Official Anime Discussion

Re: What Are Some Of Your Favorite Animes!?

I know that I annoy you all with my hard on for Samurai Champloo, but seriously, if you're a fan of hip hop, just listen to this shit:

Nujabes was a god amongst gods at hip hop instrumentals

Usually art styles and interesting plots draw me towards anime

I like Samurai champloo also, and for chillout music they got some nice stuff. But it doesn't have enough layers for me to truly fall in love with the songs.

I got maaaaaaad respect for Watanabe for giving me not one, but two badass animes (Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo)

An anime has to be well-thought out for me to enjoy it. I generally like stuff with an engrossing plot, and a tone that isn't too silly. There are exceptions though, to everything. Something recurring to me has been how women are portrayed in anime; I generally like anime where the women are strong, intelligent characters, whether their alignment is good or bad. I also really value imagination in anime. If it's too heavily reliant on tropes and cliches of any given genre, it won't appeal to me really.

Another kind of anime I like is one which appears to be not-so-serious on the surface but has a lot of subtext and meaning underneath if you look carefully.

An anime has to be well-thought out for me to enjoy it. I generally like stuff with an engrossing plot, and a tone that isn't too silly. There are exceptions though, to everything. Something recurring to me has been how women are portrayed in anime; I generally like anime where the women are strong, intelligent characters, whether their alignment is good or bad. I also really value imagination in anime. If it's too heavily reliant on tropes and cliches of any given genre, it won't appeal to me really.

Another kind of anime I like is one which appears to be not-so-serious on the surface but has a lot of subtext and meaning underneath if you look carefully.

Strong female roles is another reason I like Anime.

Even though I like Ah! My Goddess

Is it only me that when Belldandy acts like a perfect little housewife and it kind of bugs me. I don't know exactly why. I think it's the fact that keichi is letting her cook and not helping out. he'll be in his room watching TV or something.

I dunno, I have a pet peeve when dudes don't help out the significant other around the house.

what also gets me into anime is if they have some well done fights that are not frequent

FMA Brotherhood does it right

Distinct atmosphere and overall feel is a big thing for me in anime

Big O, Black Lagoon, Tenchi Muyo, Deadman Wonderland and Cowboy Bebop all have this in spades

Strong female roles is another reason I like Anime.

Even though I like Ah! My Goddess

Is it only me that when Belldandy acts like a perfect little housewife and it kind of bugs me. I don't know exactly why. I think it's the fact that keichi is letting her cook and not helping out. he'll be in his room watching TV or something.

I dunno, I have a pet peeve when dudes don't help out the significant other around the house.

Yeah, I hear you. Ah! My Goddess! is a hysterical show though, and I actually really like it despite its tropes of perfect-shufu harem character (Belldandy) and hopeless (yet sensitive) guy (Keichi). I own the DVDs either way. The first time I saw it, I literally laughed so hard I woke everyone in the house at about 2AM. Another show that has similar elements (in how you were mentioning Belldandy's character) is Fruits Basket. I actually kind of hate Toru Honda, but at the same time, find her cute, to the point I've convinced a friend of mine to cosplay her with me (her as Toru, me as Hanajima). It's also one of those shows I make an exception for.

I guess generally speaking, unless there's some outstanding circumstances, I don't like anime with stereotypical gender roles, or at least not hypermasculine/hyperfeminine ones.

Yeah, I hear you. Ah! My Goddess! is a hysterical show though, and I actually really like it despite its tropes of perfect-shufu harem character (Belldandy) and hopeless (yet sensitive) guy (Keichi). I own the DVDs either way. The first time I saw it, I literally laughed so hard I woke everyone in the house at about 2AM. Another show that has similar elements (in how you were mentioning Belldandy's character) is Fruits Basket. I actually kind of hate Toru Honda, but at the same time, find her cute, to the point I've convinced a friend of mine to cosplay her with me (her as Toru, me as Hanajima). It's also one of those shows I make an exception for.

I guess generally speaking, unless there's some outstanding circumstances, I don't like anime with stereotypical gender roles, or at least not hypermasculine/hyperfeminine ones.

I agree I share the same opinion of Toru from that anime. I own the DVD's of Ah! my goddess as well haha.

-----

seriously if anyone hasn't watched Bakemonogatari. You should. The dialogue makes me roffle in my waffle. It has a lot of talking but it's the talking that makes me like it. The action is cool and all too, (rare).

Interesting replies. I was curious because although anime was localized in the US since the 80's, it didn't pick up steam until somewhere in the late 90's. What started as a few VHS titles to stores (for a while anyways) having DVD sections dedicated to anime.

I was introduced to anime a little bit before the Pokemon craze took over, but I had limited means and opportunities to watch them. At the time, I find them aesthetically pleasing (and still do for certain titles). Personally, I shy away from really long series, unless they have episodes are self-contained stories such as Lupin III. I tend to lean towards science fiction and fantasy, but that can apply to any other entertainment media. Other than that, I take things on individual basis since the stuff I like can range from comedic like Lupin to bleak like Grave of the Fireflies.

Last edited:

Anime is just one of those things I couldn't help but grow up with in most ways. Virtually whenever I was in Japan visiting my folks, that's what was on in the afternoons. So, I got exposed to a lot of stuff.

Funny enough I saw dragonball when I was like 5-8 years old don't remember the exact age.

but I saw it in Korea lol. I even remember the korean version of the theme song.

DB > DBZ

Anyway, when it comes to Ghost in the Shell, I sort of like the Major's portrayal more in the TV series than the movie. Like, I like her a lot in the movie but I liked how in SAC/2nd GiG she had somewhat of a playful side to her. That made her really entertaining to watch yet she still retains that badass, commanding presence that she's always had

Dragonball is underrated, well here in the US at least

Sort of saddens me to know that a lot of people don't even know who Launch is despite her being a main character at one point because they only know about DBZ (and, no, those two appearances she had in DBZ don't count)

The funny thing was I played a SNES DBZ game long before I was aware it was a media franchise. It would be about a decade later, that I got an opportunity to watch it, since I was visiting relatives who had cable. Initially, I enjoyed it, but the way battles dragged on started to wear away my attention. What got me excited was when Tenchi Muyo was first aired on Toonami; unfortunately it was late in the summer so my viewing got cut short.

I never got a chance to watch the original Dragon Ball, but I have read some of the manga and like it so far.

Last edited:

I love me some Tenchi Muyo

The English dub isn't as good as I remembered it being when I first saw it plus Ayeka is annoying, but still I love it, definitely the only harem anime that I actually like

Amazing OST, plus Ryoko alone makes it worth watching