Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I'll do the posing because I have the software and know what needs do be done if something goes wrong. The shaders, stage and lighting needs to be set up a certain way aside from doing the pose.

I can render a pose after all that and send the picture for someone else to put it together for the endings.

Last edited:
About SFII... I was talking about all the moves in general not really the standing idle animation. I'd explain more but then I'd just be repeating myself. BTW it's not like I'm against MK or anything or that I'm a street fighter fan in disguise but generally speaking again many of the moves like jump kicks had things like flapping cloth from the air compared to the relatively less frames of animation a jump kick had in MK when the character is sailing through the air.... whoops, I did it anyway. Killer Instinct had more frames of animation in general than either though.

I used to ignore the critics who criticized the lack of frames of animation in MK compared to the more drawn looking 2D fighters though because the benefits of the digitized look outweighed the drawbacks of having less animation in my opinion.

Either way they didn't recreate the graphics in SFII HD Remix with 3D models like this project they just took each frame and redrew it in HD.... although that's a lot of work so it's not "just".

If we could have more tweening in the MK1 HD Remix without adversely affecting gameplay I'd be all for it though. Just like I'd be for fully parallaxed FMV backgrounds similar to KI although right now the tweening seems more possible.

BTW, I'd imagine Bleed could do the posing for the ending screens and then whoever edits them into ending pics would then crop it and add any post processing effect it needs to match the original. The endings in MK2 and later especially would need lots of post processing effects especially Raiden's ending.

Last edited:
That would be great Bleed. Scorpions ending poses shouldn't be too tough to render out.

I'll do the posing because I have the software and know what needs do be done if something goes wrong. The shaders, stage and lighting needs to be set up a certain way aside from doing the pose.

I can render a pose after all that and send the picture for someone else to put it together for the endings.

Update on the cloth rig

vestrig.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't like it if it was cropped vertically to make widescreen rather than have the view increased on the width.

Zooming the view in and cropping off the top and bottom is what is known as vert- which reduces the amount of picture available and I prefer hor+ which preserves the height yet increases the horzontal view.. the way widescreen should be.

I wouldn't like it if it was cropped vertically to make widescreen rather than have the view increased on the width.

Zooming the view in and cropping off the top and bottom is what is known as vert- which reduces the amount of picture available and I prefer hor+ which preserves the height yet increases the horzontal view.. the way widescreen should be.

It's not cropped like that, there is extra information on the sides. I was just referring to the text/lifebars, and having another look at it I'm guessing that it was an artistic decision on Calactyte's part to have them larger than in the original. So I think I went too deep into it last post, I'm just going to stay with the workflow I've been using but would like him to shed some light on what I brought up.

There will be a body there I believe, it's there in the original game at least;

mlshky.jpg

Blood is now where the green circle is on this pic, but I don't think it will be noticeable once calactyte puts a body there.

Dont worry. I will be designing the blood for this game, and will have samples for the background in levels as well.

@jarvis653: i've changed the lifebars size to fit arcades
this is how it looks now:

sz8y0x.jpg

the backgrounds has a part wich is only visible when jump, being uppercut, etc. if the image has 800px height is for that reasson, it's the full stage.

@jarvis653: i've changed the lifebars size to fit arcades
this is how it looks now:

sz8y0x.jpg

the backgrounds has a part wich is only visible when jump, being uppercut, etc. if the image has 800px height is for that reasson, it's the full stage.

I just did it myself then too, in the process of changing all other in-game text to arcade size as well. I'll post the whole thing, and if you guys are fine with it then I'll send you the updated version Interloko.

Ok so firstly, Calactyte am I right in saying that you've determined your own sizes for the in-game UI? Because I wasn't able to find a workflow that matches the sizes you've made. Scaling to 1134x720 doesn't work, and neither does 1280x813. After doing some tests, I can sort of see why you made the choices you did too. I'll let you guys look at them:

Calactyte's -
ingamecalactyte.png

Arcade size -
ingameoriginalo.png

16:9 positioning -
]
ingame169.png

16:9 stretching:
ingame169stretch.png

So basically, keeping original size bars doesn't look good, and 16:9 positioning of the original bars doesn't look good either. The only ones that do look good are Calactytes and the last one which has everything original size except for the bars stretched to 16:9.

Pros and cons -
Calactyte's does work but is different to the original and won't be as consistent with the rest of the game.
16:9 stretched bars do work, but will mean I have to resize all of the other in-game text too, which will take me some time.

Please let me know your thoughts on this guys.

PS: I've almost nailed the background on the Insert Coin and VS screen so I'll update you all on that soon for feedback.

Last edited:

Woah! I love to see that . . !

Guys, i'm a lawyer. If anyone tries to shut this down, i'll give 'em hell.

lol ! !

That one's much too small and too high, it's size isn't relative to anything else either. Do you like none of the others?
you are wrong, the lifebar is same size as arcade scaled to 720p
5bkno.gif

i put them higher to have more visibily of the stage
the text (scorpion) is a bit smaller than arcade but this is to make it full visible without overlap the lifebar

you are wrong, the lifebar is same size as arcade scaled to 720p
5bkno.gif

i put them higher to have more visibily of the stage
the text (scorpion) is a bit smaller than arcade but this is to make it full visible without overlap the lifebar

I was just about to say your text is too small then, I don't think it looks good smaller and should be kept at original size. Otherwise it looks strange compared to everything else. The names are definitely visible enough in the original.

As for having them that high, the clock will be much too close to the lifebars (or the top of the screen) and again looks strange because the distance from the character's head to the lifebars is not the same. It gives the perception that the characters are not big enough.

This is why I'm kind of obsessive about keeping everything in same size and composition, because if you make one thing different from the original then it affects the whole thing. For it all to function as it should then everything needs to be relative to each other.

Last edited:
you ask about it and i gave my answer, i don't like any of your examples. if i have to choose one, i prefer mine.
this is a quick mock-up pasting the timer, scores and win icon from another image:

2znwtjc.jpg

for me this position of lifebars and timer fills better the screen and keep the arcade size upscaled to 720

you ask about it and i gave my answer, i don't like any of your examples. if i have to choose one, i prefer mine.
this is a quick mock-up pasting the timer, scores and win icon from another image:

2znwtjc.jpg

for me this position of lifebars and timer fills better the screen and keep the arcade size upscaled to 720

That's fine I respect your opinion, I'm just explaining why I think the original works much better. For me this image looks strange with everything squashed at the top. At the moment it's only us with differing opinions, more people need to give feedback on this topic so we can come to a decision on it. At least I hope that you will reconsider should others prefer one of the four I posted instead (or rather one of the two).

Also, I need to ask are you intending on making your own changes to other things? Just that I'm doing some careful work on the UI and I wouldn't want it changed once it's posted and everyone's satisfied.