Kung Lao?

Kung Lao87

Hey, as i have stated before, this is my first MK game and i am starting to really love the series. I have played various fighters before, but never really got into mk until my friend got me into mk:a. I have always liked kung lao whenever i watched people play mk, and i started playing him as my main character. i play the game on xbox, and i have recently purchased mk:2 and mk:3 for snes so i can practice the older games. however i am fairly clueless, and everytime i watch my friend play on xbox live i never see anyone pick lao and he never plays lao. i am really a noob, and im still learning the game, but i need to know some things:
Am i putting myself at a disadvantage by playing kung lao? i would like to know this if he is a bad character or something.
What are some good combos for kung lao? The only ones i really know are the ones from the moves list, and a nice combo that is something like x,x,a,l,back+y,x,x,forward+a. other than that i am pretty much in the dark about what technique to use with lao and strategies with him and other combos.
Also, i was watching some mk videos on youtube, and i saw some people playing kung lao on the older games (2 and 3) and they were like using the spin move and his aerial kick or something to combo people across the level and into the corner and like flawless victory alot. is that relatively easy to do and how can i play kung lao in the older games?
Finally, is it worth it to learn more than one character in the mk series?

Again, i am really sorry if this sounds annoying, its just that i have suddenly developed this huge love for the mk series, a series i have never really experienced and its been out for a loooong time, so i need some serious help to catch up with veteran players. im not trying to be some kind of mk poser fan cuz i know im not a book of mk knowledge yet, so i dont try to act like i am, and i know ill try my best to apply whatever anyone will tell me that can help my gameplay. thx in advance i really appreciate all of the help youve given me so far and i hope to learn even more as i play more...

thx for the reassurance(spelling?), but i did check the kombo thread and i couldnt find anything but the one i listed already, and one that involved a wall hit but im not sure how to do that...but what are some ways to play kung lao besides just combos or am i missing the point of mk, is it wait for an opening and then kombo crazy or projectile spam or something? more kombos would help though i admit, and i wanna be able to do those crazu kombos on the older games too lol, but armageddon is my main game so i need to be able to get good enough to compete online...

Also, i was watching some mk videos on youtube, and i saw some people playing kung lao on the older games (2 and 3) and they were like using the spin move and his aerial kick or something to combo people across the level and into the corner and like flawless victory alot. is that relatively easy to do and how can i play kung lao in the older games?
Kung Lao is great to play as in the older MK games. It's just a shame that many people sych as yourself have not had that opportunity yet. Kung Laos' topspin was a great update over his static topspin. And the computer would fall for it almost every singel time. Clasic MK is the shit, man. In order to play the older MK games, try Ebay or a second hand game shop. You'd pick up Midways Arcades Greatest Hits no# 2 cheap. That has MK2 and MK3. It's as good a place to start as any.

Finally, is it worth it to learn more than one character in the mk series?
Oh most definately. But alot of characters in the newer MK games are just lame. But that's my opinion, so yeah.

nice thanks for the advice, btw i did buy mk 2 and 3 for snes today at a gaming store near me, cant wait to play em with kung lao...but neway, yeah ill have to start learning a secondary character to use as well, but im not sure which one yet. Any tips on how to use kung lao in armageddon or combos besides the one i know of already? I really need to step my game up relatively fast...thx for the help again

I was pretty big with Lao back in the high of MK2. Amazing fighter, He had a good turn jump kick, and his hat thown was bloody. I stilll rember the scream people made with it zooming though there bodys. I think Lao was about mid tier, sure no match for Kitana. But he give Cage, Kang, and others a good fight.

In MK3, Lao got a over haul, and outside of his hat thown(I perfer the MK2 hat thown better) for the better, no longer was he open to a drop kick like MK2 with that spin he does. He also had one of the best combos in the game, and juggleing. Sure no were near Smoke or Sector in that regard. But he was decent. A hand full for any one if people can use him.

MK4 I played the Arcade, and Lao was not there. Was he in the home versions??? Just asking.

MKDA. His Mant style in my option was his best style, and he had some good brance style combos that will do hugh damage. Most of his Power moves could be counter if miss, so he was open to being punishing. I play a bit of Lao in MKA, I think he has some great Air Kombos so far as I can see. Over all I think he is a great fighter in the games, game play wise and story wise.

From what I've seen of MKA, Kung Lao has Shaolin Fist which was one of the best rated styles in MKD, and his weapon has a low juggle attack which I think is unique. On paper he should be pretty good in MKA.

With the stifled ps2 controls in MKDA I found kung Lao to be the most accessible character in the game his combo's were simple and effective and his transition combo rocked. Next to Raiden I would have to say he is my favourite character to play. Anyway the combo's in MKA are all fairly simple and similiar so once you have the special moves locked down on particular characters it shouldn't be to hard to learn how to use them together effectively. So yeah branch out and see what the other characters have to offer also find a good distancing move/combo that will work on mini bosses and spam the hell out of it. As for mk2 and 3 combo's I found some good guides at GameFaqs so maybe have a look through the guides there.

thx for all the advice and i look forward to reading and trying out new combos. yeah kung lao is da man, but i cant seem to get the aerial kick into spin or punch juggle going on mk2, can it be done in that game or am i just screwing it up?

Frankly I have never liked Kung Lao. Not in MKII,3,4, or DA. he was this skinny hat throwing Liu Kang wannabe. But the first time I picked him up in MKA I was baffled. He was AMAZING! He is currently one of my favorite characters to play as in MKA and I did indeed use his wind teleport for my KAK (I think it's the best teleport in the game). Shaolin Fist seems more responsive in MKA than it was in DA or D as well. His specials (especially the tornado kick which I also used for my KAK) are easy to do and set people up very nicely. I say stick with Kung Lao b/c he's great. But I have dozens of characters I like to play as. Branch out a bit either way.

cool ok that def reassures me about kung lao, but maybe its just this: i think im not completely getting exactly how one should play a mk fighting game. throughout my life i never really played a "normal" fighter seriously, and the only fighters i actually took seriously and played very well were super smash bros 64 and super smash bros melee, and they are so different than classic fighters its weird adjusting to this style. i really really like the game and i wanna get good at it, especially with kung lao. so what can i do if u understand what im trying to say please help, thx...

Well alot of it is predicting enemy movements and knowing how to BLOCK. You have to block attacks and wait for an opening. And you have to know when to block as well. If you just stand there blocking all the time you're still gonna get beat. So block when you need to and know how the other player moves. Once you get that down you can beat them. But that's all much easier to say than it is to do.