Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

@uker, Thanks a lot man, you don't know how much effort is involved in this character, first time I came here I didn't know anything but a little sculpting in zbrush, now thanks to bleed and many members of this forum I know sooooo much!

@bleed, is it possible to make a morph target in zbrush with the changes in the model uker suggested and enable that at the beginning of the fighting stance animation that way I can keep the skinning? I don't know if the skinning changes if you modify the topology a little bit by moving some verts from its original position..

By the way, I owe you a big one with the gif problem, thanks again man

@uker, Thanks a lot man, you don't know how much effort is involved in this character, first time I came here I didn't know anything but a little sculpting in zbrush, now thanks to bleed and many members of this forum I know sooooo much!
Thank -you- for your great work and for taking my pickiness like a real champ. :)

About your skills, it shows you've come a long way since the first versions of Liu Kang you posted.
I'm kinda at the same point as you were at the start probably, and this project has sometimes made me think of advancing my 3D modeling skills, but then again I knew I wouldn't get there in time to be useful here.

Anyway, keep it up, man!

I can help texture if necessary. I can also assist with rendering if need be, as I'm well versed in MentalRay and VRay, with my preferred method being Vray. I feel that with some tweaks to the SSS skin shaders the models ill really pop beyond the CG look into a more realistic feel if rendered in Vray with some nice HDRI lighting. If you have any models that are not yet unwrapped and/or textured, feel free to toss them my way.

Also, @Bleed, I sent an email to your personal email (from your website) regarding some other stuff.

Hello bbyoshi147, it would be a shame to miss out on your talents. Like Cal said, character work is what we need now, Textures, Rigging usually the Biped skeleton for me and Animation. General information to help everybody improve their work.

Maybe texturing is your thing, but if not I'm sorry. It's nice to have you come around and show some interest.

;---------------------------------------

On the edits to the models, the ninja sprites are done, I'm not going back now.

I'm going to have to call Johnny Cage done also, because If I keep making tiny edits, It'll take for ever to get anywhere.

Also, before I forget, will the backgrounds be sprites/plates as they were in the original? Or has anybody discussed the possibility of a full cg backdrop, with FMV scrolling (similar to what Killer Instinct 1/2 did in the arcade versions) for lateral movement.

The FMV approach is an interesting one.
May save Interloko some parallax programming.
On the other hand, it may be a bit painful to synchronize with all the layers and animated elements that they'd have to add.

Perhaps the FMV approach could be used for only certain arenas without much movement (such as the Pit, with a parallax sky, Pit Bottom, Palace Gates, Warrior Shrine, and Goro's Lair).

@bleed, is it possible to make a morph target in zbrush with the changes in the model uker suggested and enable that at the beginning of the fighting stance animation that way I can keep the skinning? I don't know if the skinning changes if you modify the topology a little bit by moving some verts from its original position..

By the way, I owe you a big one with the gif problem, thanks again man

It is possible, all you have to do is edit the mesh you animated or a copy of it. As long as the vertex order isn't changed, it'll work as a morph.

Modifier stack ref:

-Skin

-Morpher, make your changes to a copy of the mesh, and put it in here as a morph. You can keep it as is or "collapse to".

-Editable Poly

Also, before I forget, will the backgrounds be sprites/plates as they were in the original? Or has anybody discussed the possibility of a full cg backdrop, with FMV scrolling (similar to what Killer Instinct 1/2 did in the arcade versions) for lateral movement.

We talked about this and decided we were going to stick closely to the original. So no animated backgrounds in this version of the game.

Arq, still having trouble with your Lui Kang max file. It just doesn't want to open at all. Any chance you have zBrushR4 and you can pose him within that? That gives me alot more freedom to make the statue. Alternatively, I can hand off the statue to you if you have VRAY 1.5 and then you can simply apply the material yourself? Let me know how you want to work this.

Arq, still having trouble with your Lui Kang max file. It just doesn't want to open at all. Any chance you have zBrushR4 and you can pose him within that? That gives me alot more freedom to make the statue. Alternatively, I can hand off the statue to you if you have VRAY 1.5 and then you can simply apply the material yourself? Let me know how you want to work this.

That's really weird cause I sent you an archive and its supposed to open in any computer, also I double checked saving it to max 2011, I'll send again in a lower version of max and will notify, you if it doesn't work we will see what to do next, thanks and sorry cal, what do you say about liu's animation by the way?

it looks like his torso is twisting independent from his shorts.
I suppose in final version where the sash flips, it wont be noticeable.

sorry for my bad English.

Please tell me the sash isn't going to flip? If you are going to do that then his hair can't be different from one side to the next either. I think this falls into the same category as the sunglasses. It just will be better to not not flip.

@Bleed - is the spine from Sub-Zero's Fatality final? Not that what I think matters but I think it looks un-proportionate to the body to me (too fat)? Sorry, I certainly couldn't do it better myself it was just something that caught my eye.

Last edited:
Guess I'll blend the stomach skin weights a little but the sprite has to flip like in the game, we don't have room for double the sprites.

The double sprites means we have to do these things.

Animate cloth from both sides.

Add code to every move, so it uses a different set of sprites to avoid flipping.

Add twice as many sprites for asymmetrical models.

Deviate from the classic setup

So it is possible, but needs a lot more work to pull off.

Last edited:
Guess I'll blend the stomach skin weights a little but the sprite has to flip like in the game, we don't have room for double the sprites.

The double sprites means we have to do these things.

Animate cloth from both sides.

Add code to every move, so it uses a different set of sprites to avoid flipping.

Add twice as many sprites for asymmetrical models.

Deviate from the classic setup

So it is possible, but needs a lot more work to pull off.

Oh, I remember reading that a few posts back now that you mention it, but I didn't quite understand the context... it makes sense now.

Still this game is seriously going to be epic when its done, you all have done an amazing job so far!

That's really weird cause I sent you an archive and its supposed to open in any computer, also I double checked saving it to max 2011, I'll send again in a lower version of max and will notify, you if it doesn't work we will see what to do next, thanks and sorry cal, what do you say about liu's animation by the way?

To me, I think Kang's Test Your Might will require Bleed to do the rigging. I think Lui's resting stance looks amazing. If it were me, I would call it done.

Hey Cris Berserk, if you want some references for Sonya, I did some adjustements (Gimp Edit) on the one posted by Mortal Gojira:

s3_zps1d928322.png

@Bleed, hook me up with whatever needs UVW/Texturing/Shading. Also, I'd like to take a stab at the pit bottom if you don't mind. I really think I can improve upon it.