intro was because Tsung had just had the crap kicked outta him by Raiden, then drained all his energy taking Raiden DOWN.

Plus I've already admitted that I believe Quan Chi to be the stronger fighter. But I made this topic to discuss who was a more powerful SORCERER. Shang Tsung drains souls, mimics other people perfectly, opens portals, and if you notice he can summon skulls fireballs too. THREE of 'em.

What magic has Quan Chi been observed using? Bone walls, a skull fireball, opening portals, and what? What else? You say he practices necromancy? If so then why couldn't he revive the dragon king's army without Shang Tsung?

Plus, you'll notice that Shang Tsung pulled the exact same trick Quan Chi did against Shinnok when they together killed Shao Kahn's doppelganger.
It said is his MKA bio (which you'll have to find online):
Long ago I had pledged my soul to the emperor. That pledge was binding even beyond death. But if he were to die, so too would those who served him. At the time I believed it to be merely another empty vow, yet here I am. My soul has returned from beyond to rejoin Shao Kahn.
As for Quan Chi's sorcery, see my other post(s).

Way to revive an old ass topic.

Shang Tsung > Quan Chi. Shang has much more personality, and whooped ass for 9 straight Mortal Kombats.

He wooped ass for (presumably) 9 straight Mortal Kombats until the Great Kung Lao arrived. Since then, about 500 years, he's been getting his ass whooped in some form or fashion by pretty much everybody he fights. Personality? Really? Wtf does that have to do with... anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
shang tsung. no doubt about it. he is every thing that you would think a sorcerer would be. evil, maniacal, calculating, and treacherous. not to mention the guy is just plain persistent. how many times has he lost and keeps on trying to wrest earthrealm from the forces of good. in my opinion shang tsung will always be mortal kombats true villan. quan chi is a newcomer compared to ol' shang. and he wears sissy make up. Shang Tsung FTW

hmmm, lets see, a sorcerer who can morph into anyone,,or an emo goth? sorry but it has to be shang, i cant take emo goth quan cheese cake serious he looks like something out of the addams family, hmm maybe he actually is related to uncle fester!! never really thought about it :/

Better special move - Well, Quan Chi has his Necromantic skull fireball which eats at his opponent then goes away. Shang Tsung also has skull fireballs but he can summon more than one. Quan Chi wins.

Better signature move - Shang Tsung wins here because he takes peoples souls! Quan Chi just summons green skeletons and stuff.

Better Fatality - Shang Tsung wins because like I said he TAKES SOULS. Quan Chi does have gruesome bad-*ss Fatalities though. Stretching necks and killing people with their own leg.

I would go on but I got bored.

Shang Tsung can steal souls and shapeshift, good for him. But he did not make himself younger that was Shao Kahn (read the MKII comic book) and the only reason he steals souls is because of a curse and it's necessary to sustain his life - it's a weakness not a strength. Quan Chi opened a portal to the Heavens so Tsung wouldn't be a vertiable junkie vampire and could retain some dignity. Quan Chi can travel the realms undetected by the Elder gods (as per MKM: SZ), something that if Tsung could do, Kahn would have taken Earthrealm years ago. Also Quan Chi had the balls to steal the Amulet from Shinnok and the ability to keep it hidden from him during the events of MKM: SZ, MKI, MKII, MK3 and MK4 where he used it to destroy the fallen Elder god. Don't forget Tsung was altogether 3 times unsuccessful in taking Earthrealm. The only way Kahn was able to finally invade was by resurrecting Sindel and that was only possible, in the end, because of Quan Chi (MKM: SZ). As for his ability as a sorcerer Quan Chi's fighting prowess (which was enough to kick Tsung's ass in MKD) comes solely from his deep understanding of sorcery (MKDA Konquest). Not to mention the words that came directly from John Vogel's mouth, "Quan Chi is the oldest and most powerful sorcerer." I rest my case.

I couldn't agree more that MKA''s story wass an atrocity. I know it's taboo to say, but MK9's story is shaping up to be even worse IMO. Don't forget that before Quan Chi had the Amulet he freed Shinnok from the Prison of Souls and helped him defeat Lucifer after a centuries-long war. That has to count for something.

It said is his MKA bio (which you'll have to find online):
Long ago I had pledged my soul to the emperor. That pledge was binding even beyond death. But if he were to die, so too would those who served him. At the time I believed it to be merely another empty vow, yet here I am. My soul has returned from beyond to rejoin Shao Kahn.
As for Quan Chi's sorcery, see my other post(s).

He wooped ass for (presumably) 9 straight Mortal Kombats until the Great Kung Lao arrived. Since then, about 500 years, he's been getting his ass whooped in some form or fashion by pretty much everybody he fights. Personality? Really? Wtf does that have to do with... anything?

Could you not quadruple-post next time? Just edit your original post when you have something you want to add, that'll save me (or another mod/admin) from having to merge every post into one to keep things clean. Thanks.

Ok, I just want to point some things out, here. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but Tsung wasn't really the mortal kombat champion at all. It was Prince Goro who held down the fort and won 9 straight MKs.

He drains souls, though. I mean, it's not something that is debilitating. This is a skill of his. He can also shape shift. I mean, come on. The man is just as capable of being as manipulative as Quan Chi. AND, I might add that it's not just soul stealing and shape shifting he can do... The man can do everyone else's moves, EVEN QUAN CHI'S because he can shape shift.

The man has skill. Skill wise, I think he's a better sorcerer, but Quan Chi as a character is just a stronger force to be reckoned with. He's more resourceful than Tsung, personally, but this isn't a result of his magical powers. It's just his personality.