One Moment in Stuttgart

Prophet

Okay, this was an english assignment due today. We had to write about one of the seven deadly sins. Anyway, hopefully you'll like..

-----------

One Moment in Stuttgart
By: Zachary Edwards

The lilacs lined throughout the roadways, slouched over from the weight of the rain collected in its hand. I wore a brown plaid suit along with my Greek fisherman hat of the same color, a briefcase in my left hand, and an umbrella in my right. The streetlights illuminated off the patterned pavement, achieving a golden yellow one can only mimic through the bristles of a brush. I examined my expensive watch which reflected my wrinkled skin, and it read 4:07PM. “Splendid” I thought. I still have time to visit ‘Der Rostige Becher’.”
“Der Rostige Becher” is the hotspot for everyone wealthy and sophisticated. The drinks weren’t fulfilling, as they were filled with so many chemicals it wouldn’t be a surprise to witness someone collapse from the fumes. I approached the building, and peered up at the decorated sign; white with golden words, a golden border, and a champagne glass on its side. I opened the door, which was made from mahogany ribboned with a golden doorknob.
Walking into this establishment was like walking into another world. The floor was layered with a dark brown wood, and the barkeep was directed right upon entering. The bar had two levels, a lower section populated with a light beating down on a stained table centered between two tattered couches, and a higher level. This level was where all of the sophisticated and wealthy people were located, holding glasses of champagne in their hands, and gossiping about the poor people below them.
Upon exiting the bar I noticed a penniless man leaning against the exterior. He looked up at me with his messy hair and his bag filled with trash, and requested my change; I gave him nothing but a glare of disapproval. He responded with a patient “Please sir, I have nothing.” “This homeless vagabond isn’t getting a thing from me.” I thought, and walked to my cozy home.
For the continuing weeks this man kept appearing wherever I was; against walls, sitting on benches, and just following me in general with his bag of trash, reminding me of my decision.
One Saturday evening, about three months after this whole ordeal ensued, I finally exploded at the beggar. He was following me home, carrying his bag and dragging his feet as he usually did, when I shot around and screamed “Leave me alone! Go beg off someone else you bindle!” To no response, he gave. Instead he calmly laid his bag on the dark pavement, and untied it. There, inside this torn piece of fabric, was a beautiful antique locket. He picked up the piece of jewelry layered with gold and silver, and held it in front of my face. The sight of this magnificent beauty was completely indescribable.
He put it into his torn pocket and told me “You think this locket is pretty yes? Say you; this alluring piece of jewelry will be in your sights forever if you donate to me everything you have.” Now, you would expect any man of reason to reject this offer quickly before letting their head get stuck in the clouds. But the thought of that beautiful locket in my grasp made tears of joy puddle in my eyes. I caved in and accepted his offer. He chuckled a humorous chuckle, and replaced my wealth with the antique locket.
Years past, and my happiness was far less then that of the day I destroyed my wealth. The locket which once shone with the beauty of a virgin was now as dim as the trash which lay dead beside me. My clothes were tattered, my teeth were caked with plaque, and I had a hole in my left shoe.
I walked back into “Der Rostige Becher” only to be stared at by the wealthy people in the higher section as if I was a criminal of sorts. That moment the reality of my decision hit me in the face like a brick. My wealth, my happiness, and my luxury, had all disappeared from me because of that one moment in Stuttgart, when my greed shot me between the eyes.