Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Will you be doing the music in stereo? Please say yes... some mild stereo reverb in the songs would be nice too especially for those who have surround sound. It's already been confirmed that MUGEN can do stereo sound and that the remake will have it for the sound effects. The original board had monoraul sound but we aren't limited to it any more just like we aren't limited to SD for the visuals.

Will you be doing the music in stereo? Please say yes... some mild stereo reverb in the songs would be nice too especially for those who have surround sound. It's already been confirmed that MUGEN can do stereo sound and that the remake will have it for the sound effects. The original board had monoraul sound but we aren't limited to it any more just like we aren't limited to SD for the visuals.

Haha yeah of course it will be stereo. There will be left, right and center tracks. It wouldn't be much of a HD mix if it was in mono.

Here's what I have so far.

I tried to match the animation as close as I could, but I can't really get it exactly. No animation on the loincloth yet.

Critiques are always welcome.

MK1Scorp_stance_wip.gif

Last edited:

I tried to match the animation as close as I could, but I can't really get it exactly. No animation on the loincloth yet.

MK1Scorp_stance_wip.gif

Woah! ! ! Cool and zuper AWESOME! It's okay, it's kinda close to the real animation . . B.t.w. can you darken Scorpion a lil bit? very little . . He's kinda bright . .

MK1Scorp_stance_wip.gif

Bleed that is looking amazing!
I don't have much time to talk now but I'll offer some critique soon, anyway it's definitely great work

Woah! ! ! Cool and zuper AWESOME! It's okay, it's kinda close to the real animation . . B.t.w. can you darken Scorpion a lil bit? very little . . He's kinda bright . .

It doesn't look too bright, Scorpion looks correct to me. I just don't think he fully matches the background.

Calactyte, I love the work you've been doing on the backgrounds, but if I can offer some criticism, I feel the Pit could use some improvement. Specifically the backdrop like sky, clouds, moon, mountains - it doesn't look realistic enough to me. I'm assuming the clouds will be moving in the final version, but regardless, it'd be great if you could experiment with it more. The lighting needs some more work too IMO.

Anyway if the characters are being made very realistic then the backgrounds will need to match that level of realism, so that it doesn't look disjointed. Like I said I think you are doing a great job, but there are some areas that could use extra attention.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Scorpion look dead on to me. Great job Bleed!!!! I honestly wouldn't change a thing about the animation. It feels right to me. Once the loin cloth is animated as secondary motion it'll be perfect.

The color of the sky was sampled directly from the arcade background though I'm using a gradient instead of a flat color blue. I don't think realism is the goal here. The original game had realistic looking characters in quite unrealistic (and flat) looking backgrounds. It is an artistic preference. I'm willing to give the clouds another go, but I wouldn't be shooting for realism since the original game had very unrealistic looking clouds back there. In fact I might just remake the original clouds as they were to stay closer to the original game. I'm not willing to change the lighting at this point. It looks moon lit and that was my goal. Could it be improved? Absolutely, but it's a huge amount of time and effort to split hairs(my opinion).

I've heard a few people tell me that the mountains aren't realistic enough, but I'm still waiting for someone to send me some new mountains to fix that. It won't look more realistic if I create them in 3D. Again, look at the original arcade. Does the moonlight mountains look real to you? I would be interested in revisiting the clouds and possibly the mountain range, but not anything else. Also we are delving into the realm of artistic opinion vs. fact so it gets sort of murkey. Smoke.Tetsu has heard me say this several times already, but I want to reinforce it here again. I value your opinion and suggestions even if I won't always agree with them. So by all means please continue to point out the things you don't like. I'll selectively go through and 'fix' what I agree with.

Impressive is an understatement!
I can't imagine the work you guys are putting into this!
I once made a Master Shake char from scratch and it was HELL.
He's online.. somewhere unfinished... HDD fried... literally! gave up.
My only gripe is this stuff is TOO GOOD! You guys are going for gold and there's nothing wrong with that. Just remember to backup frequently and go at your own pace.
You're gonna make my year!

Scorpion look dead on to me. Great job Bleed!!!! I honestly wouldn't change a thing about the animation. It feels right to me. Once the loin cloth is animated as secondary motion it'll be perfect.

The color of the sky was sampled directly from the arcade background though I'm using a gradient instead of a flat color blue. I don't think realism is the goal here. The original game had realistic looking characters in quite unrealistic (and flat) looking backgrounds. It is an artistic preference. I'm willing to give the clouds another go, but I wouldn't be shooting for realism since the original game had very unrealistic looking clouds back there. In fact I might just remake the original clouds as they were to stay closer to the original game. I'm not willing to change the lighting at this point. It looks moon lit and that was my goal. Could it be improved? Absolutely, but it's a huge amount of time and effort to split hairs(my opinion).

I've heard a few people tell me that the mountains aren't realistic enough, but I'm still waiting for someone to send me some new mountains to fix that. It won't look more realistic if I create them in 3D. Again, look at the original arcade. Does the moonlight mountains look real to you? I would be interested in revisiting the clouds and possibly the mountain range, but not anything else. Also we are delving into the realm of artistic opinion vs. fact so it gets sort of murkey. Smoke.Tetsu has heard me say this several times already, but I want to reinforce it here again. I value your opinion and suggestions even if I won't always agree with them. So by all means please continue to point out the things you don't like. I'll selectively go through and 'fix' what I agree with.

Perhaps I could've explained it a little better. Basically, in the original game the devs could get away with unrealistic/flat looking backgrounds, because of the lower resolution and considering their tech and budget, I'm sure it was really the best they could do. I don't believe though that all aspects of their design can hold up in HD, and extra details are needed to reinforce the original idea; you've already included some yourself, such as cracks in the bridge, less uniform texture etc. and I think this stuff is necessary (or a necessary evil) to bring those backgrounds to life. The most important of those extra details is lighting IMO.

But realism isn't actually the point. The point is consistency. However unrealistic the original backgrounds are, they work with the digitized actors. For the most part at least, they were limited by the tech after all. In a HD setting, if Bleed is making his models as realistic as he can, the appropriate thing to do is to make your backgrounds as realistic as his models. Otherwise, they could look disjointed and not function as they should. That's why I believe artistic opinion on this topic is irrelevant, because the goal should simply be to match your work to his work; in this case, match the level of realism. If he was making more illustrated characters, it'd be your job to make just as illustrated backgrounds. That's probably the best I can explain it (after so many edits). I think the cancelled MKAKHD took this realistic approach as well, from seeing the type of work that their background designer did (if that has any bearing).

Of course I am talking within reason though, to just do the best you can with the time you have. If making more elaborate lighting for instance is just not practical for you, then that's fine. However considering the amount of time we have to finish this project, which is a lot, I don't think it's a bad idea to leave it as something to revisit later after all the backgrounds are done. Otherwise if someone else of your skill level approaches us about the project, you could pass the responsibility of lighting over to them if you feel it could be improved.

Anyway I am always open to other opinions so again please share your thoughts on this.

PS: I can send you new mountains if you need them

Last edited:
Years ago I learned the hard way to backup my work. I have 3Ds.max set to incremental save, so it creates a new file every time. I won't lose any work because of corruption.

I'm also backing up with an external hard drive and another computer, so I should be safe.

Years ago I learned the hard way to backup my work. I have 3Ds.max set to incremental save, so it creates a new file every time. I won't lose any work because of corruption.

I'm also backing up with an external hard drive and another computer, so I should be safe.

I was just thinking, later in the project it might be a good idea to have some online storage; a private database to store our work in case anything happens. Like you, I had to learn the hard way about backing up, and more than once (slow learner). That way all our work is in one place and can simply be downloaded again should any of us run into any nightmares. What do you think?

The way I see it, someone losing months of work has the potential to kill this project. I'm sure everyone's taking steps to ensure that doesn't happen, but you can never have enough protection against it IMO.

Love that Scorpion, here they are side by side;
2zyzihf.gif
4lk374.gif

I don't mind having the work backed up online, it's a good idea actually.
If you're looking for something free and big in capacity, try ADrive.
They offer 50GB of web storage space for free. I think it's the biggest free one.

But realism isn't actually the point. The point is consistency. However unrealistic the original backgrounds are, they work with the digitized actors. For the most part at least, they were limited by the tech after all. In a HD setting, if Bleed is making his models as realistic as he can, the appropriate thing to do is to make your backgrounds as realistic as his models. Otherwise, they could look disjointed and not function as they should. That's why I believe artistic opinion on this topic is irrelevant, because the goal should simply be to match your work to his work; in this case, match the level of realism. If he was making more illustrated characters, it'd be your job to make just as illustrated backgrounds. That's probably the best I can explain it (after so many edits). I think the cancelled MKAKHD took this realistic approach as well, from seeing the type of work that their background designer did (if that has any bearing).

I like this part couldn't have said it better myself. This is the reason why I did not like the masked guard a few pages back and suggested that maybe Bleed could do that one as well because it just does not match Bleeds models. The cloth on it for example should resemble real cloth.

Last edited:
What impresses me most is how good the fluidity of the animation looks compared to the original. I'm really thinking the game could look incredible at 60fps with those extra frames of animation.

MK1Scorp_stance_wip.gif